how to play amumu

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CarlSagansCosmos

05-07-2010

I'm trying to learn a tank (one that i already own) and amumu I really fancy. The problem is, I understand with him you hold back during laning, trying to use tantrum to get some gold. But what kind of an item build is generally acceptable with amumu?

xzymethx

05-07-2010

farm the whole time, buy items -> armor or mr , and then initate fights with ur ulti
thats the only thing u really have to do, rest it up to ur team

Lightyears

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2010

Spam E.

Razerwind

05-07-2010

If there's magic users, get MR. If they have physical DPSers, buy armor. If they have both, buy both.

Priamos

05-07-2010

Use Q to get in the enemy team, then use your ult. Then press W and spam E to deal what little damage you can. Basically you're they're for your ult, and let your team know to FOLLOW you in after you initiate. If they don't, scream at them.

WitDarkstar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-07-2010

I usually always go for the new Item. Omen. (always forget the first name)

Using your ult + it's slow can hold a team down for a long time for your team to do a lot of damage.

Other items are based on how the game is going. Usually I stack CD with Omen and Shroud. This give a lot of nice bonuses with health, armor, MR, and mana regen.

Other than that you can go for Sunfires or Guardian Angel.

Nomir

05-07-2010

I like to play Amumu myself. I go down the defense mastery tree, and and get the magic penetration in offense tree. I also like to get ghost to help me get into position (or out of a mess) and fortify, because no one else usually gets fortify and it is nice to have one on the team. For runes I get magic pen marks, dodge or mana regen seals, flat cooldown reduction glyphs, and flat health quints.

I usually start with Doran's Shield and a health potion. With the extra health from quints, masteries, and dorans I can help take a little more harassment early in the game while I harass myself. I then work on a Sunfire Cape, getting the Giant's Belt first. (I may get the basic boots as well. It depends on my gold.) You do need to be more careful with your mana early. Around level 5 and 6 I begin to have mana problems, but later in the game I don't have the mana problems. The Golem is helpful for the mana regen and cooldowns.

After getting Sunfire I get my boots (Merc Treads or Ninja Tabi depending on the team). Other items that I like to get are Aegis for armor for everyone, Thornmail against auto attackers, Guardian Angel if I'm struggling to stay alive, Randuins since it is new and fun, Rylai's for its slow and health, Banshee's against casters, or more Sunfire Capes for more damage.

OrthodoxChaote

05-07-2010

I don't know what everyone's talking about. Amumu is fantastic.

The thing about him is his build needs to be REALLY based on the enemy team. Don't think about survival when you decide your buildfocus. I know that's gonna get me yelled at but let me explain:

Amumu is powerful as ****, he just needs to be built correctly. If they're all low HP heroes you stack sunfires, damage wise. If they're all tanks then it's AP AMUMU TIME. Since AP does work with Despair it can be used to bring a tank down fairly quickly. But you need to remember that Amumu is still a tank. So, AP tanking items. Rod of Ages, Rylai's. These are your friends.

Tanking items that give CDR are also good. Frozen heart, Soul Shroud, etc.

Don't be one of those guys who just uses Amumu for his ult and then whimpers like a litlte ***** in prison. Build Amumu right based on the enemy team and you can **** some **** up while tanking and providing disable for your team.

Yellow Jester

05-07-2010

In terms of despair damage sunfire capes are way better 99% of the time. Not only do they add health and armor, but they give 40 damage per second. That 40 per second is equal to 2% of most people's health. That's equal to 200 AP. The only case that 100 more AP is better than a sunfire cloak is when they have more than 4000 hp.

Tantrum damage, on the other hand, rapidly increases with ap (.5 AP ratio AoE getting spammed in your face hurts). Amumu should be built as a hybrid, able to deal damage and take it. Sunfire capes are definitely your friends, and an Abyssal Scepter should be included on every amumu. AP, MR, and MR reduction spells victory.

Tenant

Friend of Urf

05-07-2010

I agree with Orthodox: Amumu benefits with a build based around the enemy team. There are a few staples for Amumu, but you wanna get those items in the right order wisely, depending on the team and the situation.

Haven't tried Abyssal though, but it sounds awesome on him