Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Fortify: Why is it so frowned upon?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RagnatheBloodedg

11-24-2010

All right, I will admit I am probably stirring up trouble, and i will come right out and say this. When I play any tank, be it a secondary or primary, I run Fortify as one of my spells because NO ONE will take it. I realize that, ever with the buffed version, more than 50% of the damage it would deal is lost between after it kills a target and acquires another one.

What I want to know is why everyone sees it as a horrid spell, but whenever I am playing and we are getting beaten that it is the only reason we don;t lose that additional turret, or that we manage to get that deciding kill on that legendary slayer? I'm not sure if this is meant for the strat section of the forums, but I'd like to here some reasons besides there are better ones. There are better ones than clairvoyance, but as it turns out no one whines when they see it!

Kamono

11-24-2010

I don't think its that bad of a spell, just that there could be better ones you can use. Maybe if they increased the towers attack speed or made it target heros when under "Fortify" that might make it more useful.

RagnatheBloodedg

11-24-2010

Quote:
Kamono:
I don't think its that bad of a spell, just that there could be better ones you can use. Maybe if they increased the towers attack speed or made it target heros when under "Fortify" that might make it more useful.

Attack speed is essentially doubled when fortify is used, the upgrade gives it 50% splash damage.Though I find it often ignores heroes, but that could just be me.

KylianYo

11-24-2010

5 people with fortify is 15 seconds of invulnerability to a turret. Who cares about attack speed on a turret when the enemy cannot advance, AT ALL, even if your team has been aced.

Probably the most underrated spell in the game.

Spikey00

11-24-2010

It's very situational, and mostly for the early to late game phase. The duration is short, the cooldown is lengthy, and towers generally become insignificant during the late game phase. Sure, it could save your tower from a single minion wave during those 5v5 pushes/tower harass, but after that, it's free reign once again.

Belbin

11-24-2010

Quote:
RagnatheBloodedg:
Attack speed is essentially doubled when fortify is used, the upgrade gives it 50% splash damage.Though I find it often ignores heroes, but that could just be me.

Turrets only ever target a champion if they are being hostile towards a friendly champion, otherwise they'll avoid them like the plague.

The biggest problem with Fortify is that there are just better spells to take. Saving a turret for a while may help, but in the long run it wont stop the other team from destroying it and getting the gold for it. Turrets late game simply become piles of gold waiting to be looted. Rather than fortity, you could even take heal which could flat out prevent a kill for your enemy or more, maybe even pushing your team to be more aggressive and get a kill. The turrets in LoL are great early game for protection that you often need, and for slowing down pushes, but even with the attack boost they arent strong enough even mid game to be worth it, considering the target priority and having to lock-on before firing. For now, it makes a decent filler spell that still has uses, but like rally it gets easily forgotten, waiting a great re-make or buff.

Cenerae

11-24-2010

Fortify can be really good in the right situation. If you can communicate well with your team, you can severely punish tower divers with it. You can stall for time, or even clear a big wave of minions pushing a tower nobody can defend in time (assumming you have the mastery for it)

That's all it can really do though. Most of the time you'd rather take something else that's less situational, but if you have 1 or 2 specced fortifies you can keep your towers standing a lot longer unless it's a concentrated 5 man push.

However, it -is- incredibly satisfying to kill a tower diver who thought he was safe by using fortify.

Elealar

11-24-2010

It's a very team-dependent spell, but e.g. a kiting team that seeks to push where enemy team isn't present REALLY loves it. See SK-Gaming's play from the WCG for examples of that. Really, the only problem is that it takes a skilled team aware of its existence to use it. Most solo queue teams simply won't MAKE it work and thus it'll end up underwhelming. It's also a "Do nothing"-spell and thus requires a carrier who can get by with only one summoner spell, much like Clairvoyance. Bonus points if the carrier is a tank with Taunt thus able to make it work alone. Shen in particular, with Stand United, does this amazingly well.

JohnCataldo

11-25-2010

The usual reason Fortify shouldn't be taken because Teleport exists. There are a lot more situations where Teleport saves a tower where Fortify wouldn't, and very few situations where Fortify would save a tower and Teleport wouldn't. If you don't have teammates fairly close anyway, Fortify is pretty likely to just make the tower die about 7 seconds later. (I'm assuming the mastery is taken here for Fortify as well, because otherwise it's far worse at protecting an undefended tower. Non-upgraded fortify won't even kill an entire minion wave before the Fortify effect is done, and really shouldn't be taken except in trick team builds.)

Beyond comparing those situations, Teleport is almost always more useful:

The cooldown is far shorter for Teleport than Fortify. Even if you only ever used Teleport to protect an endangered tower, you could do it a lot more often than Fortify. (And the effect is more exaggerated than even the cooldown difference would make you think, because much of the value of either Fortify or Teleport is simply having it available -- Teleport gives you much wider windows of opportunity to do good things with it because of the cooldown.)

Teleport can be used offensively to attack an enemy tower in the reverse situation where you'd use either Teleport or Fortify to defend, giving you roughly twice as many situations where you want Teleport over Fortify.

Teleport can often be used to help save a teammate across the map (a poor version of Shen's ult), or offensively to Gank.

Fortify sometimes gets a kill in combination with Taunt and/or stupid enemies who forget you have Fortify.

I still run Fortify sometimes, but honestly it's more for variety and fun than power. I never run it without the mastery. So it's strictly on some tanks or junglers, sometimes one-in-the-same. (A team with five Teleports and five Fortifies would be hard pressed to lose many towers quickly. Consider mixing in some Revives if you want. Of course, fights would probably go far worse without any Flash, Ghost, Exhaust or Ignite! =)

SynergyDreamer

11-25-2010

Fortify is nice on Nasus, the passive helps getting Siphoning Strikes early game. The perk itself fails mid-late game if there's a catapult, in that case you need two fortifies to save the tower anyway...
Considering the catapult(s) is away from the ranged creeps the splash is wasted....