Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Top Solo: Shen vs. Morde Tips.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Haunting

11-24-2010

Good Day LoLers,

I'm at work and had some time to think about what I plan on doing as soon as I get home from work, play ludicrous amounts of LoL. My mind happened to wonder toward my experiences soloing Shen top. He has stupid (almost deceptively so) great lane presence. I've had no problems laning against any pair or solo champ, save for one... freakin' Morde.

I must state that when I'm not Shen I tend to be a jungler (Udyr, Olaf, WW, Yi most often). The advice I offer to others when faced with Morde is "have your jungler gank him often, he's got nothing for escape, and a creep wave worth of shield won't save him from a well time gank when he keeps the lane pushed."

As Shen... I'm not my jungler and getting support from your jungler can be dicey in a pub. What can I do to improve my personal laning against Morde? How can I convince my jungler he's an easy target?

Arkives

11-24-2010

This is basically a matter of rock/paper/scissors. Morde in the laning phase is simply a direct counter to anyone who can't harass effectively from out of his range (ie. Melee). You'd be off best switching w/ someone ranged such as morg or a good mf. As w/ the case of a jungler he should know that morde is one of the easiest champs to gank when overextended (no CC or escapes) so if you're >50% then you and your jungler can gank him with out too much trouble. You just have to wait til there's no minions around to fill his shield.

Uncas

11-24-2010

Have you tried maxing out feint first in lane rather than vorpal? If you concentrate on just last hitting with ki strike and use feint any time he harasses I would think you'd be ok. Use dash if he really pushes your tower. Maybe go regrowth + HP pot at start too?

The Haunting

11-24-2010

I have not tried maxing feint first. (I tend to go vorpal or dash first depending, pick up the one I didn't get - get Vorpal to 2, pick up Feint at 4 - then dash takes over.) It may be worth a shot. I usually start with an HP Ruby as Shen but have had success with regrowth in the past but have since switched away from it as ruby builds into so many items (counter building carries being a huge part of tanking).

I have tried last hitting with VB - difficult for anyone to stop Shen from doing, even morde while mostly turret hugging with a dash ready if he gets close enough to my turret to where a taunt would do stuff. It rarely does, Morde always has that **** shield to soak a couple turret shots.

I think, like Arkives suggests, it's just best to swap lanes with a Vlad or Morg... a ranged that can deal with Morde a bit better. You just know how pubs go... sometimes you're the only one that can take that solo lane against morde and I want to gain whatever edge I can.

Yenn

11-24-2010

Shen can jungle if you don't have someone else doing it.

Laning against Morde, just max Vorpal Blade first (as usual), but take Feint at level 2 and Dash at level 4. If you plan on laning for a long time, I would suggest getting 2-3 Feint before putting Dash past rank 1.

Otherwise Morde shouldn't be too much trouble. Just stay back/to the side so he can't hit you with Siphon and last hit with Vorpal Blade. When he uses Siphon, you can go in and last hit a minion with Ki Strike. If he looks like he's going to Siphon you, just intercept it with Feint to absorb most of the damage.

Don't even bother trying to kill him unless your jungle is 100% sure it knows how to gank him successfully (chances of this are slim).

Shen isn't a good match up for Morde, though.

RagnatheBloodedg

11-24-2010

I agree with Yenn, though I have been mocked, laughed at and frowned upon for jungling as shen. However, I say that you should get all three abilities 1-3, since no matter what champ you are they are viable in given situations. As far as leveling after that, it really depends the level of skill of your opponent. Unfortunately, as Yenn states, shen is not a good match for morde. I've seen some morde's be very aggressive, and others not so much, it really depends on their preference and how much they can read your own play style.

Aemon Darkstar

11-25-2010

Wow, Shen and Udyr? I feel like you're my bro, bro.

Anyways, I had the distinct misfortune of facing an exact same scenario as you. My on-the-fly adjustment to it was this: I stayed close to my turret, last hit with a high level Vorpal or the occasional Ki strike after Morde's siphon, and simply predicted his siphoning to time my Feint. If I took too much damage, I vorpal-healed on enemy minions closest to my tower. It worked for almost the whole laning phase, but I'll admit my tower was in rather bad shape afterwards. The jungler finally did get him though, with my help.
Might I add, I was using Doran's Shield. It has 66% of the bonus HP of Ruby crystal, and decent health regen. Works good in most scenarios.

4kk1

11-25-2010

Shen is a bad champ to lane against Morde. 99% of Mordekaisers cannot but push, due to their abilities. And Shen just can't harass or counter-push enough. Shen will probably not have to go back to base because of Feint+Vorpal, but there will always be some tower damage per creep wave.
IMO you have these options (have been mentioned already):
1) Switch lanes with someone. Shen is also more useful in a duo lane.
2) Get your jungler to gank and kill him. This is very doable because of Shadow Dash.
3) If you have no jungler, do it yourself. With Shen I clear my side of the jungle at 4:30 and (after shopping) can gank a lane at around 5:00 with red buff up.

ZehNetoBR

11-25-2010

As long as you don't go agressive, you'll be fine. I did a Morde VS Shen mid lane the other day and I easily farmed 3 kills agaisnt right on early game, simply because the other player couldn't hold on his own. All I had to do was to harass and do some diving in the proper moments and BLAM, he was dead. After a few deaths, he left the game.

People tend to think that Shen, being a flippin' ninja, is a natural killer, like Akali. Shen's strength doesn't lie in 1v1, direct contact, initiated-by-him fights. He's more of a tanker/supporter, so he's more of an ambusher/teamfighter. If you gotta do it 1v1, be a deceiver...do to your opponent what I did to that poor Shen

PwnSword

11-25-2010

The trick with morde is timing, focus on vorpal, w point feint, 1 point taunt, wait untill the creep wave is small and he uses his aoe nuke, then go in with feint, ki strike vorpal, then retreat, as long as u r damaging him past his shield u will whittle him down, I take armor pen marks, and also I spec 11 offense, haste, armor pen, 6 in def for extra armor and mr, and rest in util, u can also jungle with this build, just pop in smite.