Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tips to playing ranged carries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

11-24-2010

I am not generally a ranged carry player, so I found this information helpful when trying to carry my team - typically unsuccessfully because I forget one of the below:

#1 Make sure you get red lizard buff - Do what you need to to, communicate with your team, and try to not engage in a team fight until you can get it.

#2 Give your team 1 or 2 attack range distances when roaming for a teamfight to assure you can be the last one focused. Never Initiate, unless you are able to safely poke/bait.

#3 Going with the above, it is always good entering a teamfight from another angle to throw off the tanks and make it hard for them to interfere with you dps'ing their team.

#4 Depending on how far you are with items, a Green pot is generally better than a red pot. Especially after Infinity Edge

#5 The Ranged Carry build is always the same, for almost every carry: 3x Doran's Blades and Mercury Treads (Greaves if they lack CC and your team has good CC), and then Infinity Edge, and then Last Whisperer, and then BloodThirster - Red and Green Pots when you can.

#6 Try to be there for every team-fight, you are the carry and your damage is relied on.

#7 As a ranged carry you should have a solo lane. if you are on a solo or duo lane, just make sure you can handle your matchup, as it is very important to be-able to last hit in your lane, so you don't want it to be very one-sided (IE - Pantheon, Malphite)

In 4 days, I've gone from 1720 rating in solo queue, to 1580. A lot of it has to do with bad match-ups and teammates that rather afk/fed/trashtalk/or that just have all round bad play mechanics then win. I just went through a game with a malphite that was carrying, because he would initiate every fight from the back, avoid ulting or targeting the 3 tanks focusing on the range carry, let everyone die, then mop up the tanks with sunfire snare. We lost the game because their carries were getting kills while ours would immediately die because there was no CC. Bringing me to the final #8:

#8 Try to get your team to support your play, even if you have to explain their roles to them in a teamfight. You need them to CC anyone that goes for you, and you need to try your best to avoid their tanks dps.

Good luck out there, I hope you don't tank your ratings like I have.

zors

Recruiter

11-25-2010

Good advice.

omgwtflolbbl

11-25-2010

Might be good to specify with the pots a little more. A red pot early on (before IE) is for early game dominance or an early game boost, but you really have to make it worth it. You can use one either to play catch up when a Doran's Blade won't cut it or you can try to use one to establish a really strong footing in a lane, maybe if you feel a little bit out for blood. Once you've picked up on a lot of damage (meaning IE), green pots will do much more for your dps, especially given IE's passive and the green pot crit chance. IE, Last Whisper or Starks, christmas pots, and red buff is really all you need to become an insanely dangerous force in most cases.

Also, Phantom Dancers. Avoid these early game. These are at best end game luxury items. They have some nice stats, but they charge you a very, very large sum for them and it really isn't worth it early game. As fun as it is zooming around at 600 MS, it doesn't really matter how fast you attack when each of those attacks is somewhat like getting hit with a pillow.

Load up on damage first, attack speed second.

imhuge

11-25-2010

make sure to avoid hitting the guy with Randuin's/Warden's cause the slow is nasty

since ranged carries are so farm dependent, learn the relative distance you can cross to help an ally [getting ganked] so you can assess whether you can actually help or not; if you can't, you end up wasting time and losing minion kills

FckMan

Recruiter

11-25-2010

hard to avoid the guy with omen if he's malphite because he wants to have a chat with you regardless of the effort you put in to avoid him.

Eppa

11-25-2010

#9 Don't forget to farm- Gold wins games?

viscrom

11-25-2010

How in the world can you recommend 3x doran's blades instead of brutalizer?

The other items seem pretty decent though. I typically do:
Long sword+pot (or doran's shield) -> brutalizer -> boots -> last whisper -> merc's or swiftness upgrade (generally after the BF component, but it varies) -> IF -> Bloodthirster on Ashe

I wouldn't use the same layout on Tristana though. I don't play her enough to know the perfect build but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get last whisper unless they had a lot of tanks. I'd probably opt for a cleaver instead and likely build it after IF. I remember a few games where I tried a clone of Ashe's build and it was kind of lackluster.

omgwtflolbbl

11-25-2010

You get multiple Doran's Blades because it makes you meaty as heck and gives you excellent early game stats. For 3 Doran's Blades (1305), you get about 800 gold in damage, a Vampp Scepter (450), and most importantly, 360 HP (or two Ruby Crystals worth, for 950 worth in gold). Even if you play a squishy champion, it makes you incredibly hard to gank as you're probably tankier than most tanks at that point. The stacked 12% lifesteal also gives you some excellent lane staying power.

I personally don't like stacking Doran's items, but people do it for a reason. They are extremely gold efficient even if they are dead end items.

viscrom

11-25-2010

Maybe things changed since I last played about 4 months but brutalizer is just awesome early on. Say on your first trip back at level 5 or 6 if you're mid. Plus if you have nice farm or the game goes on for a long time you can upgrade it to Youmuu's which is a nice addition to any ranged DPS once you have your core set of AD items.

GothamKnight

11-25-2010

item builds depend heavily on what your playing against and how fast the tempo of the game is, the only thing that i always get would be at least one BF sword which then get upgraded for my main damage item, anything else is usually modular and the order is also dependent on how the game is progressing

also, be very careful not to build to survive in your laning phase only to end up with horrible phys attack stats for mid to late game.