A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tholt

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wav3Break View Post
Just to buffer Scarizard's post, I am currently tuning the new "Q-Train" destroyer knife cat damage window and I'm not gonna lie, this thing feels freaking awesome to pull off. You will knife more than you ever could and stab peoples faces like no tomorrow. Now time to balance and test it more :P. Again everything is subject to change.

I would also like to ask some questions:

How would you guys feel about Bola Strike being a skill shot?

How would you guys feel about Empowered Bola Strike bringing a little bit more team utility?

P.S. I think Bone Tooth is feeling pretty healthy building out of a Hunter's machete for all of you jungle Rangos out there .

Continue to give us great ideas guys we will continue to iterate and try our best to make sure Rengar becomes an awesome and healthy character!
I dunno. I mean it feels like for a champion specific item to have a build path that is solely based out of a jungle item...it feels like he's forced into a jungle role. Is it possible to have two different versions of Bonetooth prehaps? Similer to Victor's upgrade. Like one of them grants faster clear time, and a bunch of things that would help a jungler, while the other would be similer to the one that already exists at the moment. And the skill shot idea on his E sounds wonderful. Maybe, increase it's range if you do make it a skill shot? Because it is, after all, a short range spell. I think Ezreal's Q has a longer range on it that Rengar's E at the moment.

KevinDelMarr

07-18-2013

Let's say Bola becomes a skillshot, since it's harder to pull off make it always snare (since that's what bolas do) and make his empowered either a larger, AoE one or a triple throw like Kha W. More reward for landing one, more counter play for the enemy, and teamwide utility with the AoE. Oh, and increase its range since it's a skillshot now

Now Rengar feels more like a bad@ss wrangler

Rastamon Ganja

07-18-2013

IMO Bola should not be a skill shot, doesnt fit in with Rengar. For me, Bola seems to be more of a cc/slow/stun/root ability then a damage ability.

Also will there be a movement speed buff for rengar? He is pretty slow.

Currently Rengar is one of the slowest jungle clearers compared to champs like Udyr etc. especially in early game.

What if his W had a neutral monsters/creep only damage to help with jungle clear and minion waves? or i guess the new machete/bonetooth could help with that.

Xzorcist

07-18-2013

I feel like if rengar gets a movement speed bonus when he is not visible to the enemy team, it will allow him to tell which bushes are warded by simply checking his movement speed when in brush. It seems a little too strong to me to be able to tell for sure what is warded without actually seeing the ward get placed or a pink/oracles.

AstroPen

07-18-2013

Bola as a skill shot sounds good as long as you buff the range a little to compensate. I like the idea waiting in anticipation, then jumping in and trying to land your moves instead of just instantly killing them.

hoxE

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
I forgot to mention this in my other post, but I was actually wondering if you guys could get Rengars passive to trigger while unseen by enemies in general, instead of just while hes in bush.
Like, Rengar is supposed to stalk and then jump his opponents from the shadows, so why not have it be able to trigger while simply in the fog of war?

It would give Rengar a few new plays he could make, like juking into the fog to get that extra gap closer so that he could gain an extra edge as a jungle hunter.

I'll admit there are a few edge cases where this could be kinda ridiculous, like jumping into/out of the Baron/Dragon pit or engaging across a lot of the jungle walls (I'm thinking specifically around the Base wall where there isn't any brush), but it would be really thematically interesting and give him an extra layer of terror, as well as open up new opportunities for skilled players to demonstrate their mastery of brush/vision manipulation.
Fantastic ideas detected!

NA Darklarik

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
I forgot to mention this in my other post, but I was actually wondering if you guys could get Rengars passive to trigger while unseen by enemies in general, instead of just while hes in bush.
Like, Rengar is supposed to stalk and then jump his opponents from the shadows, so why not have it be able to trigger while simply in the fog of war?

It would give Rengar a few new plays he could make, like juking into the fog to get that extra gap closer so that he could gain an extra edge as a jungle hunter.

I'll admit there are a few edge cases where this could be kinda ridiculous, like jumping into/out of the Baron/Dragon pit or engaging across a lot of the jungle walls (I'm thinking specifically around the Base wall where there isn't any brush), but it would be really thematically interesting and give him an extra layer of terror, as well as open up new opportunities for skilled players to demonstrate their mastery of brush/vision manipulation.
While this is a great idea, how would a player know when he is NOT in the enemies vision range? This would give Rengar passive Ward detection, and in the middle of battle it would be preety inconsistant if your passive is switching on and off as your enemies lose and regain vision of you

Griiffy

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkshank6 View Post
A few ideas I've had that I'm just going to toss out. Some may be absurd or ridiculous, but at the very least it can get people thinking in different directions.

Remember, just ideas....

Make him permastealth in bushes. In other words... he would be completely permanently stealthed while in a bush and would only appear while attacking. (think akali's shroud)

Instead of double tapping on 5 fury (it's called fury, right?) for crazy burst.... what if his activating skill reduced the cooldown on all other abilities by 50%? (barring his ultimate.... or maybe -10 seconds on ultimate....) Then it would spread his burst around a bit more.... but give more options....

How about a passive on bonetooth that represented the champions he killed? So that it feels more like a trophy... Something like: "On champion kill, Rengar permanently absorbs 1% of the victim's total health/ad/as/move speed/etc"
Yeah lets make him OP nice.

Crüniac

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Darklarik View Post
While this is a great idea, how would a player know when he is NOT in the enemies vision range? This would give Rengar passive Ward detection, and in the middle of battle it would be preety inconsistant if your passive is switching on and off as your enemies lose and regain vision of you
I said it before and I'll say it again, attribute it to the fact that cats have some of the best noses out there. So just make it so he can see everything in a small radius around him, and so what if he can detect wards indirectly. It gives him a little bit more hunter wisdom, like learning your prey's strengths so you can better exploit their weaknesses.

This also goes well with jumping from FOW. So you can see everything in your jumping radius at all times, making Rengar a really safe jungler and making it so he almost always has the drop on people.

Tortferngatr

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wav3Break View Post
Just to buffer Scarizard's post, I am currently tuning the new "Q-Train" destroyer knife cat damage window and I'm not gonna lie, this thing feels freaking awesome to pull off. You will knife more than you ever could and stab peoples faces like no tomorrow. Now time to balance and test it more :P. Again everything is subject to change.

I would also like to ask some questions:

How would you guys feel about Bola Strike being a skill shot?

How would you guys feel about Empowered Bola Strike bringing a little bit more team utility?

P.S. I think Bone Tooth is feeling pretty healthy building out of a Hunter's machete for all of you jungle Rangos out there .

Continue to give us great ideas guys we will continue to iterate and try our best to make sure Rengar becomes an awesome and healthy character!
I would be interested as a non-Rengar-player (who HAS played knifecat on PBE) in seeing a weaker targeted slow that could slow/ensnare multiple targets around the targeted enemy--perhaps having a slightly stronger slow (or when empowered, a longer snare or even a stun) against targets indirectly hit by the bola.

I don't know, it seems like a thematic change (the bola swings around the target to knock down other foes) that might work to increase Rengar's skillcap (and add some amount of counterplay--now that I think about it, this change almost acts like a reverse Kha'Zix Q-passive--avoid standing near creeps.) Burden of knowledge IS a concern here, but it feels kind of fitting for a hunter to use his environment (things like creeps) to trap his quarry.

Of course, actual Rengar players should give opinions on this so Scarizard and Wav3 know whether this is actually a good idea or "another non-Rengar-player trying to murder glorious knifecat with good intentions."