Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Extreme RAM/CPU and FPS fluctuation lag occuring with LoL client

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1J Ninja

06-16-2013

Recently, about a week ago, my league of legends client started suffering from rather weird case of fps lag (implicit of the fact that it never happened before). I'm not sure whether this started happen before or after 3.8 patch

Here are my spec for my retarded lenovo X201 tablet

My System Specifications (credit goes to... battle.net beta profile :3)

Operating System: Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)
CPU Type: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHz
CPU Speed: 2.69 GHz
System Memory: 4.08 GB
Video Card Model: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Video Card Memory: 1.78 GB
Video Card Driver: igdumdx32.dll
Desktop Resolution: 1280x800
Hard Disk Size: 147.77 GB
Hard Disk Free Space: 19.2 GB (14%)
Download Speed: 1.32 kB/s (10.5 kbps)... huh? normally its about 300-600kbps

The tablet is 2 and a half years old, made in China, when playing LoL the battery is always plugged in with "maximum performance" setting. Also all the video settings are set to very low or no shadow.

So what happens is,
When league of legends client, the log in screen, going into store, getting in queue, getting into champion select and going into actual game have no problem. Fps remains at about 45-60 if left "stable". Now about 2 minute into the game the client either:

1. Goes to 01FPS, using up 99% of CPU, clogs up RAM, make my mouse pointer move in 1fps, whole computer slows down and most importantly, the whole game stops receiving information from the server.
  2. Just the weaker version of first one that actually lets you CS and can see yourself moving

The problem then persists about 50seconds and then returns to playable fps, but what I found was that the fps was EXTREMELY HIGH (as in constant 60fps). The proof of this is HUD animation which just goes crazy (like, extreme speed animation), and then whole cycle repeats again and again and agains. This problem also occurs when spectating.

I've tried switching on and off on V-sync and HUD animation, or limitting fps, but I couldn't recognise the pattern to fix it for myself. Usually, when the lag starts happen, I alt tab out, wait for the lag to stop so that computer can start processing my commands, change battery setting to "balanced", alt tab back to the game, restrict the max fps to 25, then start playing the game hoping the cycle would end. This actually worked sometimes, but not every time.

One prediction is that there is a virus in my system, but it will be extremely weird to have a virus that just attacks my league of legends clients.
other perdictions are like "my computer got old, there's too much dust or lenovo sucks" but since LoL sometimes work properly, that mean it does work. I was wondering if there's any tip from riot supporters that I can try out :3

ps. I ran both admin and non-admin version. It still didn't really matter
pss. after the lag start happening, I've never gotten a "certificate verification" pop-ups. Once it appeared then my LoL worked for two days, then it went back to weird cycle lag again.

Rugal100

06-16-2013

u prolly have a virus on ur comp that uses cpu I have exp with 2 such viruses... one used to clog up cpu completely 99% like u said but it kept there overheating the cpu

poz

06-16-2013

Dunno if its due to the recent patch but a few weeks ago i was easily running 50-60 fps.

now i fluctuate from 5-20 fps.

really irritating me

UbaDooba

06-16-2013

Wow I made my post then I saw this. Same thing is happening to me my computer is beyond equipped to handle league at its highest settings.

efthimios

06-16-2013

Same thing happens to me since latest patch. About 2mins into the game the game pretty much just freezes. After about 3-4minutes it returns to normal, but occasionally during the game it may suddenly drop to 1 fps for a few seconds. The longer the game goes on the less it happens. When the game finishes it completely freezes again just before the button appears to exit game. Returns to normal but then freezes again when I click to exit and takes a while to actually close and go back to lobby. Can't play ranked games because I'm always really far behind early on because of this,

efthimios

06-16-2013

What i don't get is that they obviously know this is happening to people and have yet to say anything about it. They could at least acknowledge that it is happening even if they don't know why.

Shurokun

06-16-2013

They don't care. They want money and that is it.

Don't give them any money and best believe they will fix it quickly.

1J Ninja

06-16-2013

spectating a random game seems to be the best way of confirming that you have lag, so before I play any game I spectate a random game to see if I lag. If I do, I tweak my settings a little bit and the lag seems to just disappear FOR THE DAY.

It might have something to do with the booting up of the computer

ps. I wrote this thread

gzboli

Recruiter

06-17-2013

Quote:
when playing LoL the battery is always plugged in with "maximum performance" setting.

Shot in the dark:
Is that through the Lenovo Energy Management program? There is another setting you should make sure is off: Putting the HDD to sleep. Might be called 'smart power saving hard disk'.

BlobPower

06-17-2013

Here are some unusual solutions:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=38067134
if the problem can't be fixed with normal stuff.

Quote:
gzboli:
Shot in the dark:
Is that through the Lenovo Energy Management program? There is another setting you should make sure is off: Putting the HDD to sleep. Might be called 'smart power saving hard disk'.

Good idea, this is important, because the game is constantly reading stuff from HDD. Half those reads get cached by Windows eventually, but then at lvl 6 when everbody is using his ult for the 1st time, your HDD has to wake up to play the ult sounds.