Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Soraka: Do I Make You Horny Baby?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

M4nTiCoR3

11-26-2010

So after picking up sona a few weeks ago, i found i really liked playing support class champions. This week is free Soraka week. Frankly I would never have touched the fugley chick with a ten foot horn, but on whim I gave her a go. Now I am hooked, and need some advice on the better starting items for her. I have focused mainly on AP builds so far, ignoring the aura stacking items her suggested list provides.

A couple things, I am running staight AP Rune page for a grand totl of ~80 with masteries at level 18. I have gone 15-5 in the past few days with abso-feaking-loutly no idea what i am doing...and I have gotten nothing but hate when i pick in que...only to have my team give me a high-hoof, and countless friend invites after going 2-3-27 and saving my teams ass time and time again with 1k+ Ults and 500+ Heals in fights.

So basicly I dont care if you think Soraka is an inferior champ, I enjoy playing with her, and am doing very well so far. What I really want is others take on what items maximiae her early...middle...and late game efforts. I already have my own tentitive list, but would like to hear from any other seasoned horn heads out there...

Thanks in advance.

PS: The title...so would have been the best "/joke" for her...hooves down!

Dregen

11-26-2010

I still think Soraka can be pretty powerful, but honestly whenever I play her the game boils down to kiting and slow pushing, and the games almost ALWAYS last at least 45 minutes. Soraka just contributes too little offensively and cannot prevenmt an enemy's escape so it leads to enemies getting away with a sliver of hp or whatever, thus leading to turret standoffs and longer games, etc.

Rosz

11-26-2010

I tend to use soraka if my team already has 1/2 tank and 2 dps.

I almost always find she works pretty well with CDR and some tanky options (at least for me works better than ap build). I buy frozen heart, Shurelya's Reverie/innervating locket and Randuin's omen/Nashors tooth depending on my team. I do fairly good so far in normal games

DoomManufact

Recruiter

11-26-2010

just don't play soraka -.-
as dregen said, she just slows games down and generally makes the game more boring/frustrating

Kvoth3

11-26-2010

Take an early kage's pick if you're having gold troubles. Don't be afraid to last-hit minions with your infuse (E?), since it's free.
A locket isn't bad, and a rylai's or soul shroud isn't bad either.

FlowyS

11-26-2010

Quote:
DoomManufact:
just don't play soraka -.-
as dregen said, she just slows games down and generally makes the game more boring/frustrating

You should totally play a Revive + Fortify Team.

On topic - As a tip, you can use your Ult to top up your allies hp if you don't expect a teamfight during that cooldown. It also helps to click the portrait to for Astral Blessing instead of the hero on the map. Many times I mistakely healed a minion instead of a champion.

Pissfer

Recruiter

11-26-2010

On the note of the portraits: you can also use F1 - F5 to target healing spells, where F1 is yourself and the numbers then increase on the way down the portraits on the left side

And why do people hate long games? I personally love the games where there are one or two turrets down at 30 minutes instead of a whole lane being pushed already. Generally those are the good games that people want to be in

Cenerae

11-26-2010

Soraka's primarily good in pushing or turtling focused strats. Anything else, and another support can do it better.

She lacks the offensive utility to shine in the current trend of tanky dps meets aoe ultimates.

M4nTiCoR3

11-26-2010

Everyone preaching soraka hate and sona love seems to forget that sona got a pretty heft nerf recently. It was well deserved, but the days of sona buying mp5 runes and chalice, and then spaming all her spells to infiinty are over.

Soraka is best utilized on a team with a hard carry or two that can put out more than enough dps for your team. If you baby sit this player with your Ult and Heals he will be able to survive long enough to end most fights with a bit of team corrdination. Since in most normal solo que games there are plenty of Hard carries choosen, I find I can do really well by supporting them.

Soraka also excells a as a late game pusher ocer sona and other supports. With my AP and my AoE nuke, i can clear a minion wave in 4 sec. If we just won a team skirmish late, and the enemy is down 2-3 heros, i will teleport to another lane and push waves while my team finishes off an inhibitor. This allows us to score two towers for the price of one, and if someone gets in trouble...my global ult can still contribute while im away.

It also seems that most of the advice i am getting is advocating for a build more akin to sona. Defensive and aura items shine on sona because she has to be in the thick of the fight for her aura skills to make a difference. It is clear to me that soraka would be an inferior choice if played that way, and thats why i dont do it. She is built for something far different IMO, and my build while i would assume is hardly unique, has little in common with sona. Despite this it is having about the same amount of success in games...both in wins, and in K : D : A ratios.

Given another week or so, i may just post my build and strategy here for ****z and giggles, but i am far from a finalized build order, and need to play around with it more. Keep the on topic suggestions coming....perticularly what items you think really shine on her, and thanks again in advance.

Cenerae

11-26-2010

Quote:
gap81:
Everyone preaching soraka hate and sona love seems to forget that sona got a pretty heft nerf recently. It was well deserved, but the days of sona buying mp5 runes and chalice, and then spaming all her spells to infiinty are over.

Soraka is best utilized on a team with a hard carry or two that can put out more than enough dps for your team. If you baby sit this player with your Ult and Heals he will be able to survive long enough to end most fights with a bit of team corrdination. Since in most normal solo que games there are plenty of Hard carries choosen, I find I can do really well by supporting them.

Soraka also excells a as a late game pusher ocer sona and other supports. With my AP and my AoE nuke, i can clear a minion wave in 4 sec. If we just won a team skirmish late, and the enemy is down 2-3 heros, i will teleport to another lane and push waves while my team finishes off an inhibitor. This allows us to score two towers for the price of one, and if someone gets in trouble...my global ult can still contribute while im away.

It also seems that most of the advice i am getting is advocating for a build more akin to sona. Defensive and aura items shine on sona because she has to be in the thick of the fight for her aura skills to make a difference. It is clear to me that soraka would be an inferior choice if played that way, and thats why i dont do it. She is built for something far different IMO, and my build while i would assume is hardly unique, has little in common with sona. Despite this it is having about the same amount of success in games...both in wins, and in K : D : A ratios.

Given another week or so, i may just post my build and strategy here for ****z and giggles, but i am far from a finalized build order, and need to play around with it more. Keep the on topic suggestions coming....perticularly what items you think really shine on her, and thanks again in advance.

Actually, the real issue with Soraka right now is that healing is not game changing anymore. At least, most of the time. While her heals are strong, they usually don't impact a teamfight enough to matter - unless you go for raw AP - and an AP stacking Soraka is hyper squishy and will explode when targeted. Outside of that she has a single target silence (which is okay but nothing special) and a short range aoe nuke with a largely irrelevant debuff (due to the fact that by the time you're starting to spam it your team's blown most of their nukes anyway).

Supports are usually built with the team in mind. Since having auras is > not having auras, it makes sense to get them to benefit the team. Since a supporter's job is to support by harrassing, and not to outfarm the team mate they're babysitting in the lane, they tend to not get a huge amount of income. Since you're not getting much gold, you won't be able to get much AP, thus won't make much difference. However, if you grab an aura item or two, you become more useful. Aura items typically include health, so you're also boosting your survivability.

Really, the only AP item you should ever plan to get in a typical game would be a Mejai's. *Maybe* a Zhonya's if the game goes to the super-late phase. Beyond that, you're going to be more credit to your team as an aura carrier than as someone with an extra 1-200 AP. Healing another couple hundred with your ult probably won't decide the game, especially when ignites or natural healing debuffs are brought into play. But the impact of auras, while subtle, is very large, and allows you to stay in the field longer to do your job.

It doesn't help having super awesome heals if you get focused first in a teamfight because of it, and thus die in the duration of a single stun, preventing you from doing anything at all.