Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 17
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
4 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albireo View Post
I didn't know that there was a Trundle speed sculpt already, it's awesome, like a real 3d art spotlight,

I don't know if this thread was intend to ask but, what brushes do you usually use more when you are sculpting a champ?

hope to see more in the future if it's posible, it's always welcome
Yeah, I hope to do more in the future, sometimes zbrush breaks when recording movies, you have to be kind of meticulous about saving and the strain it puts on your system.
The main brushes I use in zbrush are the Clay brush, Trim Dynamic, Dam Standard, Standard, Move, and High polish. I would say those are the main brushes I use most consistently.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
5 of 34 Riot Posts

Here are some early explorations of Vi. I had this idea of making her a roller derby chick, with a really tough girl attitude. That element I think got carried through to the final character. The second image is from a discussion in which I was asked to make Vi a bit younger, like a street urchin of Piltover, who found these gloves and became a badass. The final direction that is in the game now is the best incarnation imo. But it's fun to look back sometimes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg josh-singh-early-concept-of-vi.jpg (852.2 KB, 3376 views)
File Type: jpg josh-singh-vi-league-of-legends-early-concepts.jpg (683.2 KB, 2732 views)

Grim Reaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2013

I actually really like the second early concept of vi.

Ibuki Suika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Here are some early explorations of Vi. I had this idea of making her a roller derby chick, super tough. That element I think got carried through to the final character. The second image is from a discussion in which I was asked to make Vi a bit younger, like a street urchin of piltover, who found these gloves and became a badass. The final direction that is in the game now is the best incarnation imo. But it's fun to look back sometimes.
that second one of the younger Vi reminds me of Torchlight.

Method512

06-21-2013

Share more. Its sad to see this not having the deserved views because it wasnt posted on GD.
Keep up the good work!

Twoskie

06-21-2013

Quite awesome stuff there! Always interesting and funny to check these

WizzadDeBz

06-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Here are some early explorations of Vi. I had this idea of making her a roller derby chick, super tough. That element I think got carried through to the final character. The second image is from a discussion in which I was asked to make Vi a bit younger, like a street urchin of piltover, who found these gloves and became a badass. The final direction that is in the game now is the best incarnation imo. But it's fun to look back sometimes.
Why did you guys get rid of the roller skates out of curiosity? Think it's cool personally.

dafedidi

06-21-2013

This is SICKKK !

I love it ! Vi, Jayce and Master Yi in 3D. Dude, love your art.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
6 of 34 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method512 View Post
Share more. Its sad to see this not having the deserved views because it wasnt posted on GD.
Keep up the good work!
I don't think it's that sad. I wanted to post Art and Feedback because I feel like this little nook of the forums gets a bit more real talk. It's true that I would probably get more views in GD, but I think that when people look in Art and Feedback, there is a genuine interest in the development of Lol, which I really really like.

Quote:
Why did you guys get rid of the roller skates out of curiosity? Think it's cool personally.
SO DO I!!. But in hindsight I dunno, I think it fought with the main theme of Vi which is the attitude and the gloves. That is a thematic package that is easy to wrap heads around. Attitude, Gloves, and Roller Skates? Not so much. The roller skates are a bit superfluous. In my opinion, good character design is very minimalist. Sure you can add a few things here and there to add depth to the character, but for video games, each character is basically the avatar or symbol of a specific power type or combat style. We want that power and ability read to be very clear and understood to the players. Adding roller skates to Vi's design added a layer of complexity that wasn't really needed. Plus it also gives us the intellectual space to make a dedicated Roller Skate Champion someday.

Mirror

06-21-2013

I love the third iteration on Soraka's horns; looks like Rhino LeBlanc. D:

P.S.: Damn, now we need a rollerskating champion.

12345612 ... 17