"Reconnect Now" button

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linden Ryuujin

12-13-2009

I just had a game where my connection died for a few seconds (I could see my router reconnect). However I had to wait more than two minuets before I could reconnect (in which time I'd managed to alt-tab to the desk top and chek my connection via my browser). It would be nice to have a "Reconnect me right now" button in the interface somewhere, or at least for the reconnect button to come up more quickly.

NoOtherDestiny

12-13-2009

I would think that a possible answer as to why you'd have to wait would be:

- Your computer was still not connected to the internet (but you said browsing web worked)
- The game had to wait for your session to timeout due to the sudden disconnect (no idea how long the timeout would be)

The button would only show up when the game knows your not in the actual match anymore, thus having to wait for you to timeout. It is like in other games even HoN and MMOs, where if you suddenly disconnect, you might have to wait a minute or two before it lets you connect again.

Linden Ryuujin

12-14-2009

I can see the problems, however if it takes 2 minuets to time out then it should have been able to reconnect automatically (as the server would still be waiting for me). It seems that it tries to connect fails then waits untill it gets a signal back from the server saying I've been dropped (client/sever networking is not an area I know well though). Rather than hammering my connection it does this check infrequently. Certainly some check must be taking it's time somewhere along the line.
If I could have got back in as soon as my net came back I would probably have been able to avoid giving away first blood which would have been nice.
I'd be interested to know just how the time out operation works, but I can't help feeling at the moment that there is room for improvement.