Runes and masteries for Aatrox?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhoenixBomb

06-15-2013

I've been experimenting a bit, but I wanted to get GD's feedback on runes/masteries for Aatrox.

For runes, armor seals and MR glyphs seem pretty standard...but the marks have me wondering. So far, I've primarily used attack speed marks. Higher AS helps build blood pool more quickly and sustain better, although you kinda hit a little soft if you're toggled out of damage mode. I've also tried flat AD, but not as much.

For masteries, I've tried 21/9/0 and 9/21/0. I have an easier time dueling with 21/9/0, but I've found the defense tree allows me to sustain through a lot of punishment.

What are your thoughts, GD?

A Retarded Clown

06-15-2013

the runes where you screw aatrox and play WW/Nunu instead.

Balkai

06-15-2013

9/21/0
AD Marks, Armor yellows, Flat MR or MR/level blues, Lifesteal Quints

HavenKai

06-15-2013

I like 9/21/0 masteries.

Always Armor yellos/MR blues

Marks: AS for jungle: AD for top

Quints 2 Lifesteal, 1 AD or MS

MasqureMan

06-15-2013

Attack Speed marks, attack speed glyphs, attack speed seals, attack speed quints

PhoenixBomb

06-15-2013

So what's the reasoning behind AD marks in top lane?

Balkai

06-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBomb View Post
So what's the reasoning behind AD marks in top lane?
Last hitting and helping out the AD ratio on your abilities

Zhaitan

06-15-2013

AD marks. It helps for last hitting under turret. Also, in small early game trades, your abilities are going to be a higher % of your damage than your autos, so ad will help there. Attack speed helps for extended trades and are better late game. So, in all, I would say it depends on your matchup. However, AD marks will probably be more consistent, so I would take those.

Phoenixlol

06-15-2013

The standard armor seals and mr glyphs, but for marks you really need to get AD. The quints can be adjusted based on your role. AD works just fine, I prefer the LS quints myself. You can consider running AS quints if you are jungling or run AS marks with AD quints.

From my testing he really needs some boost to his AD from the start or he feels very watered down. In early game you will mostly win fights with your Q/E combo, so the AD is very much needed. Best advice is to just run a bunch of games and determine which runes you feel most comfortable with. They certanly can change depending on what role you are taking.

Dont bother with AS marks and LS quints setup though. Imho it sounds good on paper but you dont do any damage. You want the early damage especially if you are rushing a bortk.