Grumpy Monkey's Art Thread

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 17
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-18-2013
1 of 34 Riot Posts

Hey guys, I have a lot of art that I have done for League and I wanted to share it with the community. I started this thread as a way to show some of the 3d models and concept art that I or other rioters have done. Many times you guys only get to see the splash and final in game art, as I get permission I would like to start even posting old production art so you guys can see some of the process. Keep in mind that most of this stuff is old and/or is already out in the wild, that being said I would love to hear your thoughts or questions about the process of making art.
So Since Master Yi was just announced, here is a 3d turnaround of his High Res sculpt that I made to be used in the making his in-game model.

https://vimeo.com/68653110

More to come...

IceFire360

06-18-2013

Awesome loved the Yi video, able to see the little bits of details not seen in the ingame pics.

Hope to see more soon like prototype designs or maybe even some cancelled champion ideas.

Mirror

06-18-2013

Very cool; looking forward to moar!

FA Aokiji

06-18-2013

You should be doing these kind of stuff more often, you showing and us seeing your art is cool.
Thanks for coming and welcome!

Ixinar

06-18-2013

Ok, I didn't want to do it, but I have to.

Who is responsible for that Riven splash art that got to PBE? That person totally missed the Champion's theme in my opinion. Why do I say that? Because first thing that come to my mind when I saw it was: Why is Katarina cosplaying as Riven here?

On the other hand, I thought that screens were wonky and perspective didn't bring Yi's model coherent view... But that model you showed in link confirmed my fear. You guys made Yi's oculars totally wide-screen and unrecognizable ;( I definitely liked them as they were shown in Riot's first cinematic, they were making him predatory. Now he's just a dude with a bad mask and kinda weirdly shaped helmet? :( I don't know, it doesn't look badass to me, and on his ingame model such wide location of oculars, as shown in screens in his rework, make eyes that should not be visible from certain angle, almost blinding you when you look at him. Oh well, it will take me a LONG time to get used to it now. I'm pretty sad now. (On the other hand, the overall geometry cleanup looks awesome.)

WorrSSo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2013

Grumpy, what happened to Yi's beard?

Iron Solari

06-18-2013

Please tell me you are simply yet to model Yi's swords..on his boots. Please monkey D:

Edit: Nvm i read a post on it. He keeps the sword boots

Albireo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2013

I didn't know that there was a Trundle speed sculpt already, it's awesome, like a real 3d art spotlight,

I don't know if this thread was intend to ask but, what brushes do you usually use more when you are sculpting a champ?

hope to see more in the future if it's posible, it's always welcome

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
2 of 34 Riot Posts

As promised here is some more stuff. Some of this you may have already seen, but Im going to put it up here for posterity.
Here is an image I made during the Soraka Rework, when we where discussing Her hooves and possible alternate horn options:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soraka_Sheet_Choices.jpg (264.0 KB, 3051 views)

Grumpy Monkey

Senior Character Artist

06-21-2013
3 of 34 Riot Posts

And here is a render of Jayce. Used it to learn some shader stuff and rendering in Mental Ray.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jayce_small.jpg (530.4 KB, 3402 views)

1234511 ... 17