Thinking of playing Amumu, is he new player friendly?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyndikate

01-31-2011

I only pick certain Champions because of the learning curve. I generally look for easy champions to pick up and master champions before buying the next one.

I'm saving up for Lux first, then deciding which 1350 champ to get.

It's about time I learned how to tank with a Champion. I wanted Amumu, since he was 1350, and could be an easy champ(and he's cute), and idiot friendly, since IP is measured by difficulty. I always research champions before buying them. According to this thread I found this about Amumu.

Quote:
Amumu: The Sad Mummy
Strength: AoE Stun, fast jungler, good ganker. One of the best champions in current Meta Game.
Weakness: long cool down ultimate, mana dependant.
Starting Items: Cloth Armor, 5 health potions. Jungle!
Core Items: Randuins Omen, Banshees veil/Sunfire Cape
Role In a Team: Imitator, jungler, tank, main source of CC
Learning Curve: Hard to learn how to use, hard to master. Need to be dedicated to be an impeccable force with this champion!
Viable in Competitive Play: Yes, extremely useful. A must have, if he isnít banned.
How is Amumu? What's his difficulty level for playing?(Is he idiot friendly). If I hope to buy him, where's the best place to start picking up and learning him?

Tokinatoor

01-31-2011

He was the first 1350 champ i bought...

His Q is VERY hard to use well.

But his W,E,R are very new player friendly.

I think of him as a walking bomb. He just runs into 3-5 enemy champs and AoE, AoE, AoE and pray your team kills them.

Gato Muerto

01-31-2011

Amumu as a tank is good, but you should realize he will never win 1v1. Yes, good players CAN 1v1 w/ him, but you should not play him with the mentality that you will overrun anyone else, except for bad opponents. You are a tank, and have a lot of utility, but require others along in order to quickly finish the job.

If you are still learning the game, he is a decent champ to learn how to jungle with. Create a few practice games (or better yet, 5vbot IP farm games) and learn how to jungle efficiently. His ability to jump (and stun) from the bushes can be a satisfying experience.

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2011

He can be nasty, I used to love playing him with 3 sunfire capes, sucks they don't stack anymore..

Rod of Ages x 2, Sunfire, Force of Nature is pretty nice, typical sunfire tank build, or full ap RoA x 2 (ryjials works too), Hour Glass, abyss Scepter, Deathcap is insane sometimes too(sunfire instead of hourglass is better often)

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2011

Another new player friendly champ is mundo, more of a off tank beast fun with spirt visage and warmogs. Just watchout for ignites during ult.

His corporate mundo skin is hilarious.

Unparallelogram

01-31-2011

Just his Q makes Amumu a bad choice for new players. If you are looking for a main tank, try Rammus or Malphite. Neither of them requires precise skillshot aim.

EDIT: Clarification. It's not just that you will miss Qs if you're not good at skillshots. (I'm not either.) It's that everything that makes Amumu useful to your team and threatening to the enemies relies on him getting in their face and keeping them there. That's Q. If you can't use his Q then all you have is a huge wall of a champ that people will be reasonably easily be able to ignore.

Call Mee Maybee

02-03-2011

Ya Amumu is pretty rough on new players for a few reasons: (1) his Q like every1 said is a skillshot and not being able to land it makes you suck as Amumu (2) he has difficult farming minions early game (unless u spam his AOE and subsequently run out of mana all the time) (3) he is a "tank" but has much less armor/MR (b/c he doesnt have any abilities to activate to make him tanky) than real tanks like RAM/MAL/SHEN/ETC so he is not nearly as indestructible. (4) If you chose to jungle, he is low on health almost all the time (and thus susceptible to ganks) and does not run through nearly as fast as most other jungles
All that being said he is still completely viable as a stun-bot/ off-tank.. esp when you have hard AD carries or other champs with AOE spells

AreYouReady2Die

02-03-2011

He's fine as the only tank, and his jungle isn't that bad when runed for armor with str of spirit mastery, not as easy as WW, but just as fast as ww when played right.

Kamaro

02-03-2011

Soul Shroud, boots, Abyssal Sceptre/Zhonya's Hourglass

Gives him health, mana regen, AP, MR and armor.
You can fit in an Aegis o/t Legion somewhere in between and you offer a vast array of auras to your team as well.