PSA: Summer is upon us. Check your temps

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

07-15-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Greetings Summoners,

I just wanted to remind everyone that during the summer months the ambient temperature in your room is going to go up! What does this mean? It means that your computer will probably run hotter than normal and you may notice the following symptoms pop up.

• Lower FPS
  • Crashes
  • Machine unexpectedly restarting

If you experience any of these problems please carefully check the heat of your machine. Use the back of your hand to feel the bottom of your macbook or the top of your keyboard.

One of the simplest ways to eliminate heat issues is to buy a laptop stand. Additionally better airflow around your mac can lower the temperature even further. More expensive options(maybe $20) include buying a cooling rack for laptop. Generally these come with little fans in.

Cheers,

Inspired by this thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3659143

KevinDelMarr

07-15-2013

Quick question, does blowing an external fan onto the source of emanating heat undrneath your laptop do any damage? Because that's what I do, so far it's been sucessful in lowering the heat but I want to make sure it's safe, mainly if certain pieces inside my laptop are still hot

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2013

Cute.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

07-16-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
Quick question, does blowing an external fan onto the source of emanating heat undrneath your laptop do any damage? Because that's what I do, so far it's been sucessful in lowering the heat but I want to make sure it's safe, mainly if certain pieces inside my laptop are still hot

Actually this is probably a good thing for your machine. If it's getting that hot cooling it down is good.

Nexus Crawler

07-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
Actually this is probably a good thing for your machine. If it's getting that hot cooling it down is good.
Been running an external fan in addition to my cooling pad for years to good effect. One thing to note is you'll want to clean under the laptop, etc to help keep the additional dust that's bound to collect from building up in your internal fans.

aceofsween

07-16-2013

You could just buy a PC and not have to worry about it over heating... Silly Mac useres...

BuddyBoombox

07-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
Second law of Thermodynamics is at work in your favor in that situation Kevin. referring to your computer as a thermal system, if one part gets colder, the rest will seek an equalibrium with it. The greater the difference, the faster the rate of heat transfer will be.

The only possible drawback would be if the bottom becomes so cool it shrinks and causes warping... however that temperature would be fairly extreme, something like sitting on dry ice, nothing a simple fan could achieve.

actually I take that back, you may build up dust at a slightly faster pace as well... science has so many variables outside the lab...

Honggg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2013

Why is there an assumption that people only play games on laptops? I'm surprised that the OP didn't suggest anything to help out desktop users. And if you're gaming on a macbook, you're doing it wrong.

For desktop users: I recommend downloading CPUID to monitor the temp of your computer components, especially the CPU and Graphics Card. Your CPU, ideally, shouldn't go above 65-70C and your GPU, ideally, shouldn't go over 70-75C