0 LP in Division V is a toxic wasteland

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokingPuffin

07-03-2013

Recently I discovered lolnexus.com. It's one of several sites that can give you a scouting report on the players in your game: what division are they in, what is their previous record with this champion, what runes and masteries are they using, are they solo or duo, and so on. This has made me more aware of what ranking my teammates and opponents have.

Looking at the games where I've had a troll or rager, a common pattern emerges: that player is more often than not stuck on 0 LP in Division V of their league. Could be Diamond, Platinum, or Gold V, and I'm sure this pattern exists in the lower elos as well. To be clear, I don't mean the pseudo "troll" that picks something unconventional and then doesn't do so hot, I mean the out and out troll that feeds first blood and then spends their time chilling in the fountain.

I think players that are pinned to 0 LP like this feel like they have nothing to lose -- no matter how low their MMR goes, they'll still be in that division. They also probably feel like they have nothing to gain, because when you are pinned like this, you lose many more LP for a loss than you gain for a win. Neither progress nor demotion seems possible for these players, and that feels pretty bad.

As a result, some of the players in this situation develop a "who cares?" attitude to the game. Whenever the slightest thing goes wrong -- maybe the laner doesn't come help them in a gank, maybe mid feeds first blood stupidly, maybe they were last pick and were forced to support -- they just stop trying.

I would estimate that more than half the seriously negative ranked play experiences I've had in the past 2 months have been sourced to a 0 LP in Division V player. Probably it was like this earlier too, but I wasn't paying as much attention to the league positions of players in the game.

Roit plz, you've got to do something about this. It has gotten to the point where I dread seeing a Diamond V player on my team.

ZephyrDrake

07-03-2013

they might not be able to drop any further (unless they go inactive for a month) but their MMR will continue to drop and they'll be paired with others from a lower division and when they do decide to climb they'll be earning something like 2~3 LP and losing 20+ due to how low their MMR would be. The only reason Riot would change this is if they get rid of the whole promotion series thing since there would be nothing more frustrating than going 3-2 and then losing a few games and dropping back

SmokingPuffin

07-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrDrake View Post
they might not be able to drop any further (unless they go inactive for a month) but their MMR will continue to drop and they'll be paired with others from a lower division and when they do decide to climb they'll be earning something like 2~3 LP and losing 20+ due to how low their MMR would be.
The problem isn't who they get paired with. MMR works fine for that, always has.

The problem is that these players aren't seeing any progress in either direction. It's a toxic environment that makes them more prone to troll and rage.

Elem5nt

07-03-2013

True story. I was Silver IV around 70-ish LP and got dropped to Silver V 0 LP about 3 times now. Since then I'm sure I've been reported numerous times because I know I have been toxic and you described exactly how I feel about the situation.

I know I don't belong in Silver V, but GD will say I do. I am trying to carry myself out with proxy Singed right now and it's a slow process. I've won 5 out of 6 games, but I'm only at 59 LP. I can play well at higher elos and with better teammates, but it's very hard to "carry" games when there is little to no teamwork, extremely negative attitudes, no objective control, and people don't even have a basic understand of Champion mechanics or how to lane swap.

I can literally win my lane 2/0 in w/ 100 CS at 10 minutes and will still manage to lose a game so at some point I get extremely frustrated and stop caring because it becomes more fun to troll than to try to win knowing I will only be dragged down despite my efforts.

SwaggaMcRomney

07-03-2013

im diamond 5 on my main and i find no reason to go any higher

Diamond 1 isnt any different from diamond 5, i currently get 35 points per game on it

Cha Cha San

07-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaggaMcRomney View Post

Diamond 1 isnt any different from diamond 5, i currently get 35 points per game on it
Ahahahaha.

BlazingSalvo

07-03-2013

Quote:

We're talking about D5's like QualityPlayer. Well bad example since I like QP and he's not really toxic, but the example is there- my point is he gets paired with golds, at one point silvers, because he's not diamond in skill level. Some players get carried or abuse a mechanic/OP champ/etc. to get carried to the bottom of a tier they don't belong, and then feel entitled to win games against players of lower tiers, even though they are actually lower skill level. This leads to a bizarre superiority/inferiority type thing going on where they think they should be winning but their teams lose games for them or something.

When I was up for my gold series from silver I got at least 3-4 Plat 5s. They were the most toxic players I've ever met on league.

Puffins

07-03-2013

Puffins <3

YasOOOH KILL EM

07-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
Recently I discovered lolnexus.com. It's one of several sites that can give you a scouting report on the players in your game: what division are they in, what is their previous record with this champion, what runes and masteries are they using, are they solo or duo, and so on. This has made me more aware of what ranking my teammates and opponents have.

Looking at the games where I've had a troll or rager, a common pattern emerges: that player is more often than not stuck on 0 LP in Division V of their league. Could be Diamond, Platinum, or Gold V, and I'm sure this pattern exists in the lower elos as well. To be clear, I don't mean the pseudo "troll" that picks something unconventional and then doesn't do so hot, I mean the out and out troll that feeds first blood and then spends their time chilling in the fountain.

I think players that are pinned to 0 LP like this feel like they have nothing to lose -- no matter how low their MMR goes, they'll still be in that division. They also probably feel like they have nothing to gain, because when you are pinned like this, you lose many more LP for a loss than you gain for a win. Neither progress nor demotion seems possible for these players, and that feels pretty bad.

As a result, some of the players in this situation develop a "who cares?" attitude to the game. Whenever the slightest thing goes wrong -- maybe the laner doesn't come help them in a gank, maybe mid feeds first blood stupidly, maybe they were last pick and were forced to support -- they just stop trying.

I would estimate that more than half the seriously negative ranked play experiences I've had in the past 2 months have been sourced to a 0 LP in Division V player. Probably it was like this earlier too, but I wasn't paying as much attention to the league positions of players in the game.

Roit plz, you've got to do something about this. It has gotten to the point where I dread seeing a Diamond V player on my team.
Something similar, my smurf plays higher ranked people than my main, and my main is in a higher rank. I tried different things than what I was used to playing when I hit gold on my main and now it's pointless to play ranked on it, because I do get less points for a win than a loss. Now my main is matched with silver players.

Meanwhile my smurf is silver1 getting matched with gold 1-5 and I easily climb and get good amount of points and I win streak commonly.

This system is more punishing against those who have a bad streak and good for those who can win streak.

Dokmazing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-03-2013

Quote:

uhh... i'm diamond 5 aswell and diamond 1 is a lot different than diamond 5.