Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AODRG's 9 Tips and Tricks for Role Players

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AODRG

07-15-2013

Hello there. I am AODRG, seasoned role player around these parts. It has come to my attention several new and returning role players are popping up, which is always great. The more activity here, the less likely the reds will ignore us.

With that in mind, I can't help but notice some of the...less than adequate posts for some champions and characters, both from veterans and regulars. Now, I'm not here to criticize your way of writing or tell you how to do something, but I am here to give general (and specific) rules and tips you should follow around here.

Note - I can not stress this enough, I do NOT want any one to try to change their style of writing or suggest someone is better than someone else. These are more or less tips and suggestions to improve your role playing experience here.

• 1 - Try to have detail.

This incredibly important around here. Try to put in as much detail as needed for your post. Sure 2 sentence replies are easier to read and write, but people come here for the story and interaction. Now I'm not saying write a 3 paragraph story for every little thing that goes on, but try to broaden the environment a bit. Obvious things like snow on the ground in Freljord or grass in a park in Ionia isn't needed, but saying things like it was snowing or a few woodland creatures were nearby would be nice. A good rule of thumb is if someone else can see what you see, then you're set.

• 2 - Make sure your Original Post (OP) is detailed enough so people know where the RP is, and how to jump in if they can.

People need to be able to keep the story realistic enough. If you're having a party in Bandle City, it wouldn't make much sense to have Prince Jarvan show up randomly. And a restaurant in Demacia is going to vastly differ from a bar in Zaun.

Also for those champions who set up their own threads, try improving your original posts. Look back and see if you can't touch it up a bit.

Your OP should have at least three things somewhere among it:
  1. Why you are opening your home/room for questions ((Ask Threads only))
  2. Where is the RP located right now.
  3. And enough of a detail to show you truly know your champion/character/place.

First one is easy. It is generally assumed throughout the community that the League has set up an ask program for champions to get in touch with their fans. But you can come up with whatever excuse you want.

The second is equally as easy. For champions, your home is likely in your city-state. Ashe would be in Freljord, Tristana would be in Bandle City, Singed would be in Zaun, Karma would be in Ionia, Fiddlesticks would in the Institute, and so on. But if you don't want that, there's also a generally accepted rule that every champion has a room set up in the Institute of War. Specifying where you are also limits and opens up RP opportunities, so be prepared for that.

For RP's, where you are set up is half the RP. Be sure to clearly detail where it is in Valoran, why such an RP is taking place, and who can join in.

The third is simple if you read the lore. For example, Akali would mention something about the Kinkou and Shen/Kennen, Sona would mention her love for music, Orianna would have something about her father and the real Orianna. Just think of something that portays to the champion's lore

For RP's describe the scenery. Not hard, right?

• 3 - Read the lore

This should be self explanatory, but everyone should read up on most of the lore. Riot set up this incredible world for us to play in, but you have to know what world your in first before you can play. It should be easy to keep up with, given how it's not as frequently updated as it used to be.

Also be aware with how RP-ers have gone with the lore. Some (like the current Karthus for example) decide to RP on a previous lore rather than the current. Some (like the current Ezreal) decide to RP as a specific skin or outfit rather than the basic champion. Others (like the current Lulu) decide to take the lore further, explaining parts of the story Riot never touched on. When in doubt simply ask in OOC.

• 4 - Try to broaden your horizon

Waiting around for people to visit you or sticking to one RP can get boring real quickly, especially given how slow this forum is compared to other areas. Don't be afraid to visit multiple people or even the same person multiple times (so long as they don't get annoyed by it). Plus, people love to see responses on their thread, especially champions.

• 5 - Slow down a bit

People have real lives, and live in different time zones. Not everyone can reply at the same time. If you and a buddy want to advance your part of the story alone, that's fine, but if you're in a major area where you need interaction with everyone else, try not to carry on without them.

• 6 - Try to be active

Now I know for a fact it is impossible to be on the forums 24/7. As stated above people have real lives. However, do try to stop by in your free time. Posting at least once every 1-4 days keeps this place and your character alive and moving. Plus it's easy to keep up with what's going on around here. Now the more times you reply, the further on your story goes, so if you want to keep going faster, stay on longer and more often.

Disclaimer - The Roleplaying Forums are not responsible for you missing anything in your real life because you decided to stay longer and more often. Real life still occurs while you are here, and it is your responsibility to keep up with it. If it becomes to much for you to balance, then take a break or simply leave. No one is forcing you to stay here after all.

• 7 - Re-read over your thread

Go back every now and then and re-read over old posts. It'll help you stay true to the character you originally had, help you remember old details, and make it easier to understand when something from page 2 is brought up again on page 22.

Additionally, those who want to join in on new adventures, make sure you skim over most of the RP before joining in. It'll make it easier on you and your fellow RP-ers if you know the story.

• 8 - Stay in character.

Easier said than done. We all want to add a part of ourselves in our writing, but just remember who you're writing for. Cho'Gath wouldn't suddenly appear in a field of flowers just cause you are an avid gardener. A good rule of thumb is if you can't picture your character realistically saying/doing what you are typing, then it's likely not in their character. Also a quick explanation of why they are doing what they are doing would be great, and ties over with tip 1.

• 9 - State who you are

This is obvious, but be sure to say who your character is somewhere. For OC's, we have this wonderful site (http://summoners.shurelia.com/) where you can write out the detailed life of your character for everyone to read whenever. But even then, introducing yourself in character is always easier to work with for everyone. It makes no sense for a champion to automatically know a specific summoner and everything about them just because you posted their profile.

For champions, the smurf name you set up for your ask thread should be enough. Shouldn't have to worry too much there (if your smurf name is clear enough that is.)

Edit 4-8-14 - Now it's stickied! Yay! To celebrate...more tips!
  • 10 - Try to stay consistent to the lore

There are a lot of ways to grow one's character/champion here, but remember to stick to the lore that we know. It's nice to add more places and backgrounds, and there are quite a few really good writers who have come up with their own entire story, but be sure it fits well in the League universe.

Also, champions in particular, stay true to the character Riot created. The champion is NOT yours to grow completely. Don't steer them off a path they wouldn't take without considerable reasonable explanation that makes sense to the character. Ashe wouldn't go try to learn the secrets of Taric's gems just because you want to make her a gem queen rather than an ice queen, but it is okay to have Sona making a charity concert to sponsor orphaned children in Ionia since that is something that would be something close to her.
  • 11 - Limit your power.

Limit your abilities. Everyone wants to be top dog here, but unfortunately we can't. There's always someone stronger, and it's not you. Original characters should very rarely ever be stronger than champions, and NEVER should anyone be stronger than an important high summoner. If you're unsure how to strong you can be, just remember that champions will almost always be stronger than you, and summoners will almost always be stronger than them.
  • 12 - No obvious romancing

We all love our love stories. They make us aww and ooh and go "oh so cute." But there's a difference between a chance meeting turning into a loving first date, and forcing your dream ships. It's more than acceptable to visit a champion with the goal of whoo-ing him/her with a romantic night out, but just don't walk up to them, blurt out "I love you. Go out with me." or "Hey! You should totally go out with <so and so>." and get mad when they kick you out. Keep things romantic and realistic, not fantastic and fictional.
  • 13 - Keep OOC to a minimum.

Not a prominent issue usually, but this does come up quite a bit. Just try to stay in character as much as possible. If you need to speak with someone extensively out of character, message them in the client, in skype, or in the ooc thread if it is an RP.

EDIT - 5-7-14
Silverling came up with a brilliant method for teaching new RP-ers how to join role plays. If you are unsure as to what you can and can't join, check it out here. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4503990)

EDIT - 6-17-14

Since everyone seems to be scattered about gold value around here, I thought it would be nice to get an actual system of exchange around here. So here is a list of gold values based on USD currency. Not a common user of USD? No problem, use this (https://www.google.com/search?q=currency+converter&oq=currency+converter&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.55520j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8) to exchange to your country's money.

NOTE - This is NOT an official standard, nor does this have to be followed to the letter. You are free to come up with your own pricing system if you wish, but these will still be here to be used as a guideline. However, this is the GENERAL accepted values of Gold for (most) places like restaurants and stores, and should at least be used as a guideline.

$0.17 - 1 Gold
$1 - 6 Gold
$5 - 30 gold
$10 - 60 Gold
$25 - 150 Gold
$50 - 300 Gold
$75 - 450 Gold
$100 - 600 Gold
$117 - 1000 Gold
$250 - 1500 Gold
$500 - 3000 Gold
$750 - 4500 Gold
$1000 - 6000 Gold
$166,667 - 1,000,000 Gold
$1,000,000 - 6,000,000 Gold

AskKarthus

07-15-2013

8 is by far the most important. There are champions who can mostly ignore the rest, but everyone must stay in character.

Tybresa

07-15-2013

My name is Andra, mun of Tybresa.

And I approve of this thread.

TheShadowOfChaos

07-15-2013

Even the parents approve of this. Good job

Hugs for everyone! (づ。◕‿‿◕&#65377

Necromonger

07-15-2013

yeah the old tips have vanished.

bump.

AskKarthus

07-15-2013

Hopefully Runaan stickies this. It would be helpful for the newbies.

Ask the Tempest

07-15-2013

10: Don't be me.

Ask King Trynda

07-15-2013

I can't emphasize the detail part...I'm still getting used to LoL RP so I'm not quite good yet but the detail is always nice to see. Shows you actually kind of care about the fun and creativeness of roleplaying.

Ask the String

07-15-2013

bump for more people to read!

Dear Urgot

07-15-2013

10: Visit Urgot's thread.

Please.

I'm lonely.

*Cries*