Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

L2 tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Retarded Clown

11-27-2010

Hey solo queuers.flash message : Every team needs a tank.

Tanking is relatively easy, you gotta go in and press ur buttons and initiate and let the carries do the rest. However, a great tank, is useless unless his carries are doing something.....which brings me to the next part:

if you have NOT carried (15+ kills or 2.0 kda AT LEAST average) with your carry at least every other game. Means time to start tanking. You simply cannot carry yet or are not ready, you can perfect those skills in normal games or practice, but in ranked, you need to bring your best bet, and if there's someone who plays a pro carry but he has to tank cuz you autolocked tristana but did nothing all game...its a won game that you lost because you don't want to do whats best for the team.

Some basic rules to being at least eligible to even pick a carry under ANY circumstances...even if the team needs one badly you do NOT pick a carry unless you can:

1) last hit well in lane and HARASS without being hit too much yourself
2) SUPPORT your TANK. If you run away when he initiates or are always scared to die, it means you're not confident enough to carry yet
3) Be AGGRESSIVE. Yes...this does NOT mean initiate..it means you are greedy for kills and will go for them when it makes sense, if your tank is there you support him and get kills with him not leave him high and dry. Being capable of striking the balance between offence and defense makes a good carry...if you are either FEEDING by being OVER aggressive...or just standing back and KSING then not HELPING at all...then you are not carry material.

...basically, if you choose a squishy thats intention is to carry, you need to try and carry. Focus on performing your role. If you need to farm up, then do so and let the team know, then do NOT change that unless team is calling for serious help. If you're a pusher carry, plz push do NOT go around trying to ini fights. You do NOT facechek bushes or wander alone overextended when theres 5 mia. Not even the tank should wander alone.

If you have ANY DOUBT...just back off and ask ur tank to check stuff out for you.

If you CANNOT do these things, do the real carries a favor and choose a tank so that they can win you the game. Most carries just need one decent initiate and then take care of the rest.

If you have less than 1.0 kda average or any game with less than 1.0 kda in more than 20% of ur last 10 matches with taht hero...do NOT play that carry. Do NOT CARRY at all in fact, cuz more often than not, its not the champion, but you're technical faults.

Those faults can be overlooked while being a tank since you get chance as a tank, as a carry they cannot. A good way to make yourself a carry is to learn a tank then as you eradicate mistakes with tank, you become a better carry.

If you do NOT have a single match with 2.5 kda in the last 10 or so matches, you absolutely will NOT carry either.

Note that kda counts assists too and that turrets count if ur a pusher hero like yi , sivir or tf.

If you got at least 3 turrets than carry on if not reevaluate whether ur playing the right champ.

Tl;DR good for u don't read it not my problem...idc if I gotta tank every game when I could be carrying your elo suffers just as much as mine except idgaf abt elo anymore, just putting this down to help the community.

Neokenfu

11-27-2010

Greetings,

I like your post quite as bit but I'd like to add this: Don't tank if you're a f*cking p*ssy!!!

The most infuriating thing as a melee carry is waiting for a tank trapped in their own little world. If you are a tank then please for the love of god initiate!!! Watching your mastabatory strut for 5 mins while you overlook chance after chance to open makes me want to strangle your ass through the internet. Guess what, after the 5th minute I'm going with or without you. Yes, this will likely get me killed but as I'm playing Xin it'll often win the team fight.

I guess I just don't understand. You have the most hp/ar/mr and you stand at the edge of the pool like a toddler, dip one toe in, then scurry for the exit after you realize how cold it is.

On a related note, if you play this way F*CK YOU!!!

Alex Pan

11-27-2010

Enough posts about how to tank on these forums.

Edit: And with less Capslock

CheerUpEmoKids

Recruiter

11-27-2010

Quote:
Neokenfu:
Greetings,

I like your post quite as bit but I'd like to add this: Don't tank if you're a f*cking p*ssy!!!

The most infuriating thing as a melee carry is waiting for a tank trapped in their own little world. If you are a tank then please for the love of god initiate!!! Watching your mastabatory strut for 5 mins while you overlook chance after chance to open makes me want to strangle your ass through the internet. Guess what, after the 5th minute I'm going with or without you. Yes, this will likely get me killed but as I'm playing Xin it'll often win the team fight.

I guess I just don't understand. You have the most hp/ar/mr and you stand at the edge of the pool like a toddler, dip one toe in, then scurry for the exit after you realize how cold it is.

On a related note, if you play this way F*CK YOU!!!

Starting with Greetings isen't needed when you are going to make an immature reply. Most time players will blame the tanks for any losses. Sounds like you should become one too. Then your team will have the perfect tank right? More than just your toe going in? Hmm, less whining please.

Attico

11-27-2010

Not really a post on tanking, more of a post on carries.
Of course, both problems exist. When I tank, I'm good. I start the rumbles, I die for my carries, and I enjoy it . But nothing is worse that ending a game 4/6/4 and having the most kills and assists! The poster is absolutely right, carries must learn to kill something, anything, to make it all worth it. There are other options to tanking if you find you are unable to kill things:
1) Play support/dps - this lets you pew pew, and still throw a stun/shield/heal/useful passive
2) Play tough dps that can survive a fight - now you can hit things and not feed, but still not as useful to the team. Consider building aura items for everyone's benefit
If you suck as squishy dps, find a sweet new role, and don't blame a good tank for "feeding" if you have less kills than he has deaths.

GhostDieM

11-27-2010

You make it seem like tanking is easy, it's not. It's true the carry has to do the bigger damage portion and crack enemy skulls but being a good tank requires you to know when to initiate, how to do it properly and making sure your carry/carries and you come out alive. Tanking might seem easy to an awesome carry player like you (/sarcasm) but the difference between a good tank and someone that just picks a tank because he's sorta forced too is the difference between a won game or a lost game. Also K/D/A alone doesn't win matches (not even for a carry, though it is important to get farmed up and fed), so the line "if you have NOT carried (15+ kills or 2.0 kda AT LEAST average) with your carry at least every other game. Means time to start tanking." is totally ridiculous imo. All in all I'd think long and hard about what you're saying here if I were you.

Aemon Darkstar

11-27-2010

Please refrain from making posts that'll lead to solo queue becoming even more flooded with "fail" tankers, tyvm.

Twilexia

11-27-2010

In my opinion tanking is the craziest strategic part of this game. Carries? They wait until everyone's started fighting, before they go in and roflstomp. Mages? They wait for the intiate, then pop out and unload all their spells in one go. Fighters? They wait for the initiate, then they jump for the enemy carry.

All of that begins with the Tank. And the most important part about the tank is two things: positioning and timing. You must understand the composition of the other team, composition of your team, see what the terrain is, see who is near by, and consider how to initiate. Once the initiation begins your job is done, but before that, an almost infinite amount of constantly changing factors will change the game for you.

So if you're not good with positioning or timing, don't play a tank.