Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArlanKels

06-21-2013

Heh, the first concept art on Vi reminds me of a champion idea I put out a long time ago pertaining to a guy who used roller skate-type footwear. All about hit and run, high mobility with heavy punishment for hesitating.

Is there a chance we might see the rollerskate approach again in the future?

Please

starbringer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Here are some early explorations of Vi. I had this idea of making her a roller derby chick, with a really tough girl attitude. That element I think got carried through to the final character. The second image is from a discussion in which I was asked to make Vi a bit younger, like a street urchin of Piltover, who found these gloves and became a badass. The final direction that is in the game now is the best incarnation imo. But it's fun to look back sometimes.
I agree with you in that I like the current Vi the best, but it makes me happy to learn you do things like this just to get a better feel for the character. Also that trundle sculpt is awesome. Do you think someone who has mostly only done paper/2d art would have a hard time learning that?(took ceramics in junior high but that's it) Is there a free scuplting program that I could use to try it?

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
7 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Is there a chance we might see the rollerskate approach again in the future?
No body has brought it up, and we aren't even thinking about it at the moment, but that doesn't mean we won't do it someday.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
8 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbringer View Post
I agree with you in that I like the current Vi the best, but it makes me happy to learn you do things like this just to get a better feel for the character. Also that trundle sculpt is awesome. Do you think someone who has mostly only done paper/2d art would have a hard time learning that?(took ceramics in junior high but that's it) Is there a free scuplting program that I could use to try it?
Look up a program called Sculptris I do believe it is free and is very similar to zbrush. It would be a good program to fiddle with. In fact i'll do you a solid, here is the link: http://pixologic.com/sculptris/ Have fun!

Tortferngatr

06-21-2013

>begin tangent

Aatrox still costs 7800 IP; it has been 8 days since his release. Just bring it up to a colleague if you can.

>end tangent

Quote:
No body has brought it up, and we aren't even thinking about it at the moment, but that doesn't mean we won't do it someday.
Zaunite "hoverboard rider" champ? Uses skates AND a board, because he/she's just that awesome?

It would be hilarious if his/her ult was a massive ramp jump that let him/her do midair tricks that gained different properties based on whether he/she used Q, W, or E in midair. (coughinvokerridingaskateboardinrollerskatescough)

starbringer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2013

Quote:
Look up a program called Sculptris I do believe it is free and is very similar to zbrush. It would be a good program to fiddle with. In fact i'll do you a solid, here is the link: http://pixologic.com/sculptris/ Have fun!
Sweet, thanks, installing it now.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
9 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post

Zaunite "hoverboard rider" champ? Uses skates AND a board, because he/she's just that awesome?

It would be hilarious if his/her ult was a massive ramp jump that let him/her do midair tricks that gained different properties based on whether he/she used Q, W, or E in midair. (coughinvokerridingaskateboardinrollerskatescough)
Love it. Oh man what if the Ult was you could place two halves of a ramp on two areas and jump to each? So you could jump across midlane and drop damage or place one at river bush and one on the other side for crazy ganks. Hmmm this idea is intriguing...

ArlanKels

06-21-2013

Quote:
Love it. Oh man what if the Ult was you could place two halves of a ramp on two areas and jump to each? So you could jump across midlane and drop damage or place one at river bush and one on the other side for crazy ganks. Hmmm this idea is intriguing...
There's also the potential to "Grind" across creep waves with a move similar to Katarina's bouncing blades, but YOU are the bouncing blade.

Eyrgos

06-21-2013

Quote:
Zomg... this just unlocked so many possibilities in my mind... Hoverboard must be done, but also--much more sweet Zaun-tech across the board...

I want the female Zaunite to kick-ass with all kinds of gadgets & perhaps a cyborg eye.

Give her an ult like Lux's mixed with Samus' Final Smash in Brawl (directable, sustained beam that can slowly shift direction)... albeit weaker and shorter-ranged.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBqv8GQMFlI (@1:29)

06-21-2013

while we talk about vi, i really like the small thing about Begin able to put her glass on and off in a skin, pls consider more cool stuff which is letting us to personalize skin even on the small details