Riot Points through Amazon: Why such a bad deal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raptearer

Recruiter

06-23-2013

Whats with the RP cards Riot is selling through Amazon? They're ridiculously overpriced for what they're worth ($17.99 for a $10? Why?). Are there any plans by Riot to bring them down in price on Amazon anytime soon? I just recently got a $20 giftcard to there, and I really wanted to use it to buy some RP, but those prices are just insane

Edit: Why the downvotes? I'm making a reasonable observation. If other gift cards can be sold at regular price, why can't RP cards?

Janna F Kennedy

06-23-2013

The more people you go through to get the points, the more it is going to cost. That's why it's always cheaper to buy from the source, not a middleman.

Vicvictorw

06-23-2013

Interesting logic.

Why use my credit card to buy RP ingame when I can use my credit card to buy RP on Amazon?!

Knight Magenta

06-23-2013

Because the chain in-game is (you > CC company > Riot) The chain with amazon is (You > CC company > Amazon > Bank > Riot)

Everyone gets a cut of the pie.

Raptearer

Recruiter

06-23-2013

But those same steps would apply to Microsoft and Sony when you buy their points/add funds to your card through Amazon. Yet they cost the same price they do in store

Raptearer

Recruiter

06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janna F Kennedy View Post
The more people you go through to get the points, the more it is going to cost. That's why it's always cheaper to buy from the source, not a middleman.
But then buying them from Gamestop, Target, etc, would also cost more, yet it doesn't (just as many steps there). The benefit of buying through the ingame store is that you get bonus rp when you buy.

Tetramaster

06-23-2013

Riot has cut deals with places such as Gamestop, etc that see them buy them at bulk for lower prices.

Amazon does not have such a deal iirc. Hence the jacked up cost.

Raptearer

Recruiter

06-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetramaster View Post
Riot has cut deals with places such as Gamestop, etc that see them buy them at bulk for lower prices.

Amazon does not have such a deal iirc. Hence the jacked up cost.
Ah, ok. That's really unfortunate

Raptearer

Recruiter

06-24-2013

However, I hope that they can make a deal like they have with Gamestop and other retailers. I get a lot of gift cards for Amazon, so it'd make things a lot easier when buying RP

Menea6587

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptearer View Post
But then buying them from Gamestop, Target, etc, would also cost more, yet it doesn't (just as many steps there). The benefit of buying through the ingame store is that you get bonus rp when you buy.
You get bonus when you buy the cards, too.
Anyway, it's not too difficult to imagine that Riot sells cards cheaper to the middle man than to us and has a contract to keep them at the same price they sell online points after at least 1 link in the chain.

Cards are a very large source of income for them, but credit cards just more. It's why JaGEx and Blizzard went out of their way to keep credit cards up even though they still had game cards selling quite well.

More demand for credit cards = higher price for you
less demand for game cards + middle man = same net price as above