Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Lux trouble :<

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenotime Gaze

11-25-2010

Hello all. im currently in a conundrum when it comes to lux. I really enjoy playing her but i never seem to be able to do well with her. i've seen people build her as a sumpport mage and do very well with her. however, whenever i try to play her it never goes well. I generally keep my distance, try to shield allies if i can, and do damage without getting myself in harms way, since she has such long ranged abilities. i generally go AP with lots of cooldown (i dont have all my CD runes yet) and some speedy boots (or anti cc if there's a lot of that).

What im asking is, is there something im missing that i need to improve on with Lux? Outside of her ult, which i know i still need improvement on, im not quite sure what i need help with. any tips?

uncle anime

11-25-2010

poke with E, save Q for when you're fairly certain you can nab someone, try to use finales funkeln when you can hit multiple people because it's far better to blow it on a whole group rather than on a single person just to snipe them. what problems are you having? do you feel you're not doing enough damage? do you keep dying?

Xenotime Gaze

11-25-2010

In general, i feel like im not a major asset to the team. I try my hardest to nab targets, deal damage, reveal gankers, shield allies, etc. but i feel like overall im not doing well enough. I've saved allies yes. I've sniped targets yes, ive stopped potential gankers yes. but overall i feel like i cant do much to help if things spiral out of control. I've had several instances since i first played her where i was one of the few persons to survive a teamfight not because i didnt do my hardest to help, or abandoned my teammates, but simply because i was in the back attacking from a distance and as such could retreat before the opponents could cc/kill me.
Maybe its her playstyle, idk, but i feel as if when i play her, despite being able to deal significant damage from a comfortable distance, im not doing enough. maybe im being too cautious? i've seen and faced some awesome Luxes, so i know im doing something wrong but i cant figure out what. Dying isnt generally an issue.
Maybe its because since she's support, im expecting her to do something more to help her allies survive. other than blocking chasers and shielding allies from potentially lethal blows, im not sure how her playstyle is supposed to work. as in whether it revolves around damage or allied damage mitigation.

Cenerae

11-25-2010

If you're landing all of your skills consistently and intelligently, then there really isn't much more than can be asked of you. Lux's job isn't to wipe out the enemy team, but to hinder it and finish runners (or soften them up when the clash happens) while trying to buffer her own team with the shield.

Since her damage output is mediocre at best, and the shield isn't very potent (unless you manage to hit your team with it on the way back as well as on the throw, in which case it's pretty awesome), it may not feel like you're contributing a lot. This is the issue all support champs have (except for Morg, but I can't term her support with those AP ratios and that ult...), in that early game you rock and have great damage and powerful harrass, but leave a bit to be desired come teamfights. Or at least, you feel like it, but the contribution is still there, and it's still significant. You have an aoe slow and a 2 target root to contribute besides your damage and shield. Being support, you have to realise that you're not there for your damage, but utility. The damage you do is a bonus (and this is why Sona, Janna and Taric are so good despite lacking a lot in actual killing power late game. Zilean too.)

Have you tried a Mejais out? You ought to be getting plenty of assists, and it would be a welcome boost to your power if you're good at not dying. Might want to mix that in with your CDR items.

Seelyon

11-25-2010

This Lux Guide (http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-lux-guide) has a reasonable amount of information that might be worth a read over.

Your definetly not alone, I had similar issues when i first started playing her and still see alot of Lux's being okay but not great like she could be. You should be focusing on sticking to a team-mate and using your E skill to reveal bushes and your Q to snare enemies for ganks. Land W on as many allies as you can during team fights and laser any runners.

Xenotime Gaze

11-26-2010

Quote:
Seelyon:
This Lux Guide (http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-lux-guide) has a reasonable amount of information that might be worth a read over.

Your definetly not alone, I had similar issues when i first started playing her and still see alot of Lux's being okay but not great like she could be. You should be focusing on sticking to a team-mate and using your E skill to reveal bushes and your Q to snare enemies for ganks. Land W on as many allies as you can during team fights and laser any runners.

Thank you for the link. i've been doing all of that, so maybe its just the teams i've been playing on that havent been doing as well. since she's a support, i would guess that like all support champs, she's team dependent.

FlowyS

11-26-2010

Quote:
TimeSeeker:
Hello all. im currently in a conundrum when it comes to lux. I really enjoy playing her but i never seem to be able to do well with her. i've seen people build her as a sumpport mage and do very well with her. however, whenever i try to play her it never goes well. I generally keep my distance, try to shield allies if i can, and do damage without getting myself in harms way, since she has such long ranged abilities. i generally go AP with lots of cooldown (i dont have all my CD runes yet) and some speedy boots (or anti cc if there's a lot of that).

What im asking is, is there something im missing that i need to improve on with Lux? Outside of her ult, which i know i still need improvement on, im not quite sure what i need help with. any tips?

Well in Phreak's Champion Spotlight, Lux didn't really go that defensively as you. Lux leaped out of a bush and initated on both Akali and Kogmaw and under attack by minions just to get Light Binding down. Lux also tried to get kills as long as it is safe to do so (not being killed) when Phreak tried to dive Akali.

Basically, maybe your playing too passively. Remember, Lux's Passive procs from normal attacks and you should feel comfortable (if it is safe) to try to maximize your damage like that. Maybe your problem is being too passively.

Elandair

11-26-2010

The hardest part about playing Lux is the constant need to evaluate a fight every single moment. Most Champions, if not all, should be doing this but as a character with high cooldowns on every ability, save her ultimate, and no real escape mechanism apart from Summoner Spells (unless Light Binding is up) makes her a bit troublesome. It can be very easy to go an entire game without dying if your enemy either ignores you in favor of others or you play a bit more defensively, but you won't be as much use. While her abilities are great at range, she succeeds the most when she is aggressively supporting. Catching a fleeing character in Light Binding can help your team finish them off, a shield to help save a fleeing teammate or slowing a group as you all flee in hopes it will be enough.

I really enjoy playing the Lady of Luminosity, but it really comes down to working well with your team. Immediately when you're laning, if not 1v2, try and see how the other person plays. I evaluate them and try to determine if I can count on them to protect me and help me kill or if they're just auto-attacking and letting the enemy hit them over and over. It's a delicate game as Lux, getting an early advantage is really key, she's very strong up through about level six or seven and if you harass until six you can finish someone off with her ultimate and feel good about it. After that, well, it's up to you! Keep making tactical decisions and if you're feeling down just listen to her cheer you on, she's quite good at it.

aisoku

11-26-2010

ugh. too much to put in a post.
add me in game, name is aisoku, if you wanna ask some questions, easier to answer then.
but whoever said to play silly aggressive lux, die.
whoever said anything that equates to saving your abilities for bursting, dont bother listening.
lux IS support, but she has no heal, and her shield is quite bad. Her snare is her second biggest source of damage, after ulti, and early game her cds suck.
overall she is underpowered. BUT, her job is not to fight like every other character. Her job is to be one of the most brutal harassers in the game, to make people never feel safe, even with full hp, and to ulti them when they run, even if you ultied less than half a minute ago.

I lane with a nasus, and we are on voip all the time. Lux is underpowered, and this helps greatly.
But overall, just hit me up ingame with questions.

gom99

11-26-2010

Are you chaining your abilities together? Lux actually has nice burst damage, especially early. She's very good at early laning and either getting a kill or setting one up. Chain her abilities together with an attack in between them.

eg: Q -> E -> Attack -> Detonate -> Attack is the combo you want to use early game. Use your items to take advantage of your early burst damage...get little items that help boost your AP a bit to get that kill. Doran's Ring, Amplifying Tomes, Kage's Picks, etc.

I usually get Doran Ring > Kage's Lucky Pick -> Boots of Speed -> Kage's Lucky Pick -> Fiendish Codex -> Merc/Sorc/Swiftness/Ninja -> Void Staff -> Death fire Grasp. (I sell the extra pick and doran's when it's convienient to do so)

After this I tend to transfer into survivalibility stuff like Banshee's Veil.

I change based on the game, but that's what I typicially do. If I get back to town and I have 3-4k in my bank, I might get a RoA/Rylai instead.