Skill Plateau

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LyghtCrye

12-14-2009

I play Veigar as my main. I seem to have reached a bit of a plateau. I need some help learning some finer talents. I often feel that because I always solo, far too much of my ability to win is in the hands of players that I dont know, and it makes it difficult for me to practice teamwork related aspects of the game. I can see a lot of what I was doing wrong before was just over aggressiveness, but i've corrected that and don't feel like i'm really getting much better. I've read several guides and considered the theorycraft. What is the best way to approach continuing to increase my skill?

Cresil

12-14-2009

League of legends does a a relatively low skill cap compared to other games, but what you can do to progress further is to work on you're decision making. Knowing when to push/when to run etc, i guarantee you if you play a few games a day you will be able to tell me a few moments where you could say you made a bad call that got you/team mate killed.

Xeatoa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2009

play chess
get good at chess
forget about LoL
play more chess

but really, I teach a lot of people how to play games(Ya. They need teaching how to left and right click) and i think this helped me get a lot better at a lot of other games.

Alternatively, make friends with newbs and play with them, and keep trying harder and harder until you're able to carry them in games.

Synxxx

12-14-2009

There's always room to brush up on your reaction time, and if you haven't already; train yourself to only use keybinds. Never ever ever ever ever click skills.

IHaveCrayons

Recruiter

12-14-2009

The thing that is always hard to teach newbies is map awareness. This could be avoiding a gank or helping teammates for a gank. You need to keep watching the minimap and seeing where those little icons go. If you're in the middle and you seem them shift off the minimap towards you, you know a gank is coming.

Some things only experience can teach. The more you play, the better you will become.

JohnCataldo

12-15-2009

Playing as other champions will improve your overall level of play. Learning all the tricks and details of what they can do will make you that much better against them, and might even expose you to tricks you can pull off with Veigar or in combination with other champs.

If you don't already sometimes play with teams on voice chat, you should at least consider it. Since you specifically mention practicing teamwork, it would help a lot. If you only do this, try some solo queuing too. Both have different kinds of teamwork involved! =)

Xetal

12-15-2009

The best way to learn how to counter different types of champions is to play as them and see what stops you. I highly suggest you try out different champions to see what you come up with.(specifically different types: Try a tank, a ranged physical DPS, a melee physical DPS, and a support) I think afterwords you will find that your gameplay across the board has gotten a lot better.

Guthrek

12-15-2009

Those are all good pieces of advice. Also, try to lead your teammates to killing neutrals for the buffs or dragon for the xp. I find myself slacking on that all the time unless someone else in the game is on it with pings and "dragon?"s.

I don't know what elo bracket you're in, but a lot of that teamwork stuff is best learned by playing with people who know what they're doing. After I got out of the "zomfgwtftwitch/(old)ryze" bracket, I got WAY better at playing just because of the coordination of the teams. Unfortunately, veigar isn't a hero who you can push your way up brackets with that well. Pushers are the best for this in the early brackets, imo. When I started playing nasus, I won a good 20ish games in a row (with a couple of losses) and then I peaked a bit.

The skill ceiling for champions is not very high, as has been said. The harder (kind of) parts of the game are game sense, map awareness, teamwork and understanding the metagame.

p.s. just because you can solo doesn't mean you have to.

LyghtCrye

12-15-2009

thank you for the advice, I'll be spending more time in practice games with other heroes, and will try to find a decent AT, rather than always solo queue. I also took a more proactive approach to jungling, in my last few games, and it really helped, i'm surprised at how rarely people take advantage of the buff mobs.

ThePlumber

12-15-2009

If you have ventrio, or can get it, make sure to hop in the LoL vent and play with others while being able to talk. It will help your team skills and you will be able to make friends!

IP: cali6.nationvoice.com
PORT: 4135
PASS: lichbanez