Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zepher234

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2013

I love seeing this type of work! Show more if you can!

I really want to learn Zbrush and sculpting... but Im not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas on where to begin? And how did you develop such a cool sculpting style in Zbrush? :O

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-25-2013
19 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
This sculpts are so incredibly detailed.. Are they ported into the game wholesale? Or do you guys have to tweak them?
We have to bump them down a bit, but we use a process where we can take a lot of the high res shadow info and bake it down to the game rez version.

Quote:
PlayedSun -I was just curious as to what your background/training in art? Did you go to school for this ind of stuff or were you mainly self taught?

I was going to a liberal arts college but majoring in animation, but I wasn't really progressing as to how I would have liked and after talking to some professionals, like cgsammu or Monty Oum, I decided to switch to an arts college (SCAD) starting this upcoming semester so that I can focus primarily on my work/be challenged and hopefully improve a lot more than I was before. I'm always curious to hear about the backgrounds of people in the industry, and I know that in the end it's up to me to do the work in order to improve myself, and that switching colleges won't instantly make me better, but it does help motivate me and talking to people already in the industry always gives me a little nudge in what I hope is the right direction.
I frequent sites like www.polycount.com and www.cghub.com a lot. I like to see what is currently going on in the 3d world. I also used to get lots of books about 3d modeling in a specific package like 3ds Max or Maya and go through it 2 or 3 times. I never went to school, but I made sure I educated myself. The best way to make good art, is to make art all the time, over and over. The art isn't the goal, it's the artist you become in the process.
Draw paint sculpt all the time whenever you can. The more you do it the better you get. Look at people you like and emulate them, copy, study, and give credit where it is due. Consume all different styles and internalize it and your own style will be born.

Quote:
zepher234 I love seeing this type of work! Show more if you can!

I really want to learn Zbrush and sculpting... but Im not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas on where to begin? And how did you develop such a cool sculpting style in Zbrush? :O
Sculptris is free. Or you can get the Demo of zbrush. The best place to begin is at the beginning Think of something you want to make in zbrush and start making it. Look for help when you can't figure it out on your own. When you are done making something, forget about it and make something else. Rinse and repeat for life.

Here are two more pieces from the vault. One is the Void Crystal Ryze skin. I made this when I was on the skin team, it was one of my first assignments.

The second is Heartseeker Vayne...yeah.

Fateborn

06-25-2013

You broke the site with those images.

dct2000

06-25-2013

Why does Heart Seeker Vayne's hair not look as fabulous in-game like in the the splash?

moogle890

06-25-2013

This is going to be an odd question, but is the crystal on Dark Crystal Ryze's back supposed to be a reference to the crystal from the movie The Dark Crystal by Jim Henson?

federaly

06-25-2013

This is really an awesome thread. Thanks for this stuff Grumpy.

Think you could dig anything up from Thresh's development? Or maybe some Draven concept art?!

DJ Spinfuse

06-26-2013

My god those **** on vayne

Ferreira Pedro

06-26-2013

Hello. Just dropping by to tell you I really appreciate you taking the time to show us your pre-production and production stuff.

As an artist myself who loves League's art style I find it very inspirational

Thanks!

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-26-2013
20 of 34 Riot Posts

Thanks guys, I'll try to see what else I can dig up.

Empyrius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2013

Can i request anything you can find for Riven, Irelia, or Orianna?