New Player from HoN

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slurpieee

06-24-2013

I'm not here to discuss which game is better or anything like that. I am not choosing LoL over HoN and simply want to figure out some things about this game.

Some background info:
I play at a high bracket in HoN, I am not sure the equivalence to LoL because I am still lvl 19 in LoL and don't know much about ranked. I'm not saying this to brag, but merely to establish that I am an experienced player and have been playing HoN for nearly 4 years.

Now, some things I have noticed about LoL that I need cleared up so that I can become a better player:
Is there no disjointing in this game? - For those who are unfamiliar, disjointing is using a spell, item, ability, to evade other spells, items, even auto attacks. I constantly use my flash out of reflex to dodge things, only to be followed by auto attacks?

Is there no practice mode where all the heroes are available? - I have noticed it is really hard to keep track of the 100+ heroes when you only see a few different ones a week. Therefore when someone plays as lets say Teemo and he is not offered on the free to play for the week, I still have no idea what that hero does because the heroes change so much and it is easy to get confused etc. etc. I just want to learn each heroes mechanics and get a feel for them other than some videos showing each skill. Showing a skill and using a skill are two different things.

Is there a way to auto-level abilities? - When I play a free hero of the week, I find myself googling builds because I have no idea what to max first or even if the guide i'm using is pro or some noob build.

Is there a laning phase? - When I play support and my carry has a safe lane and free farm, I leave. That's how I play HoN. I find myself getting yelled at for roaming, but then I look at the timer and it's like 19 mins into the game, seriously? Laning phase all game or what?

Is a jungler required to win?

In ranked games do teams kill dragon/baron more? - People hardly kill it at the level i'm at.

Why do I have to wait to get runes/masteries/skills? - I feel gimped and this is the main thing holding me from playing this game. Can someone explain the philosophy behind making an uneven playing field?

And as an added note I dislike not having the ability to deny towers and creeps or being able to port to towers without having to use an ability slot for teleport. I guess I lied a little bit about making this which game is better... Hahahah bushes are cool though I will give u that.

TLDR: LoL is pretty dope, but I want the fast track to next level play.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2013

No, there is no disjointing, once that spell, attack or whatever is flying through the air, it is going to hit. There are however certain characters with spells that utterly null out a spell. Champions such as Sivir and Nocturne have spell shields that literally block ONE spell before going on CD. Pantheon's passive allows him to ignore ONE autoattack everytime it is up. However, the damage isn't calculated UNTIL it lands on you. So in theory, if a spell is flying towards you and you are able to make it back to spawn fountain while it is still flying through the air, you will outheal the damage...maybe.

No, there isn't. However, if you are able to make an account on the PBE(Public Beta Environment) server, you will have access to all the champions and skins as well as early access to champions not yet released on the normal servers.

No, there isn't a way to auto level abilties without the use of a 3rd party program. Feel free to ask Riot through a support ticket whether or not that is legal though because there is a MASSIVE grey area when it comes to those things.

Yes, there is a laning phase, and unlike HoN, laning phases normally last for about 20 to 25 minutes. It normally isn't the best idea to leave a lane to roam unless A. you can secure ganks incredibly well with the CC(crowd control) your champion can put out before quickly getting back bot, or B. your ADC is winning so hard, they can 2 vs 1. If you leave your lane early, you run the risk of them getting overwhelmed by the 2 vs 1 power, even if the support doesn't buy damage items, their bases + their CC is normally more then most can handle.

At your level, no, it isn't required. Hell, you might get lucky and even in higher levels win without the use of a jungler, HOWEVER they do provide an incredibly large boon to your team able to gank failing lanes or gank lanes and help them snowball even further ahead. They can also help clear objectives faster with the use of smite.

Yes, in ranked, people normally tend to get dragon and baron more. It gives a large amount of gold, with baron giving a team buff that can sway fights either way. However do not feel as if you HAVE to get dragon or baron, they are there to take if you have a chance to, and having all five of your people die just to get one drag normally isn't worth it.

When it comes to runes, honestly, tier 1 and 2 are useless. They give so little stats that they won't give you TOO much more of an advantage early. Wait until tier 3 runes at level 20 and up to buy them. The reason they don't give you full access to all the skills and masteries is because they want to ease you into the game and let you understand each one carefully. Most people don't have extentive MOBA training in other games, hell, had I been given all those spells/masteries when I started, I would likely have been confused too.

Fair enough, to each there own and I hope this post helps.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

06-25-2013

The only way to disjoint a projectile is to become untargetable. Fizz, Elise, Vladimir, and Lissandra can do this, or anyone with a Zhonya's Hourglass.

Feni007

06-25-2013

One thing I had a hard time getting use to was Blitz being a support. Pudge or Dev supporting a carry would pretty much mean the other team has already won. But Blitz is a different story.

DarthReckoner

06-25-2013

Is there no disjointing in this game? Auto-attacks can't be dodged (with the rare exception of champions who can become untargetable, or hitting your zhonya's active). Skill shot spells however can be dodged, and champs like Ezreal and Kassadin who have flash spells excel at this.

Is there no practice mode where all the heroes are available? No there is not. Best you can do is play as many free champs as you can each week.

Is there a way to auto-level abilities? - No there is not. You have to choose what to level.

Is there a laning phase? Absolutely. The roaming support used to be THE way to play in the early days of LoL, but now it's norm to stick with your ADC in the laning phase (which by the way should NOT be lasting 20-25 minutes). Once you take down the outer turret in your lane, it's probably a good idea to start roaming (with the ADC) to take down other turrets or objectives.

Is a jungler required to win? At your level, no. Duo lanes top and bot are the norm (need those Tier 3 runes to jungle effectively). In ranked play....debatable; depends on the rank but you aren't going to see many ranked teams without a jungler. At higher levels of play absolutely required.

In ranked games do teams kill dragon/baron more? In ranked play, yes, dragon and baron control becomes very important to winning games. But often times (in sub level 30 games) teams are so lopsidedly matched that one team can steamroll the other without a dragon or baron ever being taken. A lot of low level players don't realize how important dragon/baron/blue & red buff are to the game.

Why do I have to wait to get runes/masteries/skills? I have no idea, but its the same for everyone. Unfortunately level 19 is the worst because you don't have runes but many of your opponents will. Don't worry too much though, by the time you read this you could be level 20

KakitaMike

06-25-2013

I'm waiting on t3 runes till 21 as well, but I've read that some people buy tier 1 runes and just skip tier 2. The prices are negligible and replacing with tier 3 is like going from 50% to 100% rather than 0% to 100%.

I've noticed in casual play there doesn't seem to be much dragon/baron killing, or warding. But I see it in a lot of the ranked matches I watch

Feni007

06-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthReckoner View Post
Is a jungler required to win?[/B] At your level, no. Duo lanes top and bot are the norm (need those Tier 3 runes to jungle effectively).
What runes does a jungler require exactly? I've just taken the safe road for now and done all armor/magic armor and I only jungle on Sejuani so far.

DarthReckoner

06-25-2013

Depends on the champ but...armor yellows and magic resists blues are pretty common across the board and are practically good on any champion in any role. Appropriate quints and reds vary (based on champion) between attack speed, attack damage (ability power for AP champs), life steal,and movement speed.

The Scyphozoa

06-25-2013

On "disjointing": You need to learn which skills are targeted skills and which are skillshots. Targeted skills will follow you if you try to dodge, but can be avoided by becoming untargetable. Skillshots don't follow you. Some travel in a straight line, some in a cone, some like Sivir's Q can be steered while in flight, but they can all be dodged.

Learn to recognize them. If you see a sharp rock rolling at you, just keep doing what you were doing and take it. If you see an enormous blue arrow flying from the other end of the lane, dodge that ****.

viewtyjoe

06-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakitaMike View Post
I've noticed in casual play there doesn't seem to be much dragon/baron killing, or warding. But I see it in a lot of the ranked matches I watch
Dragon/Baron kills and fighting over them start stepping up significantly once you hit levels where you have junglers who are consistent and solid at what they do. Warding also increases as you approach 30.

Basically, Dragon/Baron are extra things to focus on for newer players, and you can easily play an entire game without even thinking about them. As you level and become more accustomed to the game, it starts making more sense to think about the value of going for dragon or baron. Wards are pretty similar.