Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ap Janna = Best Janna?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lonely Electrons

Recruiter

11-25-2010

I feel that when my shield absorbs more damage then they can do auras aren't nearly as good. And when my heal is even bigger the better, I see a lot of people build her aura items. But i disagree with that.
What do you think?

Bun Nee

11-25-2010

I build a couple of aura items first for the cooldown reduction/survivability. She controls the battlefield, the more you can use your knock up and slow, the better. After max or close to max cooldown, I will build AP (unless the game calls for a different type of play).

Smellis

11-25-2010

Ap is unecessary.

You gain more benefit from having lower cooldowns and higher mana regen than having the strong spells. This is pretty much unique to janna as best as i can figure, her spells are just so good on their own you want to be able to spam them as soon as they're up. AP is more of a secondary thing you go after, something nice to have after you sort your core items out.

Danmal

11-25-2010

Well Janna has amazing utility on all of her spells. By buying AP you're not increasing anything that makes her really great. The problem with auras is that theres no visual indication that they're doing anything. Your carry isn't going to say "wow, I just survived that akali because of the extra MR from aegis. Thanks Janna!". They'll just say "lol noob akali, I R 2 pro. l2play".

Anyway I don't get enough CS when I play Janna to actually afford any AP items. My job in the lane is to allow my partner to free farm while trying to minimise the farm of the opposing players.

FreeBeers

11-25-2010

Quote:
Danmal:
The problem with auras is that theres no visual indication that they're doing anything. Your carry isn't going to say "wow, I just survived that akali because of the extra MR from aegis. Thanks Janna!". They'll just say "lol noob akali, I R 2 pro. l2play".

This is ridiculous, and completely irrelevant to winning games. Just because one person doesn't realize what's going on around them doesn't negate their benefits to the entire team.

Quote:
Danmal:
My job in the lane is to allow my partner to free farm while trying to minimise the farm of the opposing players.

This.

BarbeqdBrwniez

11-25-2010

Quote:
HighRedstripe:
This is ridiculous, and completely irrelevant to winning games. Just because one person doesn't realize what's going on around them doesn't negate their benefits to the entire team.

I think he was implying that although when you build auras it wont FEEL like they help your team a whole lot, they actually do, and you should do it.

Subdue

11-26-2010

Support Janna > AP Janna > AD Janna

Janna requires very little gold to be effective. The less gold you take away from allies, the better off your team will be.

Theoretically you'd be fine with a pair of boots and 4 Doran Rings. More optimally you'll have cdr items to reach 40% (maximizing the utility of your spells) - I prefer Nashor's Tooth (+15% CDR from Runes/Masteries).

My Janna build tends to be

Doran Ring
Boots of Mobility
Nashor's Tooth
Mass Wards/Aegis/Starks/Will of the Ancients/Banshee's Vail

Boots of Mobility/Nashor's Tooth are core, everything else is just extra.

Banshee's is my last pick of all the luxury items, and I only take it if I'm being heavily focused. With Boots of Mobility, it's very easy to stay out of combat to avoid getting killed while supporting your team.

Silent Reaper

11-26-2010

In my opinion
CDR Max is boss.
But after that you definitely want atleast Mejais + Zhonyas

Smellis

11-26-2010

I've never found myself with enough gold to get zhonya's. Though sometimes i get enough for mejai's.

My core build is tears of the goddess/chalice/spirit shroud/merc treads. I can get this every game no matter how it goes. If it ends in 25 mins good on me i don't care about my other items. If it goes longer i'll usually finish off my AA staff then start building either banshee's or randuin's omen depending on what the largest source of damage is.

I don't like locket on janna just for the simple reason that its proc ability doesn't synergize very well with her. Her spells are kind of costly but long enough cool downs on what you would want to spam that you're not really getting much of anything back for it. To make for the hp recovery i always take strength of spirit in the defensive tree.

Again thats just how i play her and how i've gotten used to her. I do pretty good most of the time having in the neighborhood of 20+ assists and not too many deaths just cause I am free to use my spells on command without worrying about mana.

Schokcha

11-26-2010

AP helps Janna a lot. There's this misconception that since she isn't primarily dealing damage it's a negligible stat; however as you pointed out, OP, her shield and heal benefit a ton from AP (0.9 and 1.4 ratio respectively), which majorly improves her support. And the extra damage, while a secondary concern, isn't bad either (0.75 and 0.8 ratios).

At the very least get Mejais on her (unless your team gets stomped completely). Janna will get tons of assists and not die often (or at all) if played correctly, making Mejais very efficient.

What you get after that, boots and perhaps a chalice depends very much upon the game, I find:
Your team is struggling in fights and needs a small edge? Aegis (if no tank is getting it).
You just don't get that Golem and need some beef? Soul Shroud.
You are stacking that Mejais like there's no tomorrow, blue buff is yours to take, things are looking good? Zhonyas asap.

And always buy wards, they pay off.

Quote:
Boots of Mobility/Nashor's Tooth are core

Don't ever get Nashor's on her. That attack speed just cries "wasted itemization".