Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's talk about Yorick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NoGoodInGoodbye

07-01-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
This is a very interesting kit. It basically turns him into a caster/necromancer, until he casts his ultimate, in which case he becomes a very beefy bruiser. This is the opposite of R#2, where he is a bruiser who becomes a summoner/caster during his ultimate.

What are the benefits of this model?

1) It means he is vulnerable and very ghoul centric early on.
2) It means his ultimate allows him to transform into a powerful melee (ala Renekton)

What are the downsides of this model?

1) It means he's probably a midlane character now
2) It means he's dramatically punished if you are constantly mowing down his ghouls.

While I like this concept, I suspect a lot of players would find that Yorick is binary and would only lose his lane harder if he comes back from losing his lane without Omen. Thoughts?

I actually really like the concept of him being a necromancer with most of his damage being ghouls then his ult giving him a strong tanking and team-fighting ability. If he lost the ability to summon all his ghouls/do ranged poke but augmented the on hit and slows from his other skills it could give tradeoffs between ulting and not ulting.

Covaxe

07-01-2013

The passive seems like you get a random ghoul, you should have some way to choose the ghoul.

I can see Inky and Munch getting killed pretty easily and losing the passives unless you had some way of controlling them.

His ult seems way too powerful. You'll be redirecting 50% of damage onto 3 ghouls with 75% of the target's (maybe your own?) HP...that'd be the strongest shield in the game, it's weakness would be aoe abilties I suppose but still. Numbers can be tweaked of course.

If you're giving your allies the passives of your QWE as well as them absorbing some damage then that's cool but it wont be fun for Yorick players, would be nice for a support player though.

Kit 2
Passive is same as before

I don't know what the difference between a "rooting" and a "snaring" is. But assuming they're the same thing I prefer them over slows, one of my problems with Yorick is that it's really hard to catch people early. However I don't like that slows feel like they're dying in this game, it feels like every new champion has a jump that pretty much negates your slow and a snare solves that problem. But of course a snare is technically better than a slow...but I don't personally like how I imagine it'd feel on Yorick, no longer are you a hulking beast chasing down enemies.

His ult seems a lot like Victor's except the counter play of being able to kill the spirits. Also being locked down for the duration of the channel on top of the duration of the spirits life seems lame.
---
Thoughts about spawning ghouls. Maybe last hitting with auto attacks spawns a ghoul (on a cooldown probably)? Or last hitting a minion with a specific ability spawns the associated ghoul.

Ghouls are a lot like Karma. Being able to power up one of your abilities, but it seems really underwhelming in his kit, probably only having 1 ghoul at a time and the buffs aren't that great especially considering you're very likely to lose them.

An idea I had for his ult is last hitting minions spawns souls in limbo, they're like charges/stacks that you can see and are unkillable. A character in sotis (an sc2 arcade game) had an ultimate that targeted an enemy and sent all his minions (which were previously wandering around doing little to nothing) into a frenzy chasing after the enemy, if the enemy didn't run away and had no aoe to deal with them they'd surround and creep block the enemy attacking them.

Xelnath

Recruiter

07-01-2013

Quote:
Slapp Add1ct:
I would really like to see Yorick taken the bruiser route. To me at least, League can have a really great necromancer type character and Yorick isn't that character. Just from looking at him you don't see someone who summons ghosts, you see a character who bashes you with a shovel. When playing Yorick (to me) the best part of his kit is bashing someone in the face and the summoning just feels like necessary but boring gameplay.

It's becoming very clear that the community is very split on this issue. It's unlikely that we'll satisfy everyone, so the best call will likely be "what is the most awesome guy w/ minions" character we can make.

It's unfortunate there's not a strong sense of cohesion towards what Yorick should be, but that mostly points to the issue of Yorick not being a very clear design.

Grimmstone

07-01-2013

What is the fantasy of playing Yorick?
What if Yorick's ultimate fused himself to the souls of his three ghouls, becoming a lumbering, undead abomination for a short duration. Make a hell of a good tank with an ability like this.

What are the high moments of Yorick?
Using his ultimate right before dying or right before teammate dies, to have him come back and change the outcome of the battle.

What do you dislike most about playing Yorick?
Just boring gameplay mechanics. Build tear and Max E in lane, outlast opponents through poke and sustain. Boils down to just spaming Q-W-E on CD late game.

What is the most frustrating part of facing Yorick?
His sustain. You do damage to him, he'll E you and regen some that damage PLUS damaging you in the process. He can take this natural advantage early game and, if done correctly, snowball into late game.

How do you win a game against Yorick?
Shut him down early. Have the jungle gank him early on and put him behind. See if you can freeze the lane, and punish him with ranged or gap closers when he comes in for creep. The longer you delay his tear, the better off your lane is.

What do you enjoy most about facing Yorick?
It gives me practice with "hit and run": run in, get the creep (or a hit in on Yorick), and get out before he can react properly.

How does Yorick lose a game?
By being Yorick. Most players will use his ghouls abilities to last hit minions, and in doing so will push the lane further than it should be. That's where he's most vulnerable, and a good jungle can punish him for this early on. Also, he can lose a game by mismanaging his ultimate (casting it too early, too late, or on the wrong target).

FA Aokiji

07-01-2013

Xelnath Hi! I was wondering whether you've seen this post of mine (it's in this thread): (would really like to see what you think of it) (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=39272201)

Quote:
FA Aokiji:
Wall of text, blah blah - read.

The stuff that have been proposed so far are interesting, but they feel a bit lacking to execute something that Morello had talked about time ago:
Him using his ghouls in a fun and interracting way.

GenActive13

Recruiter

07-01-2013

I think the ghouls should have a "give and take" relationship with both Yorick and opposing players.
As a caster type champion, the ghouls should protect Yorick as they follow/circle him, then give up that protection when Yorick sends them out to deal damage, fight, CC or w/e. My thoughts is that his guard goes down while he is attacking, giving a player a window to trade with him. If they circle him, they can act as a shield. If they are killed Yorick would lose the CD on the ghoul that died. This way Yorick as a choice, let the ghouls take hits and shield me? Or use them to fight back but opening myself to attacks? I'd suggest that the ghouls can only be hit while circling Yorick, otherwise they are a spell effect when used. On top of that, Yorick's passive should enable the ghouls to become stronger when used every so often (how ever that may be). Yorick's ult could tie it all together by summoning a grave that rips open to reveal a fountain of ghouls. Think about a stationary spawning point that spews out a constant flow of screaming ghouls that attack which every target Yorick hit last with a skill. This flow of ghouls will change targets if Yorick uses a skill on a new target, therefor giving Yorick control of a "Legion" of undead for the duration of his ult. For those that have seen Disney's Fantasia and remember the giant demon summoning ghosts? I see Yorick's ult like that, Yorick being the conductor of ghosts that is targeted through the use of his spells.
Just my thoughts is all. With a Ult like that, it would not only be fun to use, but even to see as an opposing player. (Awesome music during this ult would be the icing on the cake and a nod towards Fantasia as well if that isn't pushing too much into the copyright laws).

Snakerot

07-01-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
It's becoming very clear that the community is very split on this issue. It's unlikely that we'll satisfy everyone, so the best call will likely be "what is the most awesome guy w/ minions" character we can make.

It's unfortunate there's not a strong sense of cohesion towards what Yorick should be, but that mostly points to the issue of Yorick not being a very clear design.

I gotta agree with Slapp Add1ct whom you quoted. I love Yorick and don't want to see him turned into a sissy that needs others to do his dirty work.

Covaxe

07-01-2013

The newest kit seems okay. You solve the problem of free harass and sustain by making his W and E avoidable and forcing Yorick to get into melee range for sustain. His ult is okay as well. If you're just trying to solve problems then I guess this works but besides being able to use ghouls as a ward it only takes away from his fun which you don't seem to think he has any of to begin with judging by your posts.

Super Explosion

07-01-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:

What about summoning minions that then summon more minions which are annoying but can be destroyed by stepping on them?

Ahhh, horror game cliches. But could be worth testing, if you want that army-of-the-dead feel potentially without being too infuriating.

(P.S. Remember the scarabs.)

doublelift fg

07-01-2013

xelnath when the rework will come,?