A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JLwantsurcookies

07-29-2013

The whole retaining movement speed after he exits his ult sounds really cool. Like a Lion chasing down his prey (a different sort of hunting than what Rengar does now).

At 14 BTN stacks Rengar could have enemy champions (Kha'zix players in particular) experience fits of paranoia while in brush in proximity to Rengar? Mini fears when hit in brush by Rengar? Or Misses due to fear( something akin to Shaco's e passive?)

Mangamangamanga

07-29-2013

I have an idea for the full stacks on BTN.

Enemies receive a mark when they are in range of Thrill of the Hunt, correct? Perhaps, with a fully stacked BTN, a second mark could be applied, that Rengar consumes when he leaps out of his ultimate. This mark gives him the ability to jump again to another marked target, possibly consuming that mark and jumping yet again to another marked target. There is a lot of room for thought on how this would be balanced, but I think it opens up the possibility for "big plays" without making his gameplay toxic again.

N49

07-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wav3Break View Post
If you guys have any thoughts on what epic thing Rengar should get at maximum stacks toss'em out! I look forward to the ideas you guys will give me and Scarizard!
My opinion is that he should drop the necklace entirely.

Roll the headhunting mechanic into his passive/ultimate if you really think it's essential to him, but the item itself is just a gimmick.
It never really achieved anything that couldn't have been handled with other items stat wise, and the bonuses to his abilities only made/make it problematic to balance the character(since there's 4 separate states of win/lose).

doublelift fg

07-29-2013

yea please, make at 14 stack the item disappears for late game

doublelift fg

07-29-2013

and will BTN give still 2 ad per lvl?

cimbop

07-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
I think Riot would like to stray away from the "I kill you in 3 seconds" play pattern most other assassins have. Let's be honest, dying to Kha'zix in 3 seconds is pretty frustrating.
3 seconds is usually the right amount of time it takes to escape a gank, given how much mobility and CC everyone has these days.
The problem with Rengar is that he has burst damage and CC to stop the enemy from getting away, obviously if Riot wanted to keep him as an assassin they'd tone down his CC but instead they're keeping it and nerfing his assassin playstyle.

Quote:
Upon my return i'd like to get a clearer update on where things are headed and prepare to clock another iteration as well as have that big 'Bruiser or Assassin?' talk that's on everyone's minds.
Also Scarizard said that a week ago, Xelnath said he wasn't able to talk about that since it wasn't his area so it still very much looks like everything's moving ahead without them caring about our feedback regarding whether or not we agree with the Bruiser direction.
I'd really appreciate the Bruiser or Assassin talk before we see any more changes.

Taint Misbehavin

07-29-2013

Quote:
The big changes we will be testing this week are Bone Tooth Necklace which will now give Rengar a personalized jungle item which has a really favorable build path out of Long Sword and Hunter's Machete. The overall price of the item has stayed the same but as Scarizard said in his posts, "mini-brutalizer" - esque stats will no longer exist on BTN. BTN is now an item that gives Rengar bonuses that directly impact his mobility in the jungle and thus his overall map pressure.
seems silly to build out of damage items and not have the stats. if i'm investing in damage, it feels wrong to lose that damage later on an upgrade.

if you're intent on dropping the "mini-brutalizer" aspect, you could have it build from a Ruby Crystal or Ruby Crystal+ Machete (and provide a marginal amount of health + 'Butcher').

otherwise, you might as well just make it a simple cash uprgade from Machete if it is strictly utility, no stats.

ModAbuseFriday

07-29-2013

Here's some suggestions that i belive would make Rengar feel great with the fullstacked BTN.

I remember back when Rengar was released, he had the abillity to double leaps, and it felt really great when you could pull it off. Having a buff for a few seconds after your initial leap, that grants you the abiility to leap again from your position, would make Bushmindtrick Rengar insanely fun.

Another suggestion would be giving Rengar the ability to jump to teammates, which may be really usefull for lategame plays during teamfights. This would also grant Rengar the abillity to make creative plays, especially with a well coordinated team.

These are changes that will make Rengar feel stronger the second he gets 14 stacks, and are really fun to play around with.

ChocoKelly

07-29-2013

Quote:
Hey everybody, just wanted to update you guys with the current testing status of our current iteration of Rengar.

Heavy destructive testing will continue for the Empowered Savagery refunding 3 ferocity points play pattern. This past week we found that Rengar was still doing too much damage in too little of a time frame which is a problem we still need to solve within this iteration. This iteration also makes jungle Rengar incredibly resourceful as he can walk away from each creep camp with more ferocity stacks and gank lanes without as much preparation.

The big changes we will be testing this week are Bone Tooth Necklace which will now give Rengar a personalized jungle item which has a really favorable build path out of Long Sword and Hunter's Machete. The overall price of the item has stayed the same but as Scarizard said in his posts, "mini-brutalizer" - esque stats will no longer exist on BTN. BTN is now an item that gives Rengar bonuses that directly impact his mobility in the jungle and thus his overall map pressure. The current bonuses in place look something like this:

3 Stacks - Rengar gains 15% movement speed while in brush(bonus does not persist outside of brush like Nidalee's)

6 Stacks - Rengar gains 100 range on his Leap(slightly nerfed due to having access to it earlier.)

9 Stacks - Rengar retains movement speed from his Ultimate for 5 seconds after exiting his ultimate. (Rocket cat goes zooooooooom)

The 14 stack bonus is still a pretty big grey area as we want Rengar players to reach this epic state at 14 stacks but we don't want them to do so at the cost of making his game play toxic again.

An additional mechanic we will be testing with BTN is allowing Rengar players to build stacks out of neutral monster kills. Currently the amount of neutral monster kills required to build a stack is pretty hefty, which encourages jungle Rengar to invade the enemy jungle to take camps but also hopefully interact with the enemy jungler. This mechanic is still kind of the grey area as well because it might give too many advantages to a jungle Rengar over a lane Rengar and we don't want to make laning Rengar's feel bad for purchasing this item.

If you guys have any thoughts on what epic thing Rengar should get at maximum stacks toss'em out! I look forward to the ideas you guys will give me and Scarizard!
Pls do bonus movement speed persist for last 1 second after out of brush with 3 stacks

Nores

07-29-2013

In B4 another botched rework