Aatrox feedback and analysis.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2013

Hey folks,

This is my take on Aatrox's balance at the moment. I play him mostly in Mid lane.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Most prized build :

Blade of the Ruined King
Mercs/Tabis
Randuin's Omen
Youmuu's Ghostblade/Black Cleaver
Spirit Visage
Last Whisper/IE

Most used Runes : Flat AD Quints/Marks, Armor Seals, MR/Lvl Glyphs.
Most used Masteries : 19/11/0

Summoner's Spells : Ignite/Flash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Analysis

Aatrox's design allows him to dominate the laning phase easily. He can port that earned power to mid game if he managed to get fed enough (i'd say a good 2k over his opponent minimum), but that's it. No matter how fed he can be, it's extremely hard to actually do anything in the mid-late phase of the game. I like the fact that you have to regulate your Health Costs to optimize your power, but I don't feel this part of his kit is defined well enough. Let's go skill by skill with him :

Blood Well (Passive) : 5.5/10

Overall, the passive makes him unique, it provides a mind game where you need to use your build in a certain way to have more power. This is fun, and is a good design.

The actual potential of this passive is great. The thing that holds it down so much is the fact that Aatrox dies SO easily. It also fills too fast at my taste.

Dark Flight (Q) : 2/10

I'll start by saying this : OMG THIS SPELL IS BUGGED.

*ahem* The spell design itself is decent. It helps Aatrox makes clutch plays/escapes. However, it LOOKS like an initiation spell, which is awkward because you don't WANT to use it for initiating. Not only does it have an hefty blood price, it also has a very short knock-up radius, the damage isn't anything amazing, and the whole cancellable Channeling/Animation is very frustrating.

Blood Thirst/Price (W) : 8/10

Now this spell, mainly the two-part design of it, makes it really interesting and fun. It meshes well with the rest of its kit, but could use some number tweaks, especially on the Blood Price part.

Blades of Torment (E) : 7/10

Besides the visual cluster**** that makes it really confusing to read the spell, it is actually decent. It helps you ravage people with the slow, it enables you to farm from a distance, poke ability, finish move, etc. It doesn't scale that well though.

Massacre (R) : 7.5/10

I know that it's hard to notice the real strength of a self buff spell, but I feel like the advantages given by Massacre are not to be taken lightly. Once again though, it's a good spell ruined by a freaking AP ratio that is coming out of nowhere. But dude, check out my shiny Hybrid Aatrox, fresh out of the wash JUST NO !
-------------------------------------

In Brief

Pros:
  • Good laning phase
  • Can farm extremely well
  • Great sustain potency
  • Escape/Gap Closer
  • Poking ability (which is a first for Melee Carries)

Cons:
  • Horrible Late game (and that's a HUGE con)
  • Q is bugged as hell and not super useful
  • Non-intuitive itemization

Bug list
  • Q will sometimes fail to do any damage
  • Q will sometimes fail to do any damage in the smaller circle
  • Q will sometimes fail to knock-up
  • E's damage seem to go a bit further than the animation

Suggestions
  • Reduce Dark Flight's Health Cost to 5% from 10%.
  • Remove the bonus AD ratio on Blood Price's self damage.
  • Adjust Blood Price's self Damage to 20/35/50/65/80 from 15/23.75/32.5/41.25/50
  • Increase Blood Thirst's bonus AD ratio on the Healing part to 0,3 from 0,25.
  • Fix Blades of Torment's particle so we can better see the actual damage pathway (better readability)
  • Add a 0,25 Blood Ratio to Massacre's Damage.

Explanations :

1) The spell has everything for it to be an initiation spell (gap closer + CC). However, the cost is so high that you don't really want to lose minimum 200 HP in the later game for a meager chance to actually knock up more than 2 people. It will also slow down the filling of Blood Well, which is also intended because I feel it's too easy to fill it up. I'll come back on that part later on.

2-3) That self-inflicting increasing damage when you buy more damage is kind of awkward. Yes it fills your Blood Well faster, but is it worth the punishment ? Those adjustments should do to at least make that part feel better.

4) I think the whole drama about Aatrox being able to heal TOO much was heavily exaggerated. Against remotely decent opponents, you won't be able to stick on someone forever and leech HP endlessly.

5) QoL

6) Adding to the need to keep the Blood Well as filled as possible. Will add about 200 damage with maxed Well. Which should allow him to at least play the "kamikaze" type of play more efficiently.

Final Words :

Thanks for making it here if you read all that. Feel free to leave your comments.

Follow me on my stream (diamond tier)

Also follow updates on my balance thread/leave your comments : http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2422094

Also check my insights on some other Champions :
And keep your eyes open for future content !

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2013

fixed the formatting --- should be readable now

Kelitzar

06-24-2013

Rather than playing him as a caster type champion, I think he should be played by relying on his auto attacks and build tanky with a lot of life steal.

Wyl

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelitzar View Post
Rather than playing him as a caster type champion, I think he should be played by relying on his auto attacks and build tanky with a lot of life steal.
That's how I usually build him. However, you kind of will play as a caster type Champion for the laning phase.

Dzanio

06-24-2013

Note that if you play him as a jungler or simply roam a lot your issue w/ his q (the cost, not the bugs) is irrelevant.

EDIT: the heal amount below 50% hp is rediculous. Base it's pretty balanced.

Wyl

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzanio View Post
Note that if you play him as a jungler or simply roam a lot your issue w/ his q (the cost, not the bugs) is irrelevant.

EDIT: the heal amount below 50% hp is rediculous. Base it's pretty balanced.
Roaming and jungling are part of the early - mid game, Q is an issue in the late game.

Dzanio

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyl View Post
Roaming and jungling are part of the early - mid game, Q is an issue in the late game.
In the late game I'd assume you'd transition into an assassin style of gameplay since his game favors an AD heavy build rather than the traditional bruiser route (unlike trynd/shaco his ultimate does not provide utility in team fights, so you'd be reduced to poking w/ e and waiting to catch someone out of position). Honestly he's just Kha'Zix without the stealth and on kill/assist reset for the jump and redistributed damage threats.

Basically in picking him over Kha you're gambling you can carry early and won't have to make the big plays late.

LoudFootSteps

06-24-2013

Wait a minute...

People aren't buying Guardian Angel?

Wyl

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudFootSteps View Post
Wait a minute...

People aren't buying Guardian Angel?
He has a built-in GA, you need more damage in the end to scale with his immense attack speed boosts (the range boost on his ult is also pretty neat) to therefore abuse of his sustain/dmg boost

Wyl

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzanio View Post
In the late game I'd assume you'd transition into an assassin style of gameplay since his game favors an AD heavy build rather than the traditional bruiser route (unlike trynd/shaco his ultimate does not provide utility in team fights, so you'd be reduced to poking w/ e and waiting to catch someone out of position). Honestly he's just Kha'Zix without the stealth and on kill/assist reset for the jump and redistributed damage threats.

Basically in picking him over Kha you're gambling you can carry early and won't have to make the big plays late.
Except that he can't carry late game, no matter how much he's fed early. He's just too easy to take down, and his poking ability (E) doesn't scale hard enough to make it for that. Basically you'll want to rush their AP or their ADC, but everyone will collapse on you and since you don't have a significant BURST, you won't be able to take down the target fast enough to justify buying mostly damage. On the other hand, if you build tankier, you can't justify picking this Champion over another.