Let's talk about Yorick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
It seems like this is the major point of contention:

Is Yorick a melee fighter or a minion commander

Players who want a necromancer style of play want more ghoul commands.
Players who want a strong melee fighter want to ignore the ghouls.

Of these two categories, which one does League need more? Which one is the best "fit" for Yorick? I'll be discussing this more with coworkers tomorrow as well.
I would prefer minion commander/necromancer, but I feel like pet commands in LoL need some improvement for that to really work.

despicableMEE

07-01-2013

For the ultimate could you do something like an aoe attack that summons a tombstone which basically works like the undying's tomb stone

Yorick uncovers a tombstone that does damge/ some cc affect in an area around it/revives his 3 ghouls. The tombstone will have X amount of health/armor/magic resist, last permanantly until relocated by ulting again or until it has been killed, give X amount of gold when killed,and will summon zombis next to all nearby enemy champions in a area around the tombstone every X seconds. [maybe allied ones to for more zombie fun] up to 1/2/3 zombies. Zombies will not be able to attack towers/will get one hit by towers. will not have minon collision so no one gets stuck on them. High cd. zombies can be controlled with alt- click or r- click, acts like a ward when it comes to health immune to spells has to be autoattacked x amount of times, have a small slow effect, last for X seconds and does X amount of dmg.
To counter. Kill the tombstone between zombie intervals but watch out for yorick guarding it
This could also go along with his grave digger theme since he doesnt want any one vandalizing tombstones while he's on the job[ even if the tombstone vomits out zombies]

MinionOfCthulhu

07-01-2013

Quote:
Here's a new pitch based on some of the ideas in this thread.

Basic idea: Yorick is a close-range, melee bruiser. He can use his ghouls to gain ranged damage and harass, but only by putting them at risk.

I also mocked up what it would look like when 3 ghouls were protecting Yorick defensively.

Attachment 720849\

Edit: Updated to be all physical damage, as suggested.
I like what you're going with here, but giving Yorick a leap attack just seems weird. Dude can't even walk right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
If that's the case i feel yorick would need a full relaunch

New Skin
New Abilities
New Ghouls, but keep the old ones somehow in a classic skin form

I think the possibility of finally making him live up to his potential could also be a fun part of the lore. since obviously the shadow isles have plans for him. as shown by the twisted treeline quotes. he is supposed to be massing an army... but for what?

mind you i love yorick, he's got an awesome design, but he could be so much more
No, please no. After what they did to Trundle, I don't want to think as to how they'd ruin Yorick's look and voice.

MinionOfCthulhu

07-01-2013

Double post, whoops.

AHAM313

Recruiter

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardRex View Post
Coming from someone who used to main yorick when he came out (even when he was UP) and loved the concept of his character:

Character Design:
  • I don't think league needs another straight-up bruiser.
  • League needs a necro more, but not the typical kind (small/skinny dude with robes).
  • Yorick's concept as a gravedigger is unique and strong.
  • Yorick needs to be an anchor. An immovable object.
  • Yorick's feet should never leave the ground.

Mechanics Design:
  • You need to stop the mobility creep. Yorick should not have an instant gap closer. It's completely out of character.
  • Maybe yorick should be area-denial/anti-engage, but maybe he should also be picked against poke/seiging comps. I feel like people should have a hard time taking a tower he is at (late game).
  • I always thought Yorick should have more of a relationship with death on the battlefield. If a unit dies near Yorick, he should get a bonus. Maybe his ghouls could run on an ammo system that is replenished by units dying near him.
  • I really like the idea of rooting yourself and sending out (and controlling) hordes of ghouls. With increased defense during the root, I think this fits with yorick and is unique. Maybe the number of ghouls he can send out is based on ghoul-ammo thing. Maybe replace his mana with ghoul-ammo.
  • My craziest idea I had was his passive: When an ally dies near Yorick, their body becomes a mine. If that mine is triggered, a ghoul pops out and chases and AAs for a short time. Also grants vision.
Agree with the character design and first two and a half points of mechanics design.

Sephrinx

07-01-2013

Wow. His kit keeps getting stronger and stronger and stronger. Why not just have this.

Q - Pick
W - Yorick
E - Win
R - Game

NoMieu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Aww does that mean his ult has to go? I hope that you bring the ult back in some other champion then because I personally felt that yorick was unique because of it. Maybe there will be another shadow isle champion with his ult?

SlightlySuicidal

07-01-2013

Quote:
Here's a new pitch based on some of the ideas in this thread.

Basic idea: Yorick is a close-range, melee bruiser. He can use his ghouls to gain ranged damage and harass, but only by putting them at risk.

I also mocked up what it would look like when 3 ghouls were protecting Yorick defensively.

Attachment 720849\

Edit: Updated to be all physical damage, as suggested.
Honestly, I've never personally been a fan of the alt right click way to control a pet. It's very clunky to use. I was very happy when most of the summons in this game shifted to having a R click functionality as well.

I think the only way to remedy this is to have either Q W or E as your command ghoul ability then work it out from there. Of course, this could just be my own preference... I just really hate alt-clicking.

SlightlySuicidal

07-01-2013

Quote:
It seems like this is the major point of contention:

Is Yorick a melee fighter or a minion commander

Players who want a necromancer style of play want more ghoul commands.
Players who want a strong melee fighter want to ignore the ghouls.

Of these two categories, which one does League need more? Which one is the best "fit" for Yorick? I'll be discussing this more with coworkers tomorrow as well.
Necromancer, IMO

We have a million strong melee fighters as it is.

Nyti

07-01-2013

Quote:
It's becoming very clear that the community is very split on this issue. It's unlikely that we'll satisfy everyone, so the best call will likely be "what is the most awesome guy w/ minions" character we can make.

It's unfortunate there's not a strong sense of cohesion towards what Yorick should be, but that mostly points to the issue of Yorick not being a very clear design.
I still see he can be both in a way. It's likely that some people just don't see the bulky Yorick fitting the stereotypical Necromancer look (or find it fun to smack people with a shovel) and others want their true Necromancer while the opportunity presents itself.

He's a gravedigger, so it's not hard to see him throwing a corpse at people out of the ground and stabbing someone with his shovel at the same time. Perhaps it's best to think of it from his theme as a gravedigger and not as "the bruiser" or "the necromancer" in his case.

There are so many things you can do just thinking of his gravedigger theme, a simple idea off the top of my head is to treat the ghouls like fighting games with tag team or assists. Or his Ult being ranged where he stabs his shovel in the ground and throws up a giant cloud of dirt filled with ghouls attacking everything till the cloud dissipates or a Nami-esque looking ult where a wave of ghouls hands/upper bodies come out of the ground damaging/debuffing everyone with diseased ghouls. (Edit adding to the dirt cloud idea to give it a unique twist, what if when casted where minion corpses are still on the ground, those minions get added to his attack...)

On another note, am I the only one who thinks of Altered Beast "Rise from your grave!" when it comes to Yorick?