This client is so horrible...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

irishmn

06-19-2013

While I agree that the client is pretty weak, I don't think getting childish and angry is really necessary. A small reminder to riot, or even a simple "please work on it" is all it really takes. Acting like a spoiled kid and raging publicly and loudly is pretty silly, especially when their client clearly doesn't influence your decision to play the game, seeing as you keep playing it.

Ryios

06-20-2013

Imo, for a good, stable, all around client... Why don't you guys just make a new one on the side in straight c++ or w/e language the game itself is written in. Merge the game client and the login client into one entity so if I'm playing full screen window it's always full screen window.

I never understood the concept of a pol utilities ideology (FFXI), which is kind of a lot like what the lol login client is. It's a doorway into games, then the game launches and it's a completely different framework etc. It's an unnecessary layer of complexity.

You can still have a store in c++/directx. You could make the rune pages infinitely better with a completely new interface, including the champion screen.

Secondly. What exactly is loading everytime you go to a load screen? If it was all one game instead of a client launching the game you could preload resources when players login to the game client (because the game client is the game, same drawing components etc). So say you login, it loads 90% of what's needed for a match. You join a que and everyone jets through the load screen in <10 seconds on average.

Imo 90% of the pain in playing this game, is waiting for toasters to get past the load screen for 4+ minutes. Especially in aram, it turns 15 minute games into 20+ minute games, and if that load screen were reduced by 90% you could get 1 or 2 extra aram games in when you normally would have only been able to play 8 before calling it a night.

Wow has a launcher, but that's what it is, a launcher/patcher, everything else is in the game. Even guild wars 2 launcher is the same. I know I'm comparing MMO's to lol, but to me it seems like 90% of what's in the lol launcher client should be in the game, including queing for matches, finding custom servers, etc etc.

VincentK McMahon

06-20-2013

*Gasp* I'm still crashing... Shocking right?

CopenhagenGreen

06-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
I'll make a ticket right now and see what the pain level is on enabling mousewheel to scroll store page.
Wow, you are awesome Damiya. Your quick responses and taking actual actions is awesome. One of the many things that makes LoL stand out from other games the staff.

Chocoßo

06-20-2013

Quote:
There's nothing inherently wrong with AIR, and in fact the vast majority of our playerbase experiences the game with few PVP.net problems.

The process of replacing legacy code with better implementations is ongoing, but such efforts will be largely minor or invisible in the short term; see the posts about Runes and Buddy Chat on the PBE, with a revamp to the Champion Inventory and Match History pages next at bat. You may not see it, but changes are happening and the client is being eased towards a more responsive and more maintanable state.

I understand that such claims don't mitigate the anger or lessen the frustration when the client goes sideways. Nobody here likes to read about players getting dropped or dodging a game because something broke. Those of us on the PVP.Net team will continue to work at improving the player experience, but it's a delicate (and slow) process. Like I said in the PBE thread on runes, it's like rebuilding an airplane engine at 35000 feet over the middle of the Pacific ocean: it's tricky, delicate work that needs to be done well.
i lost lp because i "dodged" when the client screwed up one time, and when i emailed support about it i got an automated response about the queue dodge wait time being in place so that people don't just dodge all the time

Vn Sñeakÿ Spÿ

06-20-2013

really? never even had a single problem with this client

MachoSaurus

06-20-2013

Quote:
There's nothing inherently wrong with AIR, and in fact the vast majority of our playerbase experiences the game with few PVP.net problems.
I'm sorry but that's a flat out lie. I love you reds and the game to death but every single person I know that plays this game has issues with the client. And about half of all games start with 1 person afk trying to reconnect. It's pretty bad

Ryios

06-20-2013

I think riot should do research to find the common denominator issues with the client.

E.g., I play in a window full screen with dual monitors on windows 8. I have 2 graphics cards, 1 per monitor (both the same card), and the onboard intel GPU is running my HD TV. So theres 2 graphics drivers in play.

I also play on dual SSD's in RAID 0.

Client crashes, or hangs on me usually when in in the web browser on the other screen during the loading screen. It's like it has issues loading when it's not in focus.

RD20

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur210 View Post
you can't expect aaa quality from an indie game
Bastion - what was your point again?

SymphonicFinale

08-06-2013