Hidden Agendas: A Collaborative Fiction

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainMårvelous

07-31-2013

Yes yes yes I know it's late but here. Again, some of this will be confusing unless you read the other story. Though, at this point, it's just a courtesy.

Jannas apartment was far more spacious than Viktors lab and, suffice to say, far more luxurious. Though Janna herself seemed extremely unhappy to see Dirk, mind you. In her living room they sat, the mistress of winds staring down her visitor with bright grey eyes. Absolutely not! There is not a chance in this world that Ill do such a thing! She glared, arms down to further exemplify her pouting.

Dirk sighed to himself, sitting alone. Janna, please. Your- Yet again, Janna interrupted, prompting Dirk to sink back into the chair.

You took Cecil from our makeshift family, you made M a pariah, you. . . You have the biggest nerve on the planet! So WHAT if M took the identity of some author!? We got by and so can he. Just because you helped me after what happened doesnt mean I have to give Viktor even more! Not to mention my HEXCORE! Do you have any idea how volatile this prototype is? As her voice and anger picked up the air in the room seemed to shift and twist, becoming lifelike as Jannas fury gave it energy.

Dirk, however, was unphased. Calmly he stood, walking over to Janna and placing a hand on her shoulder. Janna flinched but didnt stop her windy fury. Janna, you should be trying to mend what you can, not ignoring what can be righted, He said. Jannas eyes were still brimming with grey fire but his words did calm her somewhat.

Janna swallowed a bit of air, breathing slower to try and calm herself. Viktor told you I was cured, right? Did he tell you anything else? She whispered, lips curving into a soft frown. Dirk shook his head slowly, fully putting Janna at ease as she sank into her own chair. One hand combed through her long blond locks, eyes shut as she collected herself after her momentary spark of fury.
Im sorry, Dirk. I-I can be emotional sometimes. M and I still havent exactly gotten over Cecils transformation into whatever his new name is. Just bring the files on the cube and well trade it for a verbal confession from M, the airship and my hexcore prototype. Just dont tell M about this if you can remember to. He wont mind taking the fall but he will- mind threatening Cecil, Jannas breathing went slower. Viktor, for all hes taken, has brought M and I back together. For that I owe him, well, everything. Her smile slowly began to widen, recalling things Dirk was unaware of.

Dirk nodded, returning to sit away from Janna. I understand Janna. I read his application . . . sponsored by you, by the way. But to think Viktor did all of this for your family? Curing the diseases, giving M and yourself medical care for a lethal disease. Im just in shock. Dirk pushed himself up, having to deal with the sudden discovery of Viktors hidden nature. Yes, Viktor still had a great deal of problems but, at his very core, a human heart seemed to beat under a bolted shell of steel.

I guess they were wrong when they said Viktor was a maniacal terrorist.

You do not even know the beginning of it, Dirk.

__________________________________________________ __________

So basically you have two quote-unquote children and some crazy lady living with you in your little hidden lab? Sarah questioned, all three of them surprised by this secret double-life Viktor had been leading behind the Institutes back. While they had only met the blocky robot, they had heard a woman with a heavy country accent arguing with a far more frigid mechanical voice. And you dont tell the Institute why?-

One hand ran down Viktors mask, grumbling to himself. You ask too many questions Fortune. This is my personal life and you have no business questioning it. I do, however, appreciate that you found my son to be honorable and forthcoming. Viktor, Cap, Sarah and Dirk were all moving back to the main camp. While Sarah had not ceased her investigation (bordering on interrogation) on Viktor, Cap and Dirk were quiet. Both men simply watched the path behind Viktor and Sarah while they walked to their small forest camp, making sure they were not followed in the thicket of trees.

For just a moment, Sarah got the hint and remained quiet . . . and then began questioning again. So the rural lady with the prosthetics is really her sister? I mean- This time Viktor abruptly stopped both the groups pace and Sarahs lips. Confusion struck the three more human members of the group, watching Viktor slowly walk forward into their camp. He slowly swung his staff, hexcore glimmering at the top, as if it was a torch.

Dirk stepped forward ever so slightly. You saw something following us into your laboratory didnt you? He asserted, surprising both Captain and Sarah. Viktor turned, holding his staff high while returning Dirks words with a single nod. I figured it wouldnt be long before the Institute sent someone to trail us. Champion? Summoner? What are we dealing with here Viktor?

Such a question would receive an answer far more quickly than expected. From beneath his feet massive oak roots twisted around Dirks legs, making the Summoner seethe in pain and struggle to remain standing. Sarah barely had time to grab her pistols before it emerged from the soil, slamming the ground before her and sending the woman tumbling to the ground. Marvelous yelped in surprise as a thick wooden arm grasped his neck, slamming him against the tree. Mana-infused sap poured from its open mouth as Maokai stood before them, single handedly incapacitating three of the group as the glowing purple eyes focused on Viktor.

The third arm upon Viktors back roared to live, twisting as the palm opened, a shimmering red light pulsing behind the lens. If it was not clear until now, a sapling had placed itself into the captains coat. Viktor peered at Maokai as Maokai peered right back, a standoff took place as the two locked eyes, Marvelous choking as his windpipe was locked up by heavy wooden fingers.

WAIT! MAOKAI! Hear us out! Dirk called, raising an arm to the twisted treant. Maokai turned, makeshift eyes narrowing as he glared at the ex-Summoner. The Institute sent you to find us and, in return, youd be allowed to return to the forest. That is correct, right? He questioned, trying his best neither to hack at the roots with his blade nor attempt to struggle free, trying his hardest to appear non-combative.

Maokais grip loosened around Captains neck. Correct. He spoke flatly, still trying to pick out why the fleshy Summoner was trying to persuade him. Better yet, what he was trying to persuade him of.

And you dont trust them, aye?

. . . Again, correct. . .

So ally yourself with us and Ill do what I can for you once my name is cleared. Dirks words made all three of his allies widen their eyes with stupefied shock, Sarah still on the ground, stumbling to regain her balance while Marvelouss eyes told their own story about how insane he considered Dirk right now.

The treant stared at Dirk, eyes shifting to Viktor and then back to Dirk. After that he began to let out a deep raspy laugh, head turned upwards as mana-sap dribbled from the bark that made up his lips. You, human. You are an amusing one. Yes, it is true that I wouldnt trust one of the Summoners with even a single leaf of mine and yes, I am aware I am likely being used, which is why I am going with the lesser of two evils and deciding as of this moment to align myself with your little group. Maokais grip loosened on Marvelouss neck as the captain fell, coughing. Sarah finally pushed herself up, stepping past the wheezing Captain with not even a care as she peered at Maokai.

Why should we trust you? You turned on the Summoners rather quickly, what makes it so that you wont do the same to us? She poked Maokais broad and wooden chest with a single finger, emerald eyes glaring up at the purple of the treant. Maokais grin only became broader as he pokes Sarahs chest right back, making the poor woman nearly fall atop the hunched-over Marvelous.

Nothing at all, Miss Fortune. Not one thing stops me from betraying you all. I simply offer my allegiance because I do not care one bit about your politics, warring nations or anything. If anything, I find this situation amusing. Still, the one I ensnared seems far more desperate and trustworthy than those who stood on the podium while I stood in chains. Maokais words made Sarah glare at him coldly.

At the very least he's honest, no? she muttered under her breath.

Viktor stood, arm lazily hanging from his back. You were wise to accept such a deal. It would have been no trouble to cut a hole through your entire body with but one blast of my ray. Maokai turned to Viktor, his sullen grin turning to a wicked frown as he clenched his mighty arm. Swinging to hit a nearby tree he stood by, the branches rustled. From them, what had to be at least thirty saplings landed where Viktor stood, circling him and chattering madly like the childish beings they seemed to be.

Maokai pulled his arm back, nodding to Viktor. You, as well as those humans at the Institute, take me for a mindless construct of nature and magic. I warn you now: Continuing to hold that belief will likely result in your death. With this, Maokai threw his arm in a broad stroke, the saplings fleeing into the bushes or landing face first in an explosive accident. Viktors golden optics only narrowed, glaring fervently at the treant.

Slowly Marvelous stood, finally getting the wind back in his lungs. If were about DONE, we should get right the hell out of here. You do realize that if they sent Maokai, it will only be hours before they send someone to figure out if he did his job. If his twig-like loyalty is any indication, they probably sent someone close behind to make sure Maokai didnt fail. He sputtered, leaning against the tree.

Viktor and Dirk nodded, Maokai waving his arm as the roots ensnaring Dirks legs sank back into the earth. Sarah took charge, however, strutting over to her meager belongings and packing quickly. Lets quickly take what we need and head out, dears. Once more, Sarah stepped right past Marvelous, not even giving the wheezing captain a second glance. This time, however, he followed her.

Youre kidding me... Dirk groaned, watching him stand in her way. The two had walked off a considerable distance (thanks to Sarahs speedy strutting) but the voices could be heard. Muffled as they were by distance, the shouting was very evident. Though what was perhaps MORE evident was the echoing sound of Sarah angrily slapping Marvelous across the cheek before storming off. Honestly, they need to make up already. Im getting sick of this childish argument.

Viktor sighed to himself. You do a poor job of showing that you have a functioning group of allies, Dirk. Maokai would have agreed on the sentiment if he didnt have the biggest grin on his face from watching the male and female argue about what he assumed to be pollination or some human equivalent. What hysterical creatures they were.
__________________________________________________ __________

Marvelous and Sarah took a separate elevator from the rest of the group. In fact it was insisted they travel up before Viktor, Maokai and Dirk due to those three being sick of the petty squabble. There they stood in the elevator, staring at each other. I said I was sorry, Sarah. I thought it was enough. Marvelous looked frustrated, trying his best to try and unwrap the enigma of Miss Fortune.

You dont get it Cap.

No I dont. So TELL ME. Why is this such a big deal for you!?

Sarah stared at him, looking hurt and defeated. I thought you looked at me differently. I thought I could honestly trust you. The fact that you said that? The fact that you think Im perfectly ok with being considered such? Thats what hurt. Thats what I cant forgive. She whispered quietly, looking down at the necklace upon her chest.

Suddenly all the words Marvelous had to sour their interaction died in his throat. He couldnt even give her some manner of apology knowing now what the issue was. All he could do was stand there and try to recover from the shock she had just delivered to him. The elevator, thankfully, was finally at Jannas penthouse at what felt like the apex of the world. The doors reeled open, Marvelous and Sarah stepping inside. A trail of voices came from a door far in the back, leading to what had to be the airship docks, busily interrupting each other as the two engaged in a calm but frenzied quarrel.

Janna, I dont care what he did-

M I know you hate Viktor but he-

Yes yes, I realize what happened and Im grateful my burden isnt yours or-

I dont like it either hon but-

Do you really have to give up your hexcore? Thats the only prototype you have an-"

As Sarah and Marvelous entered they saw Janna standing on the dock alongside the man with a crimson coat. He certainly looked similar to Marvelous but several features were wrong. His hair was too dark. He was a bit too tall. His coat was too tattered. But the most important feature was when he looked at them: Bright crimson eyes, peering at both Fortune and Captain. Guess knocking is dead? he said, as if he didnt even care about the harm he had inflicted on Marvelouss reputation.

Miss Fortune, however, is the one who panicked. Her eyes went wide, heart racing. Red eyes. She wasnt at the airship dock anymore. She was home. Mother in a pool of blood. Gunshots. Screaming. Those red eyes. Those red eyes that took everything from her. Only this time, she was armed. Arms quivering, flashbacks clouding her mind, she pointed both pistols at M. The yelling of all three was drowned out. She needed to stop him. She needed to catch him.

No reasoning seemed to work as Sarah aimed to open fire on M. Still, the crimson madness that apparently boosted his reflexes, speed and strength to inhuman levels was no lie. As Sarah opened fire (Marvelous ducking behind her and Janna floating far and away from her line of fire), M dashed between bullets, helped by Sarah was firing poorly thanks to the memories enveloping her mind like a fog. By the time she had some sort of semblance of where she was, he was directly in her guard. Ms hands were grasping her hands and forcing them down. You need to calm down. NOW.

Sarahs breathing picked up before, weakly, she dropped the two guns onto the floor. She had let memories take over her. The stress of the past few days had finally hit her and hit her hard. I figured just because you portray yourself as a bar-hopping broad would mean youre better than that. Guess I was wrong. M muttered, Janna floating back down to the dock. M would have spoken further but his head was shot to the side by a sucker punch from Cap, emerging from the shadows just in time to give M that hook. Sarah was surprised, considering she was pondering the same action not seconds before.

M slowly reeled his head back. Yeah, figure I deserved that for what I did to you. But Marvelous, again, punched. For all intents and purposes his blows injured him more than his imposter but Captain didnt seem to care. You done, Cappy?

Apologize. Marvelous spoke breathlessly, jade eyes locking with Ms ruby ones. You dont get to kick someone when theyre down. You ruined my life but Ill be damned if youre going to spit on Sarah. He seethed.

And why should I?

When he should have relented, Marvelous glared at M. Because we have the files that could ruin your friends life. Now apologize, give us the ship and dont you dare say another word to her.

His head fell down, eyes shrouded by a mane of hair. So you want to ruin Cecils life because I screwed with yours. You want to shatter that little illusion that he can be some lawful citizen in Piltover? Cap grabbed Ms collar, yanking him closer despite the small height difference between them in Ms favor.

M, however, pulled a blade, resting the cold steel against Marvelouss neck. Instantly Marvelous let go, the blade drawing the smallest trickle of blood. You talk pretty well, Mister Author. Write me an excuse as to why I shouldnt end you, here and now. Ms aggravated grin dissipated as he heard the click of a pistol, coming from Miss Fortunes gun resting against his temple.

Let me write for him: You cut, I shoot.

Squippit

07-31-2013

I wish I could fabricate such wonderful stories as you cap. Gl with your identity thief. And neck.

Cliff Walrus

08-01-2013

Couple grammar/typo things in the last one there. Don't get me wrong I still loved it and need a new F5 key.

Quote:
Apologize. Marvelous spoke breathlessly, jade eyes locking with Ms ruby ones. You dont get to kick someone when theyre done.
when they're down.

Quote:
But Marvelous, again, punched. For all intensive purposes his blows
the phrase is "intents and purposes". intensive purposes is a popular misquote

Quote:
Sarah barely had time to grab her revolves before it emerged from the soil, slamming the ground before her and sending the woman tumbling to the ground.
I think you meant revolvers? Shock and Awe are not revolvers or maybe you meant a root came up and the word never made it into the sentence. either way clarify please.

keep it up its good stuff.

CaptainMårvelous

08-01-2013

No problem. Thanks for the notes that I missed!

Raofwind

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2013

This thread is amazing, love the updates. And if I can ever get back to photoshop I'll try to make you some fan art... Because reasons.

Falling Objects

08-03-2013

A couple of your [center] tags appear to be broken. Great job nonetheless. Hope things go well for you if you're legitimately interested in working at riot!

Cliff Walrus

08-06-2013

Quote:
bump. wtf is with all the moved threads into Fan Fiction?
*EDIT* whatever was messed up with fan fiction earlier seems to be fixed, this is now a MOAR post.

Verandure

08-08-2013

Aaand... Captain Marvelous was perma banned from the forums...

BeastOG

08-08-2013

Is it true that the cap got forum banned? And if so, what's gonna happen to the story now? I mean it is Morgageddon's turn to post next, but still.

LesLlamas

08-09-2013

#freeourcaptain