Let's talk about Yorick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azizal

07-02-2013

Hey Xelnath, after watching the direction of this thread I feel like there is a few things that remain unaddressed, and I wonder what your opinions are on these -

1) The existing core fun that is currently unique to Yorick in LoL is to swarm a target with your minions and beat them down (rather than bursting them down with abilities Zed style). It currently has gameplay problems which this thread has thoroughly explored but going in a direction that removes this from Yorick effectively removes this from LoL entirely, whereas Zed, Zyra, etc already perform a lot of the other suggested gameplay. In my opinion that may be an overall net loss to LoL and I feel that the "Sejuani treatment" may be more appropriate here - making the core fun more reliable, flow better and have counterplay but retaining what was fun about the champion.
Do you think there is value in keeping the existing "swarm a target" gameplay on Yorick?

2) The old Yorick was fairly easy to play with a low barrier of entry allowing players to reach subjective mastery fairly early. Some of the new suggestions have a very high skillcap but also require a radically higher level of mechanics than the old champion, playing completely differently. Is this not an issue?

3) The Buff/Support facet of the ultimate - while the old ultimate had issues the Buff/Support nature of it is at the core of who he is now. I think your suggestion in Kit 1 did a good job of retaining that while also flowing into the rest of his kit, and strengthening the existing core fun of swarming on a target in some situations. Most of the endless march suggestions could potentially have some weird issues -
*It will often be used incorrectly as the melee champion roots himself and start channeling and the fight move somewhere else, causing bad positioning and resulting in less damage compared to just moving with the fight and using abilities/auto attacks
*Is a bit schizophrenic in a melee build, would fit a ranged caster kit better confusing his kit further.
*When are you supposed to use this in a teamfight exactly?
Is there a reason to remove the support/buff facet of his ultimate? Aren't you worried about the endless march fitting poorly into his kit?

4) Do you care about maintaining the affordance between his silhoutte and his playstyle?

Valiic Calhoun

07-02-2013

Would it be asking too much to use the DAoC Bonedancer for inspiration for Yoricks new kit? I mean I saw Xelnaths new kit idea so im sure this request is too late but I think that would be an awesome mechanic here.

ScorchedToes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
Q: Exhume: Similar to twisted fates "pick a card" Yorick chooses one of 3 ghouls, and upon landing a basic attack the ghoul is spawned ...
I like this lets you have multiple types without tieing up all your buttons, also forces yorick to pick which ghouls he has.

Azizal

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiic Calhoun View Post
Would it be asking too much to use the DAoC Bonedancer for inspiration for Yoricks new kit? I mean I saw Xelnaths new kit idea so im sure this request is too late but I think that would be an awesome mechanic here.
Oh nostalgia... 1v8ing a whole alb group in thid at 24 using water surface dipping and dat lifesteal

Kyurian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
I can, but so far every time I've tried, this thread explodes with people saying "No, he's not a necromancer and shouldn't proxy-cast spells from his ghouls. He smacks people with his shovel."

What I am hoping they really just mean "he's not a guy in cloth robes and casts spells and avoiding fighting."

It's unfortunate that people are so attached to him as a top lane bruiser. There's a far, far more rich design and gameplay space when you're not building a fat HP sack who auto-attacks.
Well technically he's a Death Knight, but we all know Death Knights are just Melee Necromancers anyway. Either way people are dumb saying he's not a necromancer when he clearly has mastery of the dead and even his own death.

Krimson62

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zain View Post
Well technically he's a Death Knight, but we all know Death Knights are just Melee Necromancers anyway. Either way people are dumb saying he's not a necromancer when he clearly has mastery of the dead and even his own death.
How were the undead you raised controlled?

Not everyone has played dark age of camelot (which im assuming is the reference)

Perhaps there would be some neat info that is useable

Greenlee19

07-02-2013

Xelnath I'd love for Yorick to turn into one of those sustain ranged tanks similar to what Vladimir is but using ghouls. It would be unique and while I'd love for his pets to be permanent idk if that's how the community feels I'll have to continue waiting for my pet champ I guess

Cryonax

07-02-2013

I have to say that I agree with the bruiser type.

When I play Yorick I don't feel like I'm playing a Necromancer type of champion, however awesome that would be. Yorick is the "Gravedigger" I imagine mostly just hitting people with my shovel. The Necromancer theme would better suit a completely different champion.

The title Gravedigger also just gives a rather brutish feel.

CarbunkleFlux

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik8ball View Post
And he can jungle right now, too. And ADC. Of course, he's much better suited to in top lane than all of these.
Only because of the meta. I don't think he's been tried to a large degree in any roles beyond bruiser top and support. He'd wreck mid, but nobody takes him there. Just the meta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magik8ball View Post
But you can see why I'm hesitant about an entire champion rework when I like him right now.
You aren't alone in this. Unfortunately, it seems the opinion, that "Yorick just might not be so absurdly, completely broken that he ruins the entire game" and the other opinion that "there might be other ways to fix his problems than to completely rip his kit apart and remake him as a completely different character" is a minority one.

Spectre06

07-02-2013

@Xelnath - Just putting this out there for consideration... concept for Yorick's ult to make both the mass zombies and resurrection fans happy. Not sure how much utility you like to see in an ult but:

The Endless March

- On self cast: Yorick opens a grave in the earth instantly summoning X ghouls in a radius around him. You can click The Endless March again to command the army to attack move towards a location.

- On ally corpse cast: Yorick resurrects his ally temporarily by restoring them to full health and giving them time to enact vengeance. The resurrection will last for up to 10 seconds. During this time, the ally can use all of their abilities.

- On enemy corpse cast: Yorick conjures a Revenant in the image of one of his enemies that will have a percentage of their max health and attack damage. The Revenant lasts for up to 10 seconds.

Simple but diverse and fits in his flavor. Now instead of just cloning Vayne, and being useless otherwise, it gives Yorick options by adding your mechanic and splitting his old ult in half. Each use would be situational but each has its own uses. It also gets rid of the bugs because the target would be already dead (and wouldn't be overpowered since any resurrection would be temporary and would require death first).

Thoughts?