"OMG Heimer is so OP"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Koozer

11-26-2010

This was what one Shen on the other team kept proclaiming throughout an entire match yesterday. I found it quite amusing.

Now I have your attention dear reader, I have some Heimerdinger related questions:

• Does the Abyssal Sceptre have enough range on it to be useful on him? I often just get a cheap Haunting Guise for the HP and penetration and Sorcerer's Boots (if I don't need Treads that is).
  • Is an Aegis of the Legion worth it for the +8 damage for your turrets and the extra survivability for them, nevermind the rest of your team?

I'm trying to get a tankydinger build, so my items look roughly like this:
  1. Doran's Ring
  2. Catalyst of the Whatsits
  3. Boots
  4. Rod of Ages
  5. Sorcerer's/Mercury's
  6. Haunting Guise/Void Staff (god forbid some of them build MR)
  7. Zhonya's Ring
  8. Banshee's Veil/Rylai's Crystal Sceptre
I'll grab the Golem as often as I can after my first trip back too.

Any suggestions?

PS. Turret AI is an unfathomable mystery to me.

Dr W

11-26-2010

Tankydinger. May God have mercy on your soul and you never Q up with me.

Koozer

11-26-2010

Well that's helpful. If you do realise that by Tankydinger I don't mean pure damage soaking items, more something like a tanky Morgana build, what's so terrible about it?

k3nkill

11-26-2010

I'm a heimer fanatic. And all i can say is, heimer tank build fails. I find that his movement speed is basically the thing that gets heimer killed in sooo many team battles. So if your team is lacking slows/dissables, get boots of swiftness and ghost/flash. The only time i go tank with heimer is in late game after I rape the shet out of everybody. Usually, warmog's health bonuses will compensate for his horrible armor and magic resist. This is only a final resort sort of thing, when the enemy starts focusing you or if you want to never go back to base unless you die.

k3nkill

11-26-2010

To make your turrets really effective, I find it helpful to use your grenades on the creeps (only if you can one shot them). This pays off since you can follow up with your ult to slow enemy champions. Other than that, just put turrets in the middle of the battle then hide!

DoomManufact

11-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozer View Post
PS. Turret AI is an unfathomable mystery to me.
ya it's supposed to work like minion aggro but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to attack the champ if the champ attacks it, though that doesn't seem to happen all the time :/

Relatyve Mynd

11-26-2010

call me a noob, but I like Aegis on Heimer. The +8 to turret damage is the equivalent to 40 AP because of turrets' terrible ratio, and the Aegis is already a freakin bargain on most anybody, as some other threads around here have demonstrated. Having your turrets be a little tougher prolly helps, although carries will still just tear them down, of course. And since Heimer is (I feel) a support character, getting an aurabuff item isn't like its really out of your role. That extra little bit of survivability might make all the difference in landing a point-blank grenade, letting you wait till the melee has committed to being next to you.

And how can one item make you that fail, anyhow? But more tank items than that is kinda pointless, I agree. I don't even see the point of a Veil. And RoA's health bonuses just aren't worth it for Heimer. Save it for Swain, Singed or Vlad or somebody. If you're that worried about getting ganked, maybe you're overextending or going off to push towers by yourself?

About you Abyssal question, I'd say it's a tough call. You get less effectiveness from Abyssal than most, because there are times when you're not even near your turrets, and I think grenades have a longer range than the aura, although rockets are probably just inside it. Also, it forces you to be near the middle of the battle to get the most effectiveness, when you could be in the back or even running around behind everyone to plant turrets on the enemy's escape route. Guise is really not a bad deal, either.

My typical (yes I am a noob, so take it with a grain of salt) build is meki-->codex, sorcs, aegis, guise and then zhonya's, void and DFG in whichever order is best. Your terrible AP ratios on turrets mean that MPEN is your friend. DFG is always a good choice when you've got good MPEN, and is a better way to build from meki than an AAS, since the AAS requires ability spamming, something Heimer can't or shouldn't do. The CDR on a DFG is probably overkill, although if someone needs blue buff even more than you or it gets taken away, then the DFG+masteries allows you to hit max CDR by like lvl 11.

With MPEN marks and quints, by the time you've got about 5,400 gold, you'll be blowing thru 54 MR (+15% from mastery), which means your turrets are gonna do max damage throughout the middle game and force everyone to build MR...then you get a Void and they cry.

As for Rylai's, a lot of people swear by it, even on Heimer, but I really don't see the point. It's just a 15% slow on 2 of your abilities....find me another AP champ that gains even less benefit from this item?