Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

This client is so horrible...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FlubbyDG

06-18-2013

Quote:
Mynt:
So I'll teach you this cool thing about computers.

There's two kinds of memory: ROM, and RAM. In general, ROM is used for long duration storage. RAM updates much more quickly, but doesn't save data after you power off the machine.

Gosh, I'll bet Riot's PVP.net programmers had no idea. You should charge for these lessons.

Mynt

06-18-2013

Quote:
FlubbyDG:
Gosh, I'll bet Riot's PVP.net programmers had no idea. You should charge for these lessons.

It makes me wonder.

Maybe I can get Damiya's job with my amateur programming knowledge of garbage collection.
Via Lua: http://lua-users.org/wiki/GarbageCollectionTutorial

Moragtao

06-18-2013

Works fine for me kid

whoisthatpokemon

06-18-2013

Quote:
Mynt:
It makes me wonder.

Maybe I can get Damiya's job with my amateur programming knowledge of garbage collection.

Carry it out then. If you're so inclined to be so condescending that their work is so easy. "A flip of the switch" as you explained previously.

OdinWolfe

06-18-2013

9 years of gaming, ahahaha

Chaoswyrm

06-18-2013

Quote:
Captain Marvel:
Carry it out then. If you're so inclined to be so condescending that their work is so easy. "A flip of the switch" as you explained previously.

Here comes the "Do it better or stfu." argument this kiddo is trying to make.

Does one really have to program an Xbox One to know the DRM is ****? Does one one have to know how to build a car to know that the engine is phucked up?

Also, I don't think he was the one to bring up the "A flip of the switch" thing.

Lvl 8 Psyduck

06-18-2013

Quote:
Damiya:
There's nothing inherently wrong with AIR, and in fact the vast majority of our playerbase experiences the game with few PVP.net problems.

The process of replacing legacy code with better implementations is ongoing, but such efforts will be largely minor or invisible in the short term; see the posts about Runes and Buddy Chat on the PBE, with a revamp to the Champion Inventory and Match History pages next at bat. You may not see it, but changes are happening and the client is being eased towards a more responsive and more maintanable state.

I understand that such claims don't mitigate the anger or lessen the frustration when the client goes sideways. Nobody here likes to read about players getting dropped or dodging a game because something broke. Those of us on the PVP.Net team will continue to work at improving the player experience, but it's a delicate (and slow) process. Like I said in the PBE thread on runes, it's like rebuilding an airplane engine at 35000 feet over the middle of the Pacific ocean: it's tricky, delicate work that needs to be done well.

I can't even open the Store WTF are you talking about?
It have so many problems and bugs and you don't even put any effort into fixing them or finding them

Mynt

06-18-2013

Quote:
Captain Marvel:

I mean it is easy. You can try it for yourself. Just start a game, and kill the chat client.

If Damiya is reading this and being hurt by my words, Damiya can try the same thing.

That's what's cool about the things I type: I provide objective truth. There's no need to take the things I say for face value. I give you the tools to check if my words are true all by yourself.

onaprayer

06-18-2013

Quote:
Damiya:
Again, that's not a consequence of AIR itself. That's a consequence of the way the core of the client works. Efforts are being undertaken to improve the performance of the client and reduce the footprint, but there's no simple "Use less RAM" switch that can be flipped.

All I can do is ask for your patience; there's a lot of solid engineering being poured into the AIR client that you'll begin to experience in short order and that's not a 'soon' kind of promise. It's a "next patch, and the patch after that, and the one after that". Hang in there guys.

appreciate it. I got pretty sad when testing out garena client and found I got the same fps on high settings as I do with low on NA. Also getting increasing amounts of frame lag.

Hope the upcoming patches helps out laptop users.

Prettyfox

Recruiter

06-18-2013

Quote:
Damiya:
There's nothing inherently wrong with AIR, and in fact the vast majority of our playerbase experiences the game with few PVP.net problems.

The process of replacing legacy code with better implementations is ongoing, but such efforts will be largely minor or invisible in the short term; see the posts about Runes and Buddy Chat on the PBE, with a revamp to the Champion Inventory and Match History pages next at bat. You may not see it, but changes are happening and the client is being eased towards a more responsive and more maintanable state.

I understand that such claims don't mitigate the anger or lessen the frustration when the client goes sideways. Nobody here likes to read about players getting dropped or dodging a game because something broke. Those of us on the PVP.Net team will continue to work at improving the player experience, but it's a delicate (and slow) process. Like I said in the PBE thread on runes, it's like rebuilding an airplane engine at 35000 feet over the middle of the Pacific ocean: it's tricky, delicate work that needs to be done well.

While I appreciate the post, I agree. I understand w hat you're saying perfectly, my post was more directed towards those who would like you to transfer away from AIR.