@Riot Diana Skin incoming?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-16-2013
10 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si5 Frost View Post
^you'd think those two would be some of the easiest to come up with skin ideas for.

considering they are pretty much average women, it means you have MORE freedom not less.
It's actually not. Blank slates and little to no silhouette landmarks or big geometry to glom onto leaves them in a very odd and nebulous zone where most of what we can do to them feels like color/model swaps. They also don't have any extremely compelling animations, particles, pose, etc. The closer it is to a standard human, the harder it can be to make skins depending on the champions. Women especially. That comes down to mostly costume change which doesn't always provide the most impactful of changes. Depends though.

DemiluniS

06-16-2013

Quote:
LeBlanc - Conceptual. She's actually one our most standard of standard human females.
don't you think leblanc's model is pretty outdated too? the colors are too bright, the model itself pretty blurry and she seems much smaller than any other champion. Is she on the list for a VU or she'll going to get a skin before that?
And one more question, why are you using different faces for different skins of the same champion? this annoyed me since forever.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-16-2013
11 of 12 Riot Posts

The first is just... a hooded woman...

The second has promise. I like the plant/druid thing.

The third is copyrighted :P

GLaD0S

06-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
It's actually not. Blank slates and little to no silhouette landmarks or big geometry to glom onto leaves them in a very odd and nebulous zone where most of what we can do to them feels like color/model swaps. They also don't have any extremely compelling animations, particles, pose, etc. The closer it is to a standard human, the harder it can be to make skins depending on the champions. Women especially. That comes down to mostly costume change which doesn't always provide the most impactful of changes. Depends though.
wouldn't that open the door to many 750 skins in the very least?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...4&d=1348541999

^something like this could turn out to be beautiful!

GLaD0S

06-16-2013

Quote:
The first is just... a hooded woman...

The second has promise. I like the plant/druid thing.

The third is copyrighted :P

beat me too it! the second one is my favorite.

but you could totally put a little spin on the third one! Look at king rammus and his obvious nod to bowser. it could work the same way

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

06-16-2013
12 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si5 Frost View Post
wouldn't that open the door to many 750 skins in the very least?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...4&d=1348541999

^something like this could turn out to be beautiful!
No idea about pricing, but I think potentially a "lower tier" of skins would be promising. Almost like the TPA skins. Mostly model changes.

KaSplushy

06-16-2013

Quote:
It's coming along nicely
Biggest. Tease. EVER!

Leona is probably the one champion I'm waiting on the most, can't wait for her skin!

Thanks for giving us a little more insight to how the thought process and different aspects of the 'skinning' (?) process.

Kopikatsu

06-16-2013

Quote:
Are those important, though? On a scale of 1-10, how important would you say model recognition is?

I could understand the need for silhouettes to match closely in a game like TF2 where the enemy can switch classes on the fly and you're never completely sure what you're going to encounter, so you need to be able to know at a moment's notice. But in League, you know what the enemy team consists of. You know what they look like at champ select. I could understand keeping particles consistent (IE not making a skin for Singed where his W becomes a pile of fire, which someone might mistake for a damaging attack when it's only a slow), but are silhouettes/strict model adherence really such a big deal?

NotBuzzJack

06-16-2013

Quote:
I didn't put a helmet on this one, but I gave some headdress stuff to it. And yeah, I wen't more cloth.
If you have the chance, could you also put some kind of headdress on Dark Valkyrie? It just needs...something there. Like her base skin has the hair band, while Dark Valkyrie just looks bleh. I don't care what you put there, it just needs to fill in the visual space that's missing.