Let's talk about Yorick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pokeprof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
It seems like this is the major point of contention:

Is Yorick a melee fighter or a minion commander

Players who want a necromancer style of play want more ghoul commands.
Players who want a strong melee fighter want to ignore the ghouls.

Of these two categories, which one does League need more? Which one is the best "fit" for Yorick? I'll be discussing this more with coworkers tomorrow as well.
Minion Commander is needed more then a Melee fighter. We want his Ghouls to be important, a Minion commander is needed. I could care less of him as a Melee fighter (as I rarely, if EVER, go to q an Enemy if I have the choice.)

Pyranos

07-01-2013

I believe having yoric be the first micro manage champ that has to be map aware is awesome with his ghouls. I just played a yoric game to refresh me of his mechanics.

To be honest he felt a bit clunky and out of place, but overall i saw first hand what you meant as his free harass is un-fun. just my 2c

Forix

07-01-2013

I've always imagined Yorick as a necromancer who sets the corpses of enemies against them only to find more corpses rise when one is slain. In this kit Yorick still has some lane sustain (Not stupid op this time) but his teamfight presence becomes deadly for the enemy team when he has 2 charges of Corpse and unleashes his full combo. (Ghouls EVERYWHERE!)

[Passive] Corpse:

Yorick obtains a charge of Corpse every time he kills a minion/monster. (Up to a maximum of 2 stacks)
Yorick can only obtain one charge of Corpse every 30 seconds.
Yorick's Corpes will decay and will slowly decline every 15 seconds if he does not kill a minion/monster for 60 seconds.
Corpse empowers Yorick's basic abilities.
Yorick's ghouls have 15% of his maximum health and attack damage.

[Q] Unholy Spirit:
Yorick's next basic attack will deal bonus physical damage and slow the target by 20/25/30/25/40% for 2 seconds.
Empowered: A ghoul will rise out of the ground and pull in targets in the line of Yorick's basic attack dealing 10/20/30/40/50 physical damage. The ghoul will then proceed to attack the nearest enemy (Prioritizing Yorick's target and enemy champions). Consumes one charge of Corpse.
"Escape is futile."

[W] Fumes of Death:
Corpse gas explodes in the target area dealing 50/75/100/125/150 magic damage to all enemies within the blast radius and deals 10/20/30/40/50 magic damage every second to all enemies in the blast radius after the initial damage.
Empowered: A stationary ranged ghoul violently pops out of the ground in the target area fearing enemies caught in the blast radius for 0.5 seconds and dealing 10/20/30/40/50 physical damage to all enemies within the inner circle of the blast radius. Consumes one charge of Corpse.
"Surprise!"

[E] Decay:
Yorick drains the life force of all enemies around him dealing 50/75/100/125/150 magic damage over 5 seconds and healing himself for 10% of the damage dealt (20% from enemy champions).
Empowered: Untargetable ghouls torsos burst out of the ground grabbing the enemies and rooting them for 1 seconds. Consumes one charge of Corpse.
"The Shadow Isles beckon..."

[R] Apocalypse:
Yorick summons 3 large ghouls (25% of Yorick's attack damage and current health) in a target area for 15 seconds. Upon death, 2 ghouls (50% of the large ghoul's attack damage and current health) will rise out from where the large ghoul was slain. Furthermore, 2 small ghouls (50% of the ghoul's attack damage and current health) will rise out from where the ghoul was slain.
Yorick's ghouls will apply Infection to all enemies it attacks. Enemy champions who die while under Infection turn into a large ghoul. Enemy minions who die while under Infection turn into a small ghoul.
"Muahahahaha!"

Lutzburg

07-01-2013

Quote:

Of these two categories, which one does League need more? Which one is the best "fit" for Yorick? I'll be discussing this more with coworkers tomorrow as well.
I feel strongly that the initial, "wouldn't it be cool if...?" discussion for Yorick placed him in the role of a commander of the undead. Because his current incarnation fails to do that, players have resolved to finding merit and fun in the current melee fighter aspect of Yorick.

There's definitely fun to be had there, but I think Yorick has the potential to be game-changing (as you said earlier, Xelnath).

NotBuzzJack

07-01-2013

Quote:

Well league has like 30+ melee fighters, so doing something different wouldn't hurt.

magik8ball

07-01-2013

Quote:

I really enjoy the strong melee fighter that he is now. And I don't think ignoring the ghouls is quite the right way to say it. I'd say that he plays as a melee fighter with ghouls. Whereas instead of 'commanding' them, he uses them as tools to assist him beating people into the ground. This would be versus a necromancer who sits behind minions, making them do stuff for him. Yorick gets down and dirty, using his little undead mafia to help with the cleanup.

That said, I think a melee fighter is really what Yorick is. A necromancer is what some people want, and so they think that's what Yorick could be. I just feel that that sort of approach is better suited to a different champion entirely, because I really enjoy Yorick's current melee bruiser playstyle right now.

As a side note, league could use a good necromancer/minion champ. Just make a it a new champ with better thought-out abilities instead of shoe-horning an old champ into those roles. I mean, it could even be a lore tie-in with Yorick!

Warrikon

07-01-2013

A minion commander but PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THOSE MINIONS MINION BLOCK PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IT WILL MAKE ME RIP MY EYES OUT AND FEED THEM TO MY HAIR OVER THE CENTURIES THAT IT WILL STILL EXIST BECAUSE I HAVE AN AFRO

Heek

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrikon View Post
A minion commander but PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THOSE MINIONS MINION BLOCK PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IT WILL MAKE ME RIP MY EYES OUT AND FEED THEM TO MY HAIR OVER THE CENTURIES THAT IT WILL STILL EXIST BECAUSE I HAVE AN AFRO
I approve.

drzombieface

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-01-2013

Quote:
Of these two categories, which one does League need more?

Considering how many bruisers are flooding League, it definitely needs to venture into the minion commander archetype.

That said, I don't believe Yorick is the kind of champion that would just be a necromancer that sits in the back casting spells.

Being a master of death and reanimation while being a monstrous melee combatant is what drew me to Yorick in the first place.

Keeping his fighter aspect intact would be the dream, but I feel the necromancer side of Yorick should be explored more.

Just as a side note, in response to your brainstorm over the two kit re-hashes, I don't know how I feel about Yorick just having his Ghouls as constantly active companions and still being worth gold. They're extremely easy to kill, which why, I presume, they did not give gold in the first place.

Heek

07-01-2013

Ghoul Commander > Melee Fighter
imo