On Rammus, and the importance of Sunfire Cloaks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GG Crono

12-13-2009

Recently, I've been playing Rammus and discovering that I like the little scamp a lot. But there's something I'd like to get some thoughts on.

Very many guides for him recommend the getting of a Sunfire Cloak fairly early. I've tried this before, and maybe it's just me, but it seemed that there were better things I could do with 3000 gold and change that early in the game, so a lot of times I get it later on, if at all.

I realized that it is a modestly good item to have for a champion expected to spend a lot of time in the fray, and it does give Rammus two things he likes having, HP and armor. But the cloak itself only gives slightly more HP and no more armor than its components.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but the cloak has never seemed particularly vital to my strategy. Granted, strategies are like snowflakes and if I found something that works for me, then I should obviously keep doing it. But I'm wondering if anyone else feels as I do.

What it boils down to is, I'm looking for some insight from other Rammus players. So what are your thoughts on the matter?

wildfire393

12-13-2009

One of the reasons it is so good early is that it makes farming easier.

Reep

12-13-2009

It has great synergy with his ultimate, but from my experience getting two is much much much more effective. Having one just isn't enough.

Flakes

12-13-2009

Sunfire is soo expensive, if you're having trouble farming then just get three hearts of gold for only 75 more, and way better tanking stats

BeakOr

12-13-2009

Sunfire always seems like a nice luxury when the early game's gone well, but I agree that there is much better value for money out there - things like Aegis or Banshee.

GG Crono

12-13-2009

After I get a Chalice and my boots, I usually get either a Warden's Mail or an Aegis, depending on the situation.

relkin

12-13-2009

Philo stone
boots
sunfire cape
thorn armor
wardens mail
sunfire cape

Adalonus

12-13-2009

I tend to get it early because it essentially adds about 32 extra dps that doesnt have to hit them. Also its great for chasing as you only have to be close to them and not actually hit them. The synergy with his ult is fantastic, plus the extra farm. I think it is well worth the buy. also works great because when you taunt/def. curl it add damage they aren't expecting.

HereticalCrab

12-13-2009

I never find that it in any way helps me tank/dps with this hero. I believe the only reason ppl still use it is because its on the recommended list. Of course my build is way different than most when it comes to rammus but I have plenty of success both tanking and dpsing with him without having it. I think its really only that great if your a hero that needs more survivability, and even then its kinda of a lot. I think its certainly something SOMEONE on your team should take. Whether its the tank or someone else though I suppose is up to the team.

TLDR; Not worth it to get it on rammus

Chutzpahnaught

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-13-2009

i have always found sunfire cloak of questionable worth in the first place. Its extremely inefficient. One is usually enough, if even that.

Personally, I feel there are items that give you far more bang for your buck.

my usual rammus build is something like-
2-3 hearts of gold
boots
thorn mail
aegis

Then I save up for a late game item, and maybe toss in a soul shroud.