New Mechanics: Don't Be Afraid, Riot.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

reziel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2010

I love LoL and the work you do, but "The tech can't handle it" won't be a good enough excuse with DOTA 2 rolling around in the future.

I hope you guys are getting ready.

Knote

11-21-2010

Morello.

Give me Windrunner please.

Thanks.

<3

Rogmarz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

11-21-2010

Morello ftw. Although the Weapon switch is a lot like Nidalee like someone pointed out. If you want more than 2 I suppose you'd have to create a new skill bar, or maybe make clicking on "R" multiple types cycle your skills, but maybe that's what you're referring to technology wise.

badbird

11-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
* Kennen: Between Energy and Mark of the Storm, his play is very different even though his individual skills are not (this is -key-)
The guy just lightning rushes the enemy team, hits his ultimate, activates Zhonya's, and stands there inert for 2 seconds while people die.

He was an interesting champion when he was released... but you're not actually presenting him as a good example of your design team's abilities now, are you?

Doodlemeister

11-21-2010

bump

VoG Nova

11-21-2010

good read

VoidInsanity

11-21-2010

A Topic crying out for a new interesting champion mechanics? How can I resist not quoting myself.

Quote:
Idea is a system for a champion abilities to pulse every so often, and you can only activate the skill on the pulse. Kind of like Invoker from DotA, but more "stylish", Broified if you will. Got the idea from thinking "man I wish there was a Bro Sona with a Guitar!"

Thus this idea was born.

An energy champion with a global cooldown between "combo's" and to preform the combo you must keep to a Rhythm. Pressing a beat key when its not "Ready" counts as "failing to use a skill". In order to "cast" something, you hold down the last skillkey. If you press the key normally you get a buff that lasts 1/2 the duration of its cooldown to allow you to combo it into the next skill.

For Example lets say this champion plays a guitar that summons bats, and Q based combo's are used to shoot bats at things. Say the Rhythm on Q is 4 seconds, to cast a spell that shot a damaging bat at your target you'd have to press Q once 4 seconds have passed and hold it down then you'd have 2 seconds to aim the skill while you hold the note.

For a combo example lets say W is a Target mod with a cooldown of 12 seconds. Pressing W first gives you 6 seconds to use Q for a combined WQ spell that you have 2 seconds to aim, which moves you to the target location. Using Q first gives you 2 seconds to use W but then gives you 6 seconds to lock on and shoot a bat at something. Using Q twice by doing Q waiting 4 seconds then Q again gives you a stronger bat skillshot with 4 seconds to aim it. However you must keep the beat, you cannot just bash QW or WQ, you must time it correctly for it to work.

The ulti of the champion would be some kid of modifier that speeds up the beat allowing for faster skills casting and more of them.

Hard concept to swallow I know and it sounds complicated, but its not really. It's just very "unique" like Invoker in DotA is/was.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-21-2010
2 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird View Post
The guy just lightning rushes the enemy team, hits his ultimate, activates Zhonya's, and stands there inert for 2 seconds while people die.

He was an interesting champion when he was released... but you're not actually presenting him as a good example of your design team's abilities now, are you?
You're talking about stacking interactions, balance and other concerns that are related, but not about ability design. Kennen's Mark of the Storm is an example of a "glue" mechanic that can bring a character together, I didn't say Kennen's ult + Z Ring was awesome, balanced and unique.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-21-2010
3 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicleX View Post
A Topic crying out for a new interesting champion mechanics? How can I resist not quoting myself.
This skill is completely over our complexity bar. Invoker is a great example of the type of champion you will not see in LoL. I could make you do a calculus equation everytime you used a skill in LoL, and that would be harder and more complex, but that doesn't mean it's good gameplay.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-21-2010
4 of 19 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catloaf View Post
Isn't that kind of how nidalee works when she switches into cougar form? Model change and a new skillset? I guess you could do it so the guy only has 2 different weapons, I'm not sure how having more than 2 would work though.
It is, pretty much, but we have to make a new model to do this, which is basically a multiplier on art overhead. That stuff really creeps out of control fast. In this example, it'd be a champion with more than form A and Form B, but fewer drastic paradigm shifts in abilities between forms (all melee, for example).

If we could swap the weapons out dynamically, the art overhead goes away, and that's a real concern from a production standpoint.