Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why HA needs a Blind and a Draft queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrosPigeon

07-04-2013

Quote:
Bions:
That's a pretty good idea. Well it's a way better idea than having an aram, blind, and a draft queue.
If ABAM was like that, I would definitely play it more often. Although Draft is still the only game mode with counterpicks available.

Ahlen

07-05-2013

Quote:
FDru:
Dom has the problem of Blind and Draft (essentially the same mode) competing with one another, they even share elo. The fact that they share elo caused huge problems for Draft mode, being the less popular mode, and made queue times ridiculous for most players in it. Eventually this led to most players just abandoning Draft. It's not because Draft wasn't good or wanted, but because the elo system was not loose enough to give players games in a reasonable time when they queued for Draft.

Tanks were chosen all the time in ABAMs, and champs like Yi or Nid were not as scary when you could pick Veigar or Fiddle and just kill them all game long.

It's true that you'd have players saying "omg we need a Nid/Blitz" in basically every champ select, but those champs weren't as gamebreaking when the enemy team was a well-put-together comp or had a counter (like Veigar/Morgana).

From what I understood being a longtime Dom player (1100 games or so), Draft died because there was no dodge penalty for awhile, so everyone would just ditch if they didn't like the matchup.

By the time queue dodge was re-enabled, it was too late and draft queue was dead.

GrosPigeon

09-24-2013

Thought I would bring this thread back to life to see what newcomers think about it.

newbin

09-24-2013

That was a solid post GrosPigeon. That is pretty rare on this forum. I'm sure a draft option would be welcomed by high mmr players and that is a great argument for it. Still i don't see that happening anytime soon understandable.

I believe riot is doing wait and see with aram for now even might be doing their own Player Behavior study on this forum as well. Which would make sense considering the lack of riot input on this forum.

Kedoren

09-24-2013

People will tire of ABAM and/or ADAM quickly. Mark my words.

newbin

09-24-2013

Quote:
Kedoren:

There are some of us who played it for over a year in custom.

GrosPigeon

09-25-2013

Quote:
Kedoren:
Been playing ADAM since the release of Draft mode.

Fabs457

09-25-2013

I would like the mode more if I could at least prevent one (or two) of Sona/Nid/Jayce/Zyra/etc. from all appearing on the same team. Draft would be awesome

FDru

09-25-2013

Quote:
GrosPigeon:
Thought I would bring this thread back to life to see what newcomers think about it.

Oh good, I never would have seen this if you didn't.

Quote:
Ahlen:
From what I understood being a longtime Dom player (1100 games or so), Draft died because there was no dodge penalty for awhile, so everyone would just ditch if they didn't like the matchup.

By the time queue dodge was re-enabled, it was too late and draft queue was dead.

Dominion originally had queue dodge penalties, they weren't disabled until a few months in (actually they were disabled, then enabled, then disabled again, like someone was flipping a switch or something before they were eventually disabled for a huge amount of time like 8 months). But even with queue dodge penalties, high elo draft queues were still ridiculous. Meanwhile blind pick had healthy queue times even for the highest elo players because that was where all of the Ryze/Kassadin/Yorick spammers were taking up all of the high elo positions.

Jeddite

Recruiter

09-25-2013

The lack of a dodge penalty in draft Dominion did not kill draft mode, no-f*cking sir.

What killed draft-mode Dominion was that Riot killed Jabebot, which ended the de facto Dominion rank ladder. What keeps draft-mode Dominion dead is the stupid-long queue times (a cyclical problem) and the lack of support Riot gives to Crystal Scar. And that's not solely balance issues -- it's that Riot doesnt promote Dominion (or Twisted Treeline) because the focus is on Summoner's Rift 24/7 (and the other maps suffer for it).