Has Riot stopped Mac bug updates?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Gan the Man

07-08-2013

It's almost as if Riot completely forgot about the Mac platform after releasing the client.

I haven't seen any public bug fix announcements and it seems as if this forum receives no update promising love.

What gives?

Mirror

07-08-2013

Most bugs are common between the operating systems, since the AIR client and the game's engine are platform-independent.

Have you encountered any Mac-specific bugs?

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

07-08-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
Most bugs are common between the operating systems, since the AIR client and the game's engine are platform-independent.

Have you encountered any Mac-specific bugs?

^--- This. We keep a careful eye out for new mac bugs. In fact, we catch and fix most mac bugs before the release. We don't put these kinds of bugs in the patch notes.

If there are any specific bugs you feel need attention let me know. I can tell you for a fact there are more Windows specific bugs than mac ones.

The worst bug (in my opinion) on the mac right now is that the air client prevents Mac OSX from being able to shutdown.

A close second is that the mouse can sometimes escape the window in windowed or borderless mode. There are two workaround for this: A) Play in fullscreen or B) use the software mouse. Due to these two workarounds and most players just using fullscreen, it isn't the top priority to fix. (We have tried but the Mac mouse can be difficult to work with)

Acorn Thief

07-08-2013

i honestly think they do a better job of finding mac bugs than they do finding the game's actual bugs... mac user here, and i rarely have mac-specific bugs.

well done, mr. pumpkin-head...

Berneko

07-08-2013

I disagree with this claim. I've been experiencing heavy FPS drops (from ~60 to ~20) that PC users have not been having. It's not dealing with the temperature of my computer. Also that entering a loading screen, it takes a while for the screen to take any action. Something I've noticed is the mouse cursor. It is simply the black mouse pointer, but after around 5-10 seconds, it will change to the League of Legends cursor (the yellow pointing hand), then the loading screen speeds up dramatically. (This problem makes Cmd-tabbing extremely difficult). I feel that some of these problems are just difficult to fix, and I understand that the mac client is still in beta, but I've been having this problem ever since the client was released on beta, and frankly, it's getting annoying.

Vlad Alexa

07-09-2013

@RiotBrentmeister the mac beta still crashes after finishing a match, not as often as it used to but still does, the crash logs sent your way automatically will confirm if anyone looks at them.

And yea, some ultimates drop the FPS to 0 on some old mac's video cards, and the ARAM map consistently drops fps with snow/wind animations.

Patience is a virtue but you guys don't even seem to be aware of this or test all video cards in all macs that can run your game (not that manny really)

RatB33

07-09-2013

Assuming youre not using a macbook air or an ancient macbook pro with horrendous video chipsets, are you running backups using Time Machine?

Without any changes, or disabling it, it runs every fricken hour. There are a bunch of ways to change this if that may be running...

Just a thought... good luck resolving the issue.

I have been using the Mac client since the day it came out (was bootcamping for 2 weeks before that) and have never had any issue with the mac client. It works as perfectly as the windows client did. Thanks for that, Riot... (knocks on wood to ward off evil gremlins)

Vlad Alexa

07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatB33 View Post
Assuming youre not using a macbook air or an ancient macbook pro with horrendous video chipsets, are you running backups using Time Machine?

Without any changes, or disabling it, it runs every fricken hour. There are a bunch of ways to change this if that may be running...

Just a thought... good luck resolving the issue.

I have been using the Mac client since the day it came out (was bootcamping for 2 weeks before that) and have never had any issue with the mac client. It works as perfectly as the windows client did. Thanks for that, Riot... (knocks on wood to ward off evil gremlins)
Not using TM, riot should support at least the full list of macs supported by OS X 10.8 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444 (which is the same for 10.9)

If you have a latest generation mac i expect you have no problems as riot tested those machines, but they should extend testing to all.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

07-09-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

We have several Macs. Including our "Min Spec" Mac which is an old 10.6.8 machine. I believe it has an Intel HD 3000 card in it. I've fixed several bugs on this machine.

@Vlad: ARAM has performance issues even on non-macs. The map has newer effects and in general underperforms on older machines. We're looking into several solutions and try to improve the performance where possible.

@Berneko: Many PC users report similar drops. From experience the #1 cause is outside software consuming resources unknowingly. There are many other reasons this could be occurring as well. I recommend you contact Player Support as they can give much more detailed and timely support.

I agree that the loading screen bug no CMD-TAB seems more apparent on the Mac for some reason. However it also occurs on Windows. We have some upcoming tech changes that should resolve this issue for both OSes.