Let's talk about Yorick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

06-30-2013
23 of 123 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongy View Post
Xelnath, I still don't understand the impetus behind reworking Yorick (or Xerath, for that matter). He's not overpowered competitively or even in solo queue. I understand he's annoying to play against, but I wish Riot would work on champions that are frustratingly bad rather than just frustrating. Reworking worse champions actually increases the options players have, whereas reworking 'lane bully' champions will just make people play other lane bullies.

That said, I actually like Yorick's favor the way it's set up now. He's this demented gravedigger who summons ghouls, which seems like a pretty unique spot, flavor-wise.
The champions I pick to rework are prioritized based on the following factors:

* They fail to fulfill the fantasy most players have when they imagine that champion
* They have raw power that is either hidden by or tied to mechanical clunkiness
* They have the potential to bring a game-changing experience to league of legends.

Xerath was the long range caster who was outranged and given one OP spell as a crutch. Yorick is the toplane bruiser with no counterplay and no skill-based differentiation.

Both of these guys could be phenomenal, game-changing characters... or at least be more awesome to play.

Frostfire20

06-30-2013

I like Yorick for the necromancer fantasy. I love summoning ghouls to harass my enemy while I lifesteal all my health back.

One thing I don't like is how weak his ultimate is. I feel if I'm going to cast it on an ally, it should provide more damage, or a longer duration or have more health. Anything that makes me feel like giving my ally a mashed-up Zilean/Tryndamere ult was worth it instead of casting it on myself.

I like the idea of permanent caster ghouls. Perhaps they'd have on-hit effects for me like lifesteal and movement slowing effect. Or provide that ability for themselves and me when I activate them.

Overall, the main thing I don't like about him is having to build Manamune and Triforce early, then get super tanky to survive long enough to deal damage.

Other than that, I'd be really happy with him as long as his E keeps the lifesteal effect, or he retains ability/ghoul lifesteal in some way. To me, that seems to be what makes him such a solid top lane pick in ranked.

CragBlade

06-30-2013

PLEASE GIVE EACH GHOUL A DISTINCT AND LOVEABLE PERSONALITY. REFERENCE THE HECK OUT OF EVIL DEAD AND CASPER IF YOU HAVE TO.

The way I see Yorick going:

Passive: All about summoning ghouls passively by farming, autoattacking and harassing. Getting some sort of life essence that he can collect whenever he or his ghouls kill something. 3 ghouls at level 1 possible with like 12 at level 18 or something. Ghouls would be weak by themselves but buff eachother and yorick the more of them that are summoned.

Q: A normal ability that would enhance ghouls hit by it. Otherwise do damage. Q ghouls are blue and incredibly hyper and obnoxious. Their mouths run at a mile a minute.

W: A normal ability that would enhance ghouls hit by it. Otherwise do damage or provide CC. W ghouls are green and morbid and overly depressed. They can't stop complaining.

E: A normal ability that would enhance ghouls hit by it. Otherwise do damage. E ghouls are Orange and are obsessed with eating everything. They try to eat Yorick's lantern from time to time.

R: Consume all current ghouls and summon a super ghoul next to a target ally. The super ghoul gets the bonus of whichever ghoul was the most prevalent at the time (Q, W or E type) and shares part of it with the ally. You can also target an enemy with the ghoul and fear in an aoe instead.

RockJockey

06-30-2013

Hey Xelnath,

One thing you might not know is that Yorrick is one of the best Fountain Turret Divers because of how the turret reacts, it targets minions first. I have seen Yorrick kill people on top of their fountain.

Just something you might want to know.

Sincerely,
RockJockey

Byakue1

06-30-2013

Quote:
E - instant DD + lifesteal nuke
* This ability has zero counterplay and is the reason Yorick is so incredibly frustrating to play against. Worse, the ghoul only makes the experience worse if the enemy wants to fight you head-to-head.
You're joking, right? Anyone with a silence or anyone who can poke outside of 550 range counters his E.

Drukyul

06-30-2013

So much of the discussion in this thread is like "should the ghouls do X?" "should the ghouls do Y?" I think that's the wrong way to go. Xelnath was on the right track when he made the mock-up kits.

The ghouls should be individuals, with their own personalities. I'm already a fan of Inky, Stinky, and Munch, and they barely even theoretically exist! The questions we should be asking are "should Inky do X?" and "should Stinky do Y?"

I'm not saying Yorick needs to be using the Alt key to be controlling all three in some convoluted way, I just think we should try to make sure they don't come out as some sort of hive mind. Keep them separate!

magik8ball

06-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
* They fail to fulfill the fantasy most players have when they imagine that champion
I think a lot of players suffer from the fact that Yorick was hyped up and marketed to be the super awesome summoner champion that everyone wanted. He wasn't. But what he is now is a really fun, shovel-happy fantasy that I, personally, find really entertaining.
Quote:
* They have raw power that is either hidden by or tied to mechanical clunkiness
I agree, the ghouls could use a bit of a change with how they work, and his E doesn't have too much interaction. If he had a bit more counter-play without changing his theme too much, I would be happy.
Quote:
* They have the potential to bring a game-changing experience to league of legends.
But as a Yorick fan, Yorick already brings me a game-changing experience...

Lutzburg

06-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drukyul View Post
So much of the discussion in this thread is like "should the ghouls do X?" "should the ghouls do Y?" I think that's the wrong way to go. Xelnath was on the right track when he made the mock-up kits.

The ghouls should be individuals, with their own personalities. I'm already a fan of Inky, Stinky, and Munch, and they barely even theoretically exist! The questions we should be asking are "should Inky do X?" and "should Stinky do Y?"

I'm not saying Yorick needs to be using the Alt key to be controlling all three in some convoluted way, I just think we should try to make sure they don't come out as some sort of hive mind. Keep them separate!
I think that's a really good way of looking at this from an objective point of view, but unfortunately I think the lore/theme of Yorick is rightfully skewing these kit ideas into far more subjective territory. Why would an undead gravedigger who has lost all hope, whose family has long been dead for hundreds of years and wants nothing more than to reclaim the honor of his family namesake grow emotionally attached to some undead creatures?

The way I see it, this isn't Ghostbusters. Yorick summons undead minions to do his bidding, and with the infinite amount of graves he's dug over the years, he's grown incredibly indifferent to who these ghouls once were or are now. They serve their purpose and are infinitely replenishable. "When one falls, one hundred more rise up to take its place." That's the mentality I get from someone as unstable as Yorick.

coffee addict

06-30-2013

yorick is boring as hell and takes no skill to play

but, hes a strong pick in any situation so i tend to play him when i get stuck top lane because i really suck at top lane

CragBlade

06-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzburg View Post
I think that's a really good way of looking at this from an objective point of view, but unfortunately I think the lore/theme of Yorick is rightfully skewing these kit ideas into far more subjective territory. Why would an undead gravedigger who has lost all hope, whose family has long been dead for hundreds of years and wants nothing more than to reclaim the honor of his family namesake grow emotionally attached to some undead creatures?

The way I see it, this isn't Ghostbusters. Yorick summons undead minions to do his bidding, and with the infinite amount of graves he's dug over the years, he's grown incredibly indifferent to who these ghouls once were or are now. They serve their purpose and are infinitely replenishable. "When one falls, one hundred more rise up to take its place." That's the mentality I get from someone as unstable as Yorick.
Give each of the ghouls personalities that Yorick absolutely hates. Make them incredibly creepy and obedient but with rather obnoxious voice lines and mannerisms that drive Yorick crazy. He had to deal with failing his family and now he has to deal with his minions being complete idiots. The annoying minions if you will.

This would make Yorick a more fun character to play and give him and his ghouls more personality.