Gangplank Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peebs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-14-2009

Discuss what runes you use for pirate and why. I was thinking of a crit chance, crit dmg, hp, or magic pen page. I heard hp runes are going to be nerfed and I dont know how magic pen works and if it is worth it. Any suggestions?

Xetal

12-14-2009

Lots and lots of crit damage.

Tubesteak

12-15-2009

I have my red runes setup for crit chance.
All my blues are cooldown reduction.
My yellows are a mix of health regen per 5 secs and cooldown reduction.
I have one quintessence of crit chance and one of cooldown reduction (though I am thinking of making both cooldown reduction).

I have about 9% cooldown. 10% crit chance and +2 health regen per 5 secs.

Peebs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-15-2009

Xetal:
What build do you use if you go pure crit dmg? I feel that you have to stack crit chance items which makes you pretty fragile. I don't like going 2 avarice blades like most people do.

Tubesteak:
Why the cooldown reduction? Does 9% really make a difference? I usually grab an item with 10% cooldown already and I think +2 hp regen per 5secs is neglible. I just want to know your reasonings for the runes. Wouldnt it be more beneficial to just stack the crit chance and get like 20%

Holypope

12-15-2009

I've got 15% cooldown reduction (quints and blues), yellows mana regen, and reds crit chance. The cooldown reduction makes a bog difference... all those extra shots and ultimates really add up. with 15%+masteries and items, it's easy to max out the CD to 40% that's almost twice as many abilities... very, very worth it.

Holypope

12-15-2009

also, PLEASE everyone! do a little math. crit damage is significantly inferior to crit chance but for some reason, people keep going for the more expensive crit damage runes.

Morzas

12-15-2009

The best Gangplank player I know (Dayozee) swears by Crit Chance runes, because he says you're supposed to build your rune page with ending the game quickly in mind. The game usually ends when he gets his Infinity Edge (and his only other two items are a Chalice of Harmony and Mercury's Treads).

Peebs

Recruiter

12-15-2009

I agree that crit dmg is inferior since it does nothing until lategame but I do not really agree on the yellow runes being used for mana regen...with 1 mana item i seem to never really have mana problems and yellow runes have .42% crit chance so why not get that instead? As for cooldown reduction I only go for one item with 10% cooldown and my ult is about 100sec cooldown which seems to be up everytime I need it. Unless you are farming with it I dont see why you would need it to be that much lower. Im currently only lvl20 but I have started stacking crit chance runes. My theory is if I start off at level 1 with about a 25% crit chance and get lucky with a few parrley crits that is more beneficial than any other rune I could think of. I may eventually get a hp rune page because pirate is kind of squishy. Although I recently switched to ghost instead of flash and I seem to escape pretty well with scurvy. Keep the discussions going.

Tubesteak

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebs View Post
Tubesteak:
Why the cooldown reduction? Does 9% really make a difference? I usually grab an item with 10% cooldown already and I think +2 hp regen per 5secs is neglible. I just want to know your reasonings for the runes. Wouldnt it be more beneficial to just stack the crit chance and get like 20%
I've altered my build somewhat and I usually end up getting the Haunting Guise for the magic penetration and cooldown. With that item, I can knock almost 2 seconds off of each Parley attempt. In a close team battle, that can make a huge difference. It might be the difference between firing Parley that extra time in a fight.

Now that I rush to Sheen, I find crit chance isn't as important early on anymore.
I usually start with the rejuv bead and talisman (for the Guise) plus a heal pot to start.
Then save up 1260gp for the Sheen. Then its game on. Once I get the Guise, I'm Parley-ing like a machine gun (at least it feels like it). Once I get up to I.E., I start blowing large holes into people every 6.5 seconds.

Xetal

12-15-2009

Quote:
What build do you use if you go pure crit dmg?
2-3x Avarice blades early. You'll sell them off at the very end as you need slots, but I highly suggest some magic pen (9/x/x mastery, sorcerer's and/or haunting guise). After those first few basics you'll want an infinity edge and a sheen.

Where you go from there depends on the game... but your Parlay should be doing a really disgustingly huge amount of damage.