Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why HA needs a Blind and a Draft queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrosPigeon

07-02-2013

1. There is a player base for Blind and Draft on HA
In the many threads in favor of ADAM/ABAM queues, there is always someone talking it down saying that there weren't enough custom game lobbies back in the PG days. Well to that I only have one thing to say: Did you notice how this forum expanded with new people when HA was released? Most of the forum posters and ARAM players weren't even playing before the queue, so the amount of ADAM/ABAM custom game lobby is irrelevant now since the HA player base is mostly new players. What is relevant now is the actual demand for Draft and Blind game modes. There are so many threads asking for Draft and Blind queues on HA that it is undeniable that there is a player base for those game modes.

2. Why it would be beneficial to the HA community
Right now, HA is "the ARAM map" and that is a terrible thing for the HA community. ARAM basically means "cluster**** of retarded team comps" and that is why there will never be a balance change for HA. It is not taken seriously by anobody and we have so many problems regarding balance and smurfing and Riot is not doing anything about it. Then again... why would Riot ever waste resources to balance a game mode designed to be inconsistent? The best thing Riot can do is address frustration issues without really balancing anything just like they are doing with the Orb of Winter because right now ARAM is not the fun and fast paced game mode everyone used to love in customs. People are crying out for balance and different ways to play on The Howling Abyss because there are smurfs everywhere and playing ARAM is more frustrating than ever.

"But in ADAM/ABAM, you only see the same 20 champions, it’s boring"
If there was Draft and Blind queue, there would be a meta. There would be strategies, team compositions and counterpicks available. It's true that, in the current state of the game, there are champions stronger than others and they would be picked more often. Although if you give it some time, Riot would certainly take the time to make map specific balance changes just like they did with Dominion not too long ago. If the game was consistent enough, Riot would be able to identify what needs to be adjusted and make the necessary changes on HA.

3. Fun
The fun part of ARAM really is the mystery factor. You play those wonky comps that make no sense vs some other wonky comps that make no sense and it’s this big neverending teamfight that makes ARAM so much fun to play. The problem is that only 5% of ARAMs are like that? If not less? People dodge bad comps, people smurf, games are one sided. ARAM is not the fun game mode it was designed to be. On the other hand, ABAM still has the mystery factor because you never know what team you are facing. The top champions are picked most of the time, but to be honest, the only difference between playing ARAM vs. smurfs and ABAM is that instead of having trash champs with no synergy with one another, you get a team equally as strong. I personally have much more fun playing games that aren’t one sided and stupid. I love the HA format but hate the Random pick type. Smurfing and dodging are the two most toxic and game breaking mechanics in ARAM. With Blind and Draft queues, we would no longer have these problems.

4. Howling Abyss competitive scene
Right now, ARAM high mmr is Smurf Wonderland. The team comp you roll is a bigger factor than your personal skills for winning the game. I can safely say that 95% of ARAM games are decided in the loading screen. The majority of games are one sided and are frustrating to play with a competitive mindset. There will never be a HA competitive scene if ARAM is the only queue. I mean what would high level HA tournaments be like? Who has the best smurf wins? Who is the luckiest wins? ARAM is the only game mode where good players will lose to terrible players out of luck. In Draft and Blind pick, the only two factors are your personal skills and your decision making. You have to outplay to win the game. The game outcome is in your hands and not in the hands of the random algorithm.

The fact that ARAM is the only queue is holding Howling Abyss back in so many ways. The map has the potential to be played in competitive settings and should be taken seriously by Riot for balance changes.

5. More profit for Riot
In the only current way of playing on Howling Abyss, it is punishing to own many champions. That is working against Riot's business model since people are not purchasing as many champions as they would if Howling Abyss was a balanced environment.

Xtazed

07-02-2013

^ riot hire this man, valid points are valid. Make it happen pls i've been dreaming about draft PG/HA queue since PG got released. Custom games are impossible to fill Under 10 minutes and that's without dealing with dodgers.

Zorpinka

07-02-2013

No Blind pick please. You'll never see 95% of the champs and every match will be a 3-4 champ mirror match every game.

Draft would be awesome though.

Ahlen

07-03-2013

Didn't really work out for Dom.

CancerMuffin

Recruiter

07-03-2013

Blind pick would be horrible. Every game will have 2 master yis and 2 nidalees, and no one will ever play tanks/bruisers, or any support other than blitzcrank.

GrosPigeon

07-03-2013

Quote:
CancerMuffin:
Blind pick would be horrible. Every game will have 2 master yis and 2 nidalees, and no one will ever play tanks/bruisers, or any support other than blitzcrank.
It can't be worse than the current ARAM.

Zupekadia

07-03-2013

Riot should put more game modes in and allow more customization, not less. I'm with the OP here. Give the people what they want.

ZyniX69

07-03-2013

Quote:
CancerMuffin:

That's what bans are for. I could see Blitz, Jayce, Lux, Nid, Amumu, and maybe Sona or Malphite as the usual bans. Yi is reworked already so that leaves a lot of room still for some decent team comps minus the cheese.

Aametherar

07-03-2013

Quote:
CancerMuffin:

Actually I used to play blind and draft, mainly draft. Just played blind recently. You do see a lot of regulars but there's actually a lot more variety than you think. In fact the ABAM I played today had 0 duplicate champs between both teams. Let's see if I can drudge it up off lolking.

Okay so at the start one guy asked heimer or jayce? I told him statistically heimer wins more than any champ except sona, so he said good enough and picked heim, someone else then picked sona xD. I picked nidalee. The final team composition was...

Nidalee, Heimerdinger, Sona, Gangplank, Oriana
Vs.
Xerath, Ezreal, Caitlyn, Fizz, Master Yi

The match lasted a decent length, my team won but it was more about the players than the champs.

New Gamerleans

07-03-2013

As an avid Howling Abyss streamer and tournament host, I demand Draft Pick be instilled.

Riot, if you read this, how could you be so short-sighted to put Draft in Dominion (which has 8 billion hour queues) and neglect it in Howling Abyss?