PSA: Do Not Pin League of Legends to the Dock

First Riot Post
12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

06-20-2013
1 of 9 Riot Posts

Public Service Announcement:
Do NOT pin League of Legends to your dock. The game will fail to launch after any patch to the launcher.

Repeat After Me:
I will not pin LoL on the Dock
I will not pin it on my sock
I will not pin the old LoL Launcher
Of this I could not be any stauncher
I will not pin the LoL Client
Heaven forbid I pin the game-game
that would just be lame-lame
If I wish to be compliant
For if I do my LoL will break
Because my shortcut will be a fake

This bug also happens on Windows but we find that very few players run into it there. However, I've noticed Mac users tend to pin things to their dock more often. If you run into problems launching the game after patching make sure you are not running from the app pinned in the dock.

Unfortunately, fixing this bug requires deceptively large amount of work. However, it is on our backlog. I apologize for any inconvenience .

Cheers!

NOTE:
There is only one proper way to pin League of Legends to the dock. To do this open your applications folder. Drag the "League of Legends.app" bundle you see there onto your dock. Hovering over it after your done should read "League of Legends". An unfortunate side effect of this is that you will have two "L" icons(up to 5 if you have 10.6.8) in your dock when the game is running.

Asatorrr

06-20-2013

is it ok to pin the launcher to the dock?

Brentmeister

06-20-2013
2 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatorrr View Post
is it ok to pin the launcher to the dock?
No .

The only way to "properly" pin League of Legends to the dock is drag the "League of Legends.app" from your applications folder onto your dock. (I'll add this to the post)

ManicPhilosopher

06-20-2013

OH MY GOD l LOVE YOU

Rhotick

06-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
NOTE:
There is only one proper way to pin League of Legends to the dock. To do this open your applications folder. Drag the "League of Legends.app" bundle you see there onto your dock. Hovering over it after your done should read "League of Legends". An unfortunate side effect of this is that you will have two "L" icons in your dock when the game is running.
The two "L" icons thing is incorrect. I actually have not two, not three, but SIX "L" icons on the dock when I'm in game.

1. The "League of Legends" that I click to launch from the dock.
2. The "UserKernel" icon
3. The "LoL Launcher" - Both this and the UserKernel appear on launch and don't go away.
4. The "LolClient"
5. The "League of Legends" icon that appears when I get into a game.

...Number 6 is the PBE, so that doesn't really count, but still...

Brentmeister

06-20-2013
3 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotick View Post
The two "L" icons thing is incorrect. I actually have not two, not three, but SIX "L" icons on the dock when I'm in game.

1. The "League of Legends" that I click to launch from the dock.
2. The "UserKernel" icon
3. The "LoL Launcher" - Both this and the UserKernel appear on launch and don't go away.
4. The "LolClient"
5. The "League of Legends" icon that appears when I get into a game.

...Number 6 is the PBE, so that doesn't really count, but still...
I forgot about that. It's a specific issue where 10.6.8 prevents us from hiding a dock icon once we created it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicPhilosopher View Post
OH MY GOD l LOVE YOU
<3

Rhotick

06-20-2013

Quote:
I forgot about that. It's a specific issue where 10.6.8 prevents us from hiding a dock icon once we created it.

<3
Alright. Not a huge issue, just nice to get an update. Thanks!

Mirror

06-20-2013

Is it safe to keep the game-game in the Dock? I haven't experienced any problems with it, and it's faster than clicking Reconnect, especially because the orange Reconnect button fails to appear on the Mac PvP.net Client like 70% of the time after a DC/crash.

Werewolf Link

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-20-2013

Thanks for the PSA, Bro!

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2013

Quote:
Public Service Announcement:
Do NOT pin League of Legends to your dock. The game will fail to launch after any patch to the launcher.

Repeat After Me:
I will not pin LoL on the Dock
I will not pin it on my sock
I will not pin the old LoL Launcher
Of this I could not be any stauncher
I will not pin the LoL Client
If I wish to be compliant
For if I do my LoL will break
Because my shortcut will be a fake

This bug also happens on Windows but we find that very few players run into it there. However, I've noticed Mac users tend to pin things to their dock more often. If you run into problems launching the game after patching make sure you are not running from the app pinned in the dock.

Unfortunately, fixing this bug requires deceptively large amount of work. However, it is on our backlog. I apologize for any inconvenience .

Cheers!

NOTE:
There is only one proper way to pin League of Legends to the dock. To do this open your applications folder. Drag the "League of Legends.app" bundle you see there onto your dock. Hovering over it after your done should read "League of Legends". An unfortunate side effect of this is that you will have two "L" icons(up to 5 if you have 10.6.8) in your dock when the game is running.
im on windows 7 and i have it on a third party dock

but i keep using the start menu to launch it so idk if it works.

12345 ... 9