This client is so horrible...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

florrie

06-18-2013

The bad thing is is that they "replace code" when they need to trash it and rewrite the whole thing.

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
Again, that's not a consequence of AIR itself. That's a consequence of the way the core of the client works. Efforts are being undertaken to improve the performance of the client and reduce the footprint, but there's no simple "Use less RAM" switch that can be flipped.
So I'll teach you this cool thing about computers.

There's two kinds of memory: ROM, and RAM. In general, ROM is used for long duration storage. RAM updates much more quickly, but doesn't save data after you power off the machine.

Since around the 70s, programmers have been using these two kinds of memory for different things. For instance--and this part is relevant to inventing a "Use less RAM" switch--if data is not currently needed to running the program being run, then you don't need it. And if it's not needed, then it can be used for other things, such as the program being run.

The Chat Client is an example of data that isn't needed while playing a game.

Also, since the data that runs the Chat Client is already saved as ROM, it's 100% safe to just clear out the RAM that's associated to running the Chat Client when it's not being used. I actually used this hack for every single game I played on my laptop. It made the game run much quicker for me. The tool I used was Windows ability to kill processes that aren't necessary.

It was my little "Use Less RAM" switch, if you will.

JimsHardcore

06-18-2013

Quote:
Again, that's not a consequence of AIR itself. That's a consequence of the way the core of the client works. Efforts are being undertaken to improve the performance of the client and reduce the footprint, but there's no simple "Use less RAM" switch that can be flipped.

All I can do is ask for your patience; there's a lot of solid engineering being poured into the AIR client that you'll begin to experience in short order and that's not a 'soon' kind of promise. It's a "next patch, and the patch after that, and the one after that". Hang in there guys.
I'm gonna be the guy here that actually wants to thank you Damiya.
Your continual work has actually improved the Client. Sure it's not perfect, but you guys are continually adding and changing it to work in a more stable way.
We do notice it (At least I do anyway)

Sure, I have issues at times, but 90% of software has issues.
I just want to take the time to thank you for the work you guys and gals ar eputting into this, and wish you the best of luck in the future for finding more efficient ways to run the client. In or out of AIR.

TL;DR Thanks Damiya and team for all you do and continue to do. Despite the dissapointment at times. It is appreciated.

XxxLumberJackxxX

06-18-2013

How si damiya not getting upvotes for responding so professionally to such a trolly OP?

Betus Flender

06-18-2013

QQ thread. Sounds like you're on a toaster.

Chaoswyrm

06-18-2013

Quote:

All I can do is ask for your patience; there's a lot of solid engineering being poured into the AIR client that you'll begin to experience in short order and that's not a 'soon' kind of promise. It's a "next patch, and the patch after that, and the one after that". Hang in there guys.
Well instead of dropping all this hardcore solid engineering you guys keep talking about pouring into the AIR client for at least two years.. how about just dumping AIR and starting from scratch? Sure you can say it'll take time, but wouldn't it be the same as all the "Solid engineering" you're already pouring into it?

Mynt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JooMancer View Post
How si damiya not getting upvotes for responding so professionally to such a trolly OP?
Damiya is pretending that there isn't such a thing as coding more efficiently.

Which, when you look at the job description from a literal sense is all they do--find ways to make things more efficiently coded.

Pinker 10

06-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK McMahon View Post
PC gaming my dude.
Puh-lease.
Been gamin on the pc since i was 7.
Half-life, diablo 1 and nox ftw.

TyresiusMordekai

06-18-2013

Quote:

I understand the reasons, although, it still would probably not take but a little while to fix the client's current problems. Like crashing you in games for hotfixes and stuff like that.

Im sure with 2013's new technology, and all the money that Riot Games has, that it wouldn't be difficult to tweak the small problems that your client has and relaunch it to the public.

It's just my 2 cents, but i still think you guys could do just a little bit more with it than you say you can.

Chaoswyrm

06-18-2013

Seriously tho

Do we really need two different clients for one game? Having the AIR for all the social and stat tracking stuff seems pointless when you could just implement it into the game client itself.. not to mention that it would shave some (even if a little) seconds of loading time.. compared to having to wait for the game client to start up and load everything after..