Let's talk about Yorick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord of Awesome

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
This is an interesting idea in a language I can speak.

So what if Yorick was the ultralisk - his basic abilities build up a ghoul swarm. Spectral ghouls are zergling, you can have many at once, but they die easily. Green ghouls are hydras that snare. Red ghouls are tougher roachs that heal themselves when they attack.

You want to AoE down zergling ghouls, all-in kill hydras and poke roaches from range.
I'd caution against putting this on Yorick. It's an awesome idea, but I think if you were to do something like that, you might just want to make a brand new champion. Maybe a necromancer caster?

Storm Frog

07-01-2013

Quote:
Basic Theme:

Melee Bruiser who also has a lot of adds.

Attachment 721215
Looking at this kit, I think I'd play it the following way top lane:

Level Q primary.
Build Tiamat as a first major item.
Attempt to stay maxed at ~6 ghouls.
Look to combo between levels 6 and 9 with: auto attack>tiamat active>Q on the caster minions to insta-summon 3 ghouls, R>W>E the enemy, and try to all-in them with my army of ~19 hasted ghouls.
Build Bulwark to buff myself and my ghouls.
Build situational items.

That seems really interesting to me. Yorick is still a melee bruiser but he gets the opportunity to have these visceral high points where he's attacking with a large army of minions.

xImaginaryfriend

07-01-2013

As a former yorick main that new kit idea sounds like garbage, alot of his strength was already tuned out when s3 came with the ghoul speed change and doing that will completely put yorick in the trash. What exactly does that kit bring to a team to justify taking him over numerous other picks? You take away his revive gimmick(which is arguably one of his only justifications other than being a tank outside of lane) and his sustain(which will destroy any of his lane strength) and leave him as an escapeless cc-less melee pet class in a meta where everyone is picking ranged aoe and hard cc/initiate. I just don't understand why yorick is such an issue that he even deserves this kind of attention when there are actual top lane bullies that see consistent tournament play who should be looked at long before this.

d4o5i

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire Flames View Post
I would hate for you guys to change his ulti. even if he summoned 10 ghouls all you have to do is run because the ghouls ms is very low. all other changes i can deal with...

it also seems the only way to get a ghoul is by killing a minon. what happens if you kill a champion?
If the range on the ult was long enough, in the 1500-2500 range, you could circumvent the whole "they just get kited" bit by forcing the enemy either flee towards your team, or pass through the whole horde to get away. Plus don't forget E gives a movespeed increase, plus Captain boots seem like a logical choice for a more ghoul-centric Yorick.

Cyrad

07-01-2013

Quote:
Basic Theme:

Melee Bruiser who also has a lot of adds.

Attachment 721215
I don't really like this idea. It looks cool on paper, but it's very mindless. Autoattack people and just spam Q and W, and maybe E when you're not at full health. No decision making at all, except with directing his ultimate's swarm.

Levik

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szase View Post
Yorick should be a necromancer, simple as that. He currently does not fit that role well. He is a melee bruiser who sometimes has a ghoul for a few seconds. The ghouls need to be a major part of his kit, it makes more sense. I'd really prefer the caster type yorick who commands minions from a far, but it is too late for that.

The melee necromancer proposal is what I want to see with this yorick rework. The ghouls should be meaningful, it should feel bad to lose one, like with Heimer turrets. It should be the enemies goal to take out your minions to weaken you. That's the key to necromancers.
I think that Yorick would be better re-purposed as a Gravedigger and maybe Riot could release another Champion with a Necromancer theme (maybe an enemy of the Shadow Isles - I am sure the undead wouldn't take kindly to a mage that controls the undead, but this is off topic...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle the Beast View Post
I love the new kits in and of themselves. And this is coming from someone who was terrified as soon as he read there were going to be Yorick changes, because I love, love, love Yorick. The issue I have is this:

Yorick is not a "Necromancer". Necromancers are awesome characters, have precedent in the MOBA genre, and would be amazing to see in League, but that's simply not what Yorick inherently is. Certainly he summons undead, but his current kit -- as well as the first of the two new kits, which feels like a revised classic Yorick -- revolves around using the ghouls as buffs to himself. In that I feel like he actually fits really well with his core theme of GRAVEDIGGER.

This is a big rotting hulk with a shovel, and he is going to beat you with that shovel while manipulating corpses. Having him work like a self- and ally-buffing bruiser is what I identify Yorick as being. Making him summon-based is a part of this, but the flavor I come to expect from Yorick and would want preserved is this flavor, of the ghouls augmenting him and supporting his actions. I love the first kit, the one focused on buffs, for this reason.

The second kit is interesting... but it's not Yorick. It's Necromancer. I wholeheartedly approve of using a kit similar to this for an entirely new champion geared around being physically weak but commanding and army of weak but numerous summons -- I love that ult idea so much -- but not as Yorick. Yorick's not a necromancer.
I feel the same way that Yorick's kit does not feel like it matches his title of Gravedigger. Does this sound more like a Gravedigger to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levik View Post
My Proposed Kit Idea Link

Axle the Beast

07-01-2013

How about this guys. I think this would be a good balance to remove the generic issue people seem to have with the latest kit (this one):

Retool the passive a bit. Instead of last-hitting with your Q to summon a ghoul, you can last-hit with any spell. (Including auto-attacks while under the effect of E.) Which spell you hit with (Q would have priority over E) determines which ghoul you get. Passive would have cooldown so you can't spam 3 abilities to summon three ghouls just like that, but make it short enough to still farm them out.

The ghouls will function the same, but there would be the familiar three color types. Ghouls gained from Q, when crowding Yorick, give him damage reduction. Ghouls from E give him damage. Ghouls from W, due to it being able to be done from a distance and thus to still allow him to be outzoned, will grant Yorick a small movement boost.

Meanwhile his ult can either summon an even split of the varieties or summon a fourth generic kind of ghoul. In fact with the three ghoul types kept intact, it makes the ult potential fascinating, because while his abilities summon these character-like ghouls, you can make his swarm ghouls really, really scary looking, make them really feel like a mass of moving, writhing, hateful flesh.

I think this would be an excellent compromise that preserves the character of Yorick's ghouls and the flavor of his original kit, while avoiding being too strong (each type of ghoul will only give its specific buff type, not the others), and keeping the cool new ideas intact. Making it so alt+click controls the ghouls instead of directing them with the W would still be optional. Could go either way.

Thoughts?

PsychoSim

07-01-2013

I'd just like a swarm of undead. You figure out the kit, and and get the creative team to animate a terrifying amount of undead around this guy.

EvilTony

07-01-2013

Quote:
Here's a new pitch based on some of the ideas in this thread.

Basic idea: Yorick is a close-range, melee bruiser. He can use his ghouls to gain ranged damage and harass, but only by putting them at risk.

I also mocked up what it would look like when 3 ghouls were protecting Yorick defensively.

Attachment 720849\

Edit: Updated to be all physical damage, as suggested.
Looking at his kit I have a few thoughts:
1. Are his ghouls targetable while they are guarding him? If so, doesn't that mean champions like Darius with aoe attacks would have a huge advantage over him?
2. It feels like an Annie/Orianna combo for how this kit looks, lots of complex control that would make him have fun.
3. Maybe have his ultimate be like Lissandra's a bit: either self targetable or enemy targetable. The self target would add a beefy damage shield and the enemy target would be a single target one shot.

Kristari Zuboro

07-01-2013

I find it rather sad that a unique champion is going to be remade based on input from a bunch of ppl that never play Yorick. The information gathered is a complete farce and is the epitome of the continual turning of a unique roster champs into a pot of grey sludge.

I'm not sure that I believe that Xelnath has even spawned Yorick once based upon his opinions and beliefs of this champ. It's akin to stating that something needs to be done with "Karma's 'Rappel' ability... Karma flying through the air and appearing over there is OP."

Speaking of Karma...

Since you seem to have the power to change champions to make them "better", why don't you spend your 8 hours daily into making her into something worth playing? Are we fishing for work in polls because we have spare time on our hands, or are we truly looking to make a champ more enjoyable? If it's the latter, I'd say before you hang your hat and move on, you better revisit.

Sincerely,
Concerned Player