Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Support Meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chuck Norris Bot

07-05-2013

Hey guys, first time posting on the forums.

I am currently looking for ways to become a better support as it is my least favorite position. I just played a game where I lost to Annie support and I'm looking for ways to improve. Who are the best supports for solo q at the moment? What advice can you guys give me to help me become better? I'm in gold 5 but don't belong in it because I suck right now so the advice can help.

Thanks

Christianx93

Recruiter

07-05-2013

Janna is always a strong pick if you can take time to practice with her. Personally, I like Lux or Karma because you can build them AP later into the game and help your team out with the damages.

Sona Buvelle

07-06-2013

Personally i am more of a fan to true supports.

Lulu has a splendid Kit to work with.
She has a shield, Temporary CC for keeping agitators at bay.
Her Q if landed is a short turn exhaust.
and her Ult is a Aoe knock up and major life savor.

Sona also is great, also my favorite if you cant tell.
You have a Heal, which doubles as a defensive aura.
You have a Buff to AD and AP, that doubles as a really good poke with Power chord passive.
a speed boost to help chase down or alternatively escape. also great for warding.
And an ultimate that pretty much will CC an entire team fight.

blusprite

07-06-2013

one of your main duties is to ward. you have to make sure the tri-bush is ALWAYS warded while in lane. The river should be warded always, but it is absolutely necessary when you're in the middle of the lane or pushing the lane. Warding the sidebrush is sometimes needful to reveal champs like blitz who like to strike from there. Also sometimes needed to make sure the jungler isn't sneaking in there from behind. Learn to ward and not die are your primary objectives as a new support. Buying a lot of wards will cost you a lot of money, but that is your job so the others only have to buy a few wards throughout the game. get Items like philosopher's stone and Kage's lucky pick and sightstone to help with the gold drain. Explain to your adc that you are new and inexperienced at start of match and ask them toplay passive until team fights. Your role is to always protect the adc. do whatever you have to to keep them safe.

Blitztrooper

07-06-2013

Sona is a solid and easy to pick up support, with built-in auras and a massive AoE stun as an ult.

Lulu has something for everyone, and her Q can snipe multiple enemies from weird angles (especially in conjunction with her E).

Nami is another good support and can poke while healing simultaneously. Her bubble stun can win the lane.

Janna is another top support, but she mainly hangs back and throws tornadoes everywhere. Her ult pushes all enemies away while healing, so it can be used to slam them into walls, push them away from safety, or knock them away from your team.

Thresh is the aggressive one and perhaps the best of the aggressive supports. His lantern lets your ADC escape from the toughest situations, while he can pull, trap, slow, and knock-up to give his ADC the kill.

I personally play Blitzcrank because you get to YOOOOOOOOINK people through walls.

The key to support is warding. Supports don't take any CS, so they won't be getting much gold. Get a GP10 item like Philosopher's Stone ASAP, and focus on buying wards. Sightstone--->Ruby Sightstone is key. And even with those items, keep on buying wards. And don't always buy normal wards. If you see the enemy plant wards of their own, get a Vision Ward or two and deny them their vision. If you can, get a big item, but you usually won't (or shouldn't) have more than two. Again, focus on warding, helping your allies whenever you can, and also, if there's a Teemo on their team...Oracle's Elixir to shut down his mushrooms.

Thaiboxer87

07-06-2013

I dont recommend playing BC simply because u will never get to play him in ranked or draft, ever.

Thaoin

07-06-2013

If you're blue side make sure Tri bush and Dragon is warded. When ever returning to lane with you ADC and the lane is pushed toward the enemy side take mini golems for the XP and gold. If you're purple side ward the same places as blue and enjoy not getting mini golems. For supports usually the "Trifecta Supports" work well (Sona, Janna, Lulu) All of them have poke, all of them have slows, movement speed increases, heals, damage increases, reduce incoming damage, etc. They're also the safest picks since they all work with a large pool of ADC's, and able to out poke all the other supports, they're also not kill dependent like Leona, they can also do a fair bit of burst damage when needed, and best of all they all trade fairly even against each other.