Normal vs ARAM, which takes more skill?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luvatar

06-24-2013

Having played both extensively, I can tell you there are many different skills that can be developed in both games.

- ARAM teaches you to read team comps much better. Teamfights are going off very frequently whereas in SR there might only be one before the game ends.
- ARAM takes a better understanding of itemization, and counter-itemization than regular SR. Gold values are pretty much equal, and teamcomps are not ideal. Sometimes you might be called to do something ridiculous like tank Teemo or AD Annie just because your team needs it. Members that can't adapt usually don't fare well in ARAM.
- ARAM, above else, teaches you to dodge.

- SR on the other hand teaches you more about map awareness and objective control.

In my honest opinion, knowing how to judge a team and build accordingly is a much more difficult skill than map awareness and objective control, altho less important.

Azkaellon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urf Mode View Post
Personally I find Dominion as an easier way to learn how to properly team fight or know what to do with your champion late game.

However, playing ARAMs helps too but it's much more cramped and some teams are going to have inate advantages that are just entirely based on the amount of poke they have.

ARAM suffers more from balance issues than any other available mode, but being able to pull off kills on champs that have no poke is something you can learn from ARAM. Looking for openings knowing when to go in, personally though I'd advise people to play Dominion over ARAM if they actually wanted to learn anything. I play ARAMs though mainly to increase my knowledge of Champions and incorporate different play styles.
I mentioned Dominion and that it probably takes more skill, but he was all "DON'T YOU DARE COMPARE SH*TTY DOMINION TO ARAM". Knowledge of champions is found more in normal though...in depth I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvatar View Post
Having played both extensively, I can tell you there are many different skills that can be developed in both games.

- ARAM teaches you to read team comps much better. Teamfights are going off very frequently whereas in SR there might only be one before the game ends.
- ARAM takes a better understanding of itemization, and counter-itemization than regular SR. Gold values are pretty much equal, and teamcomps are not ideal. Sometimes you might be called to do something ridiculous like tank Teemo or AD Annie just because your team needs it. Members that can't adapt usually don't fare well in ARAM.
- ARAM, above else, teaches you to dodge.

- SR on the other hand teaches you more about map awareness and objective control.

In my honest opinion, knowing how to judge a team and build accordingly is a much more difficult skill than map awareness and objective control, altho less important.
I mean...I'm confident any decent LoL player understands how to itemize against different opponents - and by extension understand at least rudimentary team comps. I can't dispute the dodging lessons given in ARAM, but those can be found also in normal (though much smaller and less frequent)

PigCheese

06-24-2013

I think ARAMS has helped me with itemization a bit. I was agaisnt a ton of adp casters and pokers and our team was all mellee. We were having a hard time cause we couldn;t seige if more then 2 people where alive without blowing up. So on warwick I bought magic resist and stacked health and got my team to not try and beat them in poking but just all-inning them. We almost lost but we got mega strong in the end and made a comeback.

So ya I think there's some things to be learned from ARAMS and there's prob some things to be learned from Normal rift games just like LoL and Dota and how they are differnt so are the styles and what you learn different with these two game types i'm sure of it even if I don;t know what all you would learn differently. But this game is made for fun so if you can only find fun in playing ARAMS play that getting good at the game doesn't matter if you can;t have fun so play whatever you like the best and if you want to be good at rift specifiacally to get high elo then I would say play Rift and i'm not sure if ARAMS would help you much after a certain point when you get better but it's fun so theres no reason to not play it some anything else I think would be mere speculation that no one could prove on whether you learn more here or there,

Azkaellon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigCheese View Post
I think ARAMS has helped me with itemization a bit. I was agaisnt a ton of adp casters and pokers and our team was all mellee. We were having a hard time cause we couldn;t seige if more then 2 people where alive without blowing up. So on warwick I bought magic resist and stacked health and got my team to not try and beat them in poking but just all-inning them. We almost lost but we got mega strong in the end and made a comeback.

So ya I think there's some things to be learned from ARAMS and there's prob some things to be learned from Normal rift games just like LoL and Dota and how they are differnt so are the styles and what you learn different with these two game types i'm sure of it even if I don;t know what all you would learn differently. But this game is made for fun so if you can only find fun in playing ARAMS play that getting good at the game doesn't matter if you can;t have fun so play whatever you like the best and if you want to be good at rift specifiacally to get high elo then I would say play Rift and i'm not sure if ARAMS would help you much after a certain point when you get better but it's fun so theres no reason to not play it some anything else I think would be mere speculation that no one could prove on whether you learn more here or there,
I mean, I play ARAM so I don't have to try...I feel like that's what ARAM was made for. Itemization I just learned it from facing various champs in normal. Also WW and spirit visage is godly...and seems really straightforward.

Valkaire

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twettar View Post
You're right, your friend is wrong.
Upvoted for using you're and your correctly. One in a million bud.

On topic: ARAM requires the skill to dodge ****, which a lot of people lack. Smaller area to dodge in = higher chance of getting hit. Not as hard to dodge on SR imo.

Renessie

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieinpeace1 View Post
depends on your skills you're looking at. Normals are better for everything but teamfight and learning how to carry a team. If you want to improve your team fighting and learn how to carry a team is basically any form you should be playing ARAM's.

if you want to learn game mechanics, Sure you could play normals. But those are pretty easy to pick up and to be honest watching tournaments is a much easier way to learn those things.
I actually don't consider ARAM as a better method of learning how to team fight, because ARAM lacks the potential for exceptional plays. You can't rely on map control/map awareness to approach from different ends, catch people, or obtain objectives. There's only one strategy: kill & push. Whereas in Normal, you actually have to consider other objectives, other lanes and other potential strategies (e.g..should I baron or take a turret?).

Moreover, if you consider team play as a whole, ARAM forces your team mates to be close to you - this means if you mess up, your team mates are closer & more capable of helping you (or at least getting a kill in return for your death). However, if you have a larger map, your team has the option of wandering and leaving - if you're top lane and your team is mid, no one's coming to save you. Larger map requires more travel time, and will then involve thinking ahead for positioning. In other words, a smaller map forces slightly better team coordination because it prevents your team from going for different objectives and splitting up. There's only one lane. Comparatively, playing an ARAM game in Howling Abyss would therefore be easier than playing a custom ARAM game in Summoner's Rift simply because players could roam in SR.

Renessie

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkaire View Post
Upvoted for using you're and your correctly. One in a million bud.

On topic: ARAM requires the skill to dodge ****, which a lot of people lack. Smaller area to dodge in = higher chance of getting hit. Not as hard to dodge on SR imo.
But harder to dodge also means less aim is required to hit someone if you're the aggressive one. So it sorta evens out. Harder to dodge; but harder to miss.

Valkaire

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renessie View Post
But harder to dodge also means less aim is required to hit someone if you're the aggressive one. So it sorta evens out. Harder to dodge; but harder to miss.
True, but you'd be surprised how many Nidalee, Lux, Varus, etc. players I see on arams that couldn't hit a target if they were in melee range.

Divey McDiverson

06-25-2013

ARAM takes 0 skill.

Renessie

06-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkaire View Post
True, but you'd be surprised how many Nidalee, Lux, Varus, etc. players I see on arams that couldn't hit a target if they were in melee range.
Yea, but then that's merely a lack of skill - if they can't land a Lux laser in ARAM, they're probably even less likely to land one in norms...