Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-22-2013
17 of 34 Riot Posts

I'll see what else I can dig up from these old hard drives on monday, but here are some Darius sculpts from his development:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg darius_render_1.jpg (486.4 KB, 2842 views)
File Type: jpg darius_render_2.jpg (868.7 KB, 2267 views)

Mattarias

06-22-2013

Daaaang... I really need to work on my character modeling skills. 3D certificate and all I can show for it is a bunch of crappy student work. :\

IS11075e7f4b520a

06-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
I'll see what else I can dig up from these old hard drives on monday, but here are some Darius sculpts from his development:
oh I almost forgot darius had a full axe/both sides..

what made you guys choose to go with just having a one sided axe?

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-22-2013
18 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS11075e7f4b520a View Post
oh I almost forgot darius had a full axe/both sides..

what made you guys choose to go with just having a one sided axe?
His hook move, we wanted one side to be a razor sharp axe and the other a vicious hook.

Dessembrae

06-22-2013

Grumpy Monkey, any possibility of seeing earlier Thresh concepts?

Rastamon Ganja

06-22-2013

I am a Design and Architecture major, proficient in Photoshop and know a little bit of Rhino and 3dsMax, is that something that could qualify me to get a job at Riot? What kind of qualifications or skills does Riot look for in a person who wants to work in the conceptual/design/art/3d modeling department?

Lord Huckington

06-22-2013

ok the Vi concept art is incredible, the FIRST ONE

please make it a skin, remove the skates and make it like a tank girl skin or Junkyard vi.

OH MAN this is really neat stuff

Warrikon

06-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Huckington View Post
ok the Vi concept art is incredible, the FIRST ONE

please make it a skin, remove the skates and make it like a tank girl skin or Junkyard vi.

OH MAN this is really neat stuff
so much yes..

lol. Original vi, or hipster vi... bleh... want

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-23-2013

This sculpts are so incredibly detailed.. Are they ported into the game wholesale? Or do you guys have to tweak them?

PlayedSun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2013

I was just curious as to what your background/training in art? Did you go to school for this ind of stuff or were you mainly self taught?

I was going to a liberal arts college but majoring in animation, but I wasn't really progressing as to how I would have liked and after talking to some professionals, like cgsammu or Monty Oum, I decided to switch to an arts college (SCAD) starting this upcoming semester so that I can focus primarily on my work/be challenged and hopefully improve a lot more than I was before. I'm always curious to hear about the backgrounds of people in the industry, and I know that in the end it's up to me to do the work in order to improve myself, and that switching colleges won't instantly make me better, but it does help motivate me and talking to people already in the industry always gives me a little nudge in what I hope is the right direction.