New Mechanics: Don't Be Afraid, Riot.

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ribbones

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2010

So I was sitting there, wondering which Champion to possibly buy next. I looked at a few of the recent heroes; Irelia, Lux, Swain, MF, Sona. It seems that all new heroes are mechanically confused in some way or another. Each of these have been exciting in their own way. They are presented as Mobile RDPS, or Tanky Caster, or Tanky Assassin MDPS, or any number of predictable combinations, and to an extent they fill this role. The itty bitty issue here, is that once it's been decided upon which role they're designed for, this fact usually skips the mind of whoever's creating the abilities.
Who here could consider Irelia a Tanky Assassin? Or Swain a Tanky Caster? or Lux the Support/DPS she was presented as? They are very close though. The only thing holding them back is the hesitation of adding strange new mechanics to the game, to prevent 'anti-fun' as it was called.

Over the last few years, I've been quite involved in the teambased PVP games. From WC3 mods, to BLC, HoN, WOW PVP and onto LOL, which is by far my favorite. The only thing these other games have over LOL, is ability mechanics. And by this, I mean originality, interactivity and synergy. I believe that as ability designers, Riot are hesitant to introduce abilities that are difficult to grasp. I also believe that they underestimate the adaptability of the LOL playerbase. This game is entirely about adaptation and improvisation. Some spells like Swains original Torment were not too complicated too comprehend, and LOL didn't need another conventional DOT ability.

A lot of abilities are recycled and changed slightly from other heroes. Every now and then, a fantastic ability is released, but it isn't always suited to the design that was envisioned for the Champion.
Irelia is tanky? She doesn't have amazing base health. She doesn't have a taunt, or a shield, or a way to protect allies. She does, however, have lifestealing blades as an ultimate. Right there, that is the issue. Lifesteal doesn't make one tanky, it's counterintuitive. What would have changed this? If her ultimate generated a temporary shield instead of lifestealing. Fire it into a group of enemies, the more you strike, the larger your shield becomes, and the tankier you get. This synergizes well with her passive; making her tougher as more enemies are around. It would open up a whole new field of viability with her if this were the case. Fire your ultimate into a creep wave? There's a shield, now go hit the tower 2 or 3 times and run away. Repeat and she's a guerilla pusher. In teamfights, it creates a pseudo-initiation, applying pressure. The enemy team should initiate before Irelia can build up her shield, becoming even more of a problem in the imminent fight.

I digress slightly. What I'm trying to say is, please don't be afraid of new combinations of effects, Riot. When you're brainstorming or whatever you do, please don't be all "Lifesteal? Fantastic!" Think outside the box. "Lifesteal? Alright. A Stun? A Shield? A Silence? A Taunt? A Snare? A Debuff? Which of those would work better?"

How fantastic would a ranged taunt be. If Gragas hurled his cask into a crowd and for the next 2 seconds they all chased madly after him. What if Swains Nevermove grew in size and were activated? If the hotkey were struck in quick succession, it would be a small AOE, but with a longer duration and higher damage. If a gap were left, the AOE would grow larger, but less damage would be dealt, and the snare would be shorter. What if Lux could hurl her baton at her Prismatic area, causing it to increase in size and damage as the baton passed through it? What if Morgana could place her shield on an enemy, increasing the magic damage they took from abilities instead of blocking it?
I'm getting entirely sidetracked.

I just don't want to see heroes being released that either render older heroes entirely obsolete (Sona), are cast aside and rarely used (Swain, Urgot), or dominate many niches of the game, taking the best many other heroes have to offer, and combining them in a tough new package (MF). I guess this is a good way for Riot to make money, and maybe that's what it's all about. I'm sure there would be a greater response to new heroes released if they weren't merely overpowered recycles of older heroes and instead had some intriguing new abilities that would create fantastic new possibilities in team compositions.

Thanks. Also if I've got the design process entirely wrong, please tell me, Riot. I enjoy this game immensely, and I don't want it to run out of steam for whatever reason.

TL;DR - Newer heroes are having less and less intriguing and interesting abilities. I encourage Riot to think outside the box with champion abilities, and not to be afraid of slightly more complicated mechanics. The playerbase can handle it. Some examples were provided.

BearsFromSpace

11-21-2010

I'd like to buy the sparknotes on this post.

Edit: Thanks for the sparknotes.

Booty Colin

11-21-2010

Respect, bro

Enigma4you

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2010

they are afraid to lose the masses of casuals over the slightly more hardcore. It's kinda hurting them but it's up to them who they want to cater to. I do hope they come up with some creative mechanics rather than rehashes of the same old ones. Do want new stuff after all or it gets boring.

Mr Steef

11-21-2010

i agree wholeheartedly a few friends of mine threw around a idea with morde and his sheild that if on enemys it would dmg them which wuld be pretty cool honestly so riot listen to this guy id love some new abilitys or abilitys reworked to have dual effects like sorakas silence/manaregen love the concept and would love to see it on other champs in game or new ones

Feral Renegade

11-21-2010

Excellent points. I agree entirely, and your idea for Irelia's ultimate is superb. She'd be an initiator like Malph, only without the stun its a "ATTACK, SHES SQUISHY!!!".. "Oh SH*T, her shield is still up.." I agree, I would enjoy playing more complex or difficult to handle champions. This is probaby why I've always liked Ez and Eve. Different play styles, and unique abilities, with somewhat difficult gameplay to be GOOD at playing said champion. Skillshots take... skill? and with Eve you must know when to initiate, when to hang back, when to stun, when to support, and weigh all the options, within the 1.5 seconds you have before you're enemy is in range. Fast paced, complex, and unique. I'm sure most would agree that more complex champs would be a Godsend.

madstermind

11-21-2010

Logged in to +1

So... uh. +1

Fianchetto

11-21-2010

I heard that Riot tossed around the idea of a run-N-gun champion. Ever since then,I have never stopped wanting to see it made. Do it already, Riot!

EIometer

11-21-2010

+1

I like your thought process, and agree with it.

Knote

11-21-2010

As much as I want it to happen.

It's not going to happen.

But +1

1234511 ... 22