Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's talk about Yorick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr When

07-15-2013

Xelnath are you completely against different ghouls? It seems that you are really not wanting anything to do with the old Yorick and make something completely new and different
I dont like that

SirTimbo

07-15-2013

Yorick Players:

What is the fantasy of playing Yorick?
Building up an Army of ghouls slaughtering the opposition.

What are the high moments of Yorick?

When I get all my ghouls and my ulted ghoul ranged carry beating on a target and wearing them down painfully slowly.

What do you dislike most about playing Yorick?

Two things. One my ghouls don't feel impactful, I could care less if they get focused down or not and without an enemy to hit I can only use 2 abilities.

Yorick Opponents:
What is the most frustrating part of facing Yorick?
Getting worn down by a ghoul that also heals yorick and feeling like you wasted your time by killing it instead of just running from it.

How do you win a game against Yorick?

Tell the jungler to ignore your lane as you'll play super passive and to **** on their bot lane or any enemy ad so his ult is useless late game.

What do you enjoy most about facing Yorick?

The challenge as you know in the lane he has the advantage regardless of your hero, so if you win or come out even in the lane you just fel that much better.

How does Yorick lose a game?

By not having a fed carry he can ult. Basically him getting ahead doesn't do much for his team, but if he has a squishy mid or his AD carry gets ahead he's great. Kinda like a reverse morde except morde himself is great late game.

Siky

07-15-2013

I wouldn't be too hung up on the whole Horseman idea. I understand that his ghouls are named after them as an homage, but if we dispose of the current Ultimate and revamp Yorick, I think the Horseman tie-in eats at a lot of idea real-estate as well.

Having Yorick's ghouls be larger spiderlings akin to Elise feels like a better idea. If the goal of Yorick is to summon (minions) and his counter-play is to destroy them, that should honestly be the focus of his remake. Also we want to maintain the fact that he should in fact be a melee bruiser that can provides some utility, but in general wants to chase or initiate more than he wants to peel.

Quote:
":
Expiration Date

Yorick's lantern beckons one spirit every 20 seconds (Maximum 5). Striking a champion with an ability will cause the lantern to spawn a ghoul.

Yorick's ghouls guard him by default, redirecting 10% of all damage Yorick takes to them. If Yorick commands more than 3 ghouls, they will slowly lose health over time, until only 3 ghouls remain.

I really like this idea, however not completely. I think Yorick should continue to maintain 3 ghouls and kind of mix this with Unholy Covenant.

Quote:
":
Ghoulish Beacon

Yorick's lantern beckons the spirits of fallen foes and allies to him. Whenever a minion, monster or champion dies, his cooldowns are reduced by 1 second.

If Yorick's Ghouls were to act like Elise minions, we all understand that Elise's spiderlings already act as a shield for her in many ways and already reduce damage just by the fact that it's harder to hit her with skill shots and what not. The same thought could be transferred directly to Yorick. However we don't really want to clone Elise with an undead theme so this is where the rest of his kit should strengthen and separate his "Caretaker" theme.

Q - Frenzied Ghoul
[1] (Ghouless Active - Self) Yorick summons a white ghoul that increases the attack and movement speed of Yorick and fellow ghouls up by 5% to 25% when active. When the ghoul dies, the increased movement speed buff decays over 1 second.

[1] (Ghouless Active - Ally) Yorick summons a white ghoul near target ally, increasing their attack and movement speed by 5% to 25% for 2 seconds before turning to Yorick.

[2] (Ghoul Active - Self) Yorick absorbs the ghoul, cleanses all slows and gains double the attack and movement speed buff for 4 seconds.

[2] (Ghoul Active - Ally) Yorick picks up a ghoul with his shovel and tosses them at his ally increasing their attack and movement speed by 5% to 25% for 2 seconds before returning to Yorick.

W - Decaying Ghoul
[1] (Ghouless Active - Self) Yorick summons a green ghoul that leaves behind a trail of rot. Yorick's and fellow ghoul's basic attacks now slow the enemy for 25% to 40% when active. If an enemy kills the ghoul, it explodes slowing Yorick and his other ghouls by 25% to 40% for 2 seconds if he's close to the explosion.

[1] (Ghouless Active - Enemy) Yorick summons a green ghoul on the enemy that instantly explodes after a delayed spawn, causing everything caught in the explosion to be slowed for 25% to 40% for 4 seconds.

[2] (Ghoul Active - Self) Yorick absorbs the decaying ghoul and becomes immune to all future slows for 2 seconds.

[2] (Ghoul Active - Enemy) Yorick's picks up the decaying ghoul with his shovel and tosses it at a target area causing it to explode and slow everything by 25% to 40% for 4 seconds.

E - Voracious Ghoul
[1] (Ghouless Active - Self) Yorick summons a red ghoul that increases the lifesteal of himself and his ghouls by 30% to 50%.

[1] (Ghoul Active - Enemy) Yorick summons a red ghoul next to his enemy that constantly attacks them, reducing their healing and health regen by 50% by 1 second and is refreshed every time the ghoul hits them until it dies.

[2] (Ghoul Active - Self) Yorick absorbs the ghoul and regenerates 5% to 25% of his maximum health over 10 seconds.

[2] (Ghoul Active - Enemy) Yorick picks up the Voracious Ghoul and launches it at target area, reducing the effectiveness of healing and health regen by 50% for the next 5 seconds.

R - Rampage of an Undead Army
Yorick radiates an aura that constantly and greatly heals his all of his ghouls and allied minions and monsters for 20 (or something long) seconds. While this is active, all ghouls that Yorick would normally absorb will still buff Yorick without being absorbed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kit Summary
So basically, Yorick still contains as much utility as he can without having a hard CC. Can be very annoying while chasing you down as he heals, slows and runs around everywhere.

Team Fights
He counters healing supports and champions that require lifesteal / spellvamp to survive, causes many area of effect debuffs and in general tries to control certain things around the battlefield best he can. With the ability to also AOE slow and offer a movement speed boost to allies, he is able to kind of help peel for ADCs by speed boosting them and slowing enemies that are trying to dive onto them. Also synergizes well with champions that have minions that die over time or have health themselves (Elise, Malzahar, Heimerdinger if you want to count turrets as minions, other champions like Annie and even Mordekaiser to an extent, though their minions are on a timer).

End Game Pusher
With this kit, Yorick when he ults makes him a ridiculous pusher similar to Sivir, but while Sivir makes minions go berserk, Yorick just makes them extra durable making even early game tower sieges really powerful and the only real counterplay to this is to destroy his ghouls so that all you're getting is high regen creeps knocking at your door instead of faster attacking, self healing ghouls as well.

Kinda long and probably will most likely be ignored, but the idea remains to basically say this:

Yorick should be a utility bruiser. Hard to kill and annoying without hard CC. Utility champs are weaker individually (as in killing power will be low), but they enable others to kill.

Force Yorick to do something in lane. If he must attack something to heal himself, that requires him to put himself in danger, currently he just tosses E on people and heals. There basically isn't counter play to this because either he hits you, hurts you and heals himself or he hits minions and heals himself. You can't stop this.

Give Yorick something to do late game other than face smash all of his buttons when off CD and press R on the resident ADC when a fight starts. He basically doesn't have any strategy and the difference between a good Yorick in a late game team fight and any other Yorick is nothing IMO. You can't tell if there's a difference because there's not a lot of thinking involved with Yorick's kit, he literally just fires ghouls off in crowded areas whenever possible. My suggestion is to have him passively have people want to rally with him to push because he's so damn strong at it, but he needs something. Currently he doesn't actually have a late game goal other than ult the carry and spam buttons when a fight starts. He doesn't have any real targets he needs to focus on and he doesn't have any ability to peel or lock down key targets.

Shenalia

07-15-2013

Yaaay~

Quote:
Xelnath:
... this is perfect. He swings and punts a ghoul in a line with his shovel. KA-THUNK. Flying ghoul.

If no ghoul is available, he flings a clod of dirt instead. Clods of dirt blow up on impact. Ghouls pass through targets.

I mentioned this exchange to my friends during an ARAM. Their response? "Yorick will need a Pitcher skin to go with Trundle's "Lil' Slugger" skin, and his ghouls can be dressed in team uniforms."

XxxLumberJackxxX

07-15-2013

Hey Xelnath-

I like where you are going with this and the direction you are taking. if you continue on this route Ill be picking up yorick and some skins to match as I currently dont play him (I think he's useless).

Fun idea. I think With your spirit ammo system there should be a way to store more spirits than 5 and a time limit on how fast he can change them to ghouls, then his ultimate can be 'all stored spirits be freed'. This may need min/maxing but it would be a LOT of fun to say, trade lane harass/sustain pre 6 and then at level 6 BOOM unleash the flood and swarm a tower. This could also open up some fun for jungle yorick.

Try-"Yorick digs into the ground, for every second he is digging it costs X mana and 2 spirits are turned into ghouls, this continues until yorick is out of mana or out of spirits"

This could be coupled with a 'can not collect more spirits while ult on CD' type limitation so he can't just continue on the teamfight willy nily if he blows it all at once.

The ghouls should keep fighting after Yoricks death as well.

Spectre06

07-15-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
If we consider the new "E" to be "Go over here, Ghoul", then you are moving a ghoul from your backline into the front line, then transforming it.

Here's a revised tooltip.

I still don't know how Yorick wouldn't get absolutely destroyed in lane with this kit or how this would provide more teamfight utility with than what he has right now. He has:

- No escapes/engages/speed, etc.
- No hard CC
- No real sustain
- No range
- No utility
- Etc.

His non-passive kit is pure damage with:

- A cleave that no ranged champ will ever let him use.
- A slow that is dodgeable and likely a weak number/duration given that it's aoe.
- A dash that essentially lines up ghouls for a ranged champ to shoot.

All a ranged champ has to do is kite him and blow up his ghouls. That doesn't make for an interesting lane matchup, it makes it so that Yorick is hard countered in the most frustrating way possible.

What happens in teamfights? Yorick can't get close enough to engage on an enemy because he has no gap closer. If he puts his ghouls out early, they get blown up instantly by a 5 man team or any champ with a real aoe. He's stuck waiting on the back lines for others to engage and then trying to ult and pop an aoe skill onto a team before his flimsy ghouls explode. Once he ults and his ghouls are gone, he's pretty worthless... exactly like he is now with his R.

Yeah, this may be a different flavor but I just can't see a scenario where anyone would pick this kit over anything... including his current one.

Pullution15

07-15-2013

Yorick is going to have to do some serious damage if he is going to have no movement skills and no utility outside of one ranged slow. Xelnath are you ok with turning Yorick into a pokey version of Darius?

Xelnath

Recruiter

07-15-2013

Okay, here's the latest spin.

Q) - Used for melee combat and wave clearing, or proxy harassment via distant ghouls.
W) - Used for catching enemies and sub-tower sieging
E) - Used for escaping or catching an enemy unawares. A little bit of hard CC.

R) - Used for awesome swarmy moments.

yorick_pitch_7.jpg

cF Ten

07-15-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
Okay, here's the latest spin.

Q) - Used for melee combat and wave clearing, or proxy harassment via distant ghouls.
W) - Used for catching enemies and sub-tower sieging
E) - Used for escaping or catching an enemy unawares. A little bit of hard CC.

R) - Used for awesome swarmy moments.

Sounds like a awesome kit but I would be kinda sad to see him turned into a full blown damage AD bruiser and lose his sustain

vasheenomed

07-15-2013

I love this new iteration... I think we are really getting close it looks like it will actually be a lot of fun and choice... I hope it doesn't change too much from here... it really feels like it's starting to come together a little