[Guide] Kog'Maw - Hybrid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

schadenfreude

06-25-2010

Originally posted (by me) on the solomid.net forms.

Check out Phreak's Champion Spotlight, his build is very similar and the video is a great demonstration of how to play the character!

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=143932

I figured I'd write up a quick guide for anyone that wants to know how to play Kog'Maw as a hybrid dps character as I've seen that a lot of people are confused by his abilities and attributes. I build a little more to the AP side as I think his abilities favor this.

I'm mid-elo, and this seems to work pretty well in my play range.

Feedback is appreciated! I'm not entirely sure if my build order is the most optimal as I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to LoL theorycraft. This is based off of a build I've been using with Kayle since the change to her passive.

Runes:

Red: magic pen (since he already gets % armor pen from Q)
Yellow: your choice between dodge, HP Per Level, or mana regen/level (I like dodge for early fights, especially if I'm playing 3v3)
Blue: cooldown reductions (more for his Q-W-E, R is short enough!)
Quints: flat HP

Masteries:

9/0/21

Summoner abilities:

I like ghost as I'm usually trying to keep out of range or chase someone down during a fight. Additionally, if you have already used ghost before you reach 0 HP, you'll still have the buff to chase people down for your passive ability, Icathian Surprise (aka suicide bomb).

For my other skill I'll get clarity unless someone on my team is already using it. Kog'Maw is very hungry for mana.

Other abilities to consider:

Flash could work in place of ghost, but it won't help you catch people when at 0 HP as you can't use summoner spells in that state. Ghost overall is more solid for getting away and chasing people down.

Exhaust - really put the hurt on people and shut down bothersome assassins that jump you.

Ignite: if you like early game ganking (by level 2 you're a serious force in this aspect), ignite will definitely help. Also useful against healer heavy teams.

Cleanse: Because it's an awesome ability. If I take cleanse I'm usually more comfortable about switching out my merc treads for sorc shoes.

Skill order:

E
W
E
Q
E
R
E
W
E
W
R
W
W
Q
Q
R
Q
Q

For abilities I get E at level 1 as this helps get away/chase down champions at the start. Additionally, it's a skill shot, so you can use it to clear bushes.

I like to max out E quickly as it's a great pushing/harassing ability.

W comes next as it lets you harass the enemy while they're at towers and will let you put the hurt on HP-heavy setups.

Q is good, but I generally level it up last as you have to get in close range to use it.

Items:

For starting items I get a Meki Pendant and 2 HP pots if I'm in a lane with another character who I can use as a meatshield.

If I'm in a solo lane, or worried about early laning, I'll get a Doran's Ring and an HP pot.

*EDIT*

After playing a bit more I feel that it's more effective to get a Doran's Ring first, then L1 Boots and Guinsoo's Rageblade followed by a Stinger rather than Fiendish Codex

Afterward the build is as follows:

Blasting Wand
*into*
Guinsoo's Rageblade (a must on the character)
L1 Boots
-you can grab these while building the rage blade still, I grab them if I have to back to base and don't have money for a rage blade component or don't want to get a fort pot
Stinger
*into*
Nashor's Tooth
L2 Boots
- Sorcerer's Shoes if I'm doing well and I'm confident in my teams ability to keep me from getting CCed too much, Mercury's Treads if I'm running into a lot of CC. L3 Boots might also be a good idea, I haven't had a chance to really try them out yet. You could easily keep in range for your attacks and be able to chase people down while using R.
After this point it's more about what you think you need.

If you're confident in your ability to stay alive and want to increase your damage output, you could go for a Sheen and build it into Triforce or Litch Bane (these items work very well with Kog'Maw).

Sometimes you need survivability, Rylais Crystal Scepter (also good for chasing people down with your R) or Rod of Ages is a good option, as is a Banshee's Veil (if they're magic heavy).

Other items to consider:

Haunting Guise
Zonya's Ring
Will of the Ancients
Gunblade

Kog'Maw's passive ability, Icathian Surprise

This is one of my favorite passive abilities in the game, if only for the sheer joy of revenge and terror. There's a bit to think about, however!

Consistently hitting people with this ability might cause them to think twice about engaging you, especially in a cramped group fight.

If you're pretty sure you're going to die, don't start running away from the enemy, you want to start close to them so you can chase them down.

The damage is true damage, this means that it ignores any resistance abilities. It will, however, be blocked by shields and spell shields. Especially annoying is Sivir who can even get some mana off of you!

Remember that you can be snared and snares continue from when you were above 0 life.

Although it is fun to try and kill a hero by chasing them down, it's more important to be sure you're going to do the maximum amount of damage. Once you start moving away from the group to chase down a runner, you won't have much time to change your mind. Try to pick your target before you've reached 0HP and start moving towards them (stopping to fire, of course).

If heroes are afraid of your explosion, try and coral them away from your vulnerable team mates.

If you've popped ghost or have a move speed buff it will still be applied when you are at 0 HP (timer allowing). Zoom zoom!

Thanks to Kajitii who pointed out a fun fact: killing your opponent with Icathian Surprise counts as them dying before you. As a result, you can get the ever so coveted "first blood" even though you were brought to 0 HP first.

Thanks to Seymaar who reminded me that the timing on the explosion and your "death" means that you'll get XP from the kill (and they won't).

Thanks to Zahgarak who pointed out that a death when Guardian Angel is providing you with an active buff will not include the explosion or long death animation, instead you'll flop over at the end of the death animation and resurrect afterwards.

A few basic tips:

If you are having trouble in the early laning phase with the other team (and you have been killed), it's often worthwhile to grab a fortitude potion. That way you can engage in a fight, use the potion as a "heal" part way through, and hit even harder with your physical attacks. It can be a great way to get momentum back if things aren't going your way.

Early game, try to line up shots with your E while the enemy champion is close and tangled up in his mobs. Once he's slowed let loose with W and get 3-4 hits in before he can get out of range. If he's real close don't forget to Q!

Check bushes when you haven't used R recently enough to have the mana cost penalty. Remember that the revealed area is pretty small, so it won't check a whole bush for you.

Try to position yourself in fights so that you have obstacles between you and the enemy, Kog'Maw excels at jungle fights because he can keep hitting with his awesome attack range (when W is up) and his R. Try to line up your E so it will both damage champions and block off escape routs (or pursuit routes if your team is losing the engagement).

While it is, of course, important to shut down enemy caries ASAP, you do very good damage to tanks as well.

Be aware that using R can reveal your location (thanks to Kajitii for pointing this out).

Drop your R on squishies or groups during fights, it's up every 1.5 seconds so if you've got the mana you need to make sure to keep this going throughout engagement.

Beg for golem, it lets you spam your R like crazy (the ability is on a very short cool-down)!

A bug you should know about:

Currently (v1.0.0.94) champion "saving" abilities don't seem to work correctly with Kog'Maw, clearly his passive ability is in the way somehow. Apart from Zilean's ult not saving you (**EDIT* Guardian Angel does work, thanks to Zahgarak for pointing this out), it seems like he takes damage through damage shields such as Kayle's or Shen's ult. Even though I've seen myself with 1/5 health not losing health while shielded, suddenly my death ability triggers itself. I am not sure if this is also the case with abilities like Jana's damage shield and Morgana's spell shield. I'm sure these will be fixed in the next patch, but until then make sure to let your team know to not bother with those abilities.

*EDIT*

I have had a few games now where at least Shen's ult had an effect on me as Kog'Maw. I still have not had any success with Zilean's ult, nor have I had a chance to re-test Kayle.

Cactusgod

06-25-2010

I don't want to be rude, because I appreciate the work you put down here, but isn't this almost exactly like Phreak's build in the champion spotlight?

schadenfreude

06-25-2010

I just went and re-watched it, you're right. I didn't realize the skill orders were the same, and the item build is definitely very similar. However, that build is pretty common on people playing Kayle as a hybrid. Either way, I'll include that in the note.

Kyuketsuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-25-2010

It is similar but the bug note is great, thanks for the heads up. You might want boots of speed before your rageblade though, unless you can buy it right out.

schadenfreude

06-25-2010

Ya, like I said, I'll buy L1 boots before Guinsoo's is done if I've had to back and don't have gold for a component and don't want to buy a fort pot. Otherwise I find that, at least during the laning phase, E and Ghost do a good job of keeping the enemy in your range and you out of their range.

TPM Ledbetter

06-25-2010

http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Kog%2...8cbc9e5be8b590

this is how ID build him as a hybrid... leaning on AS and focusing on his w

scaulson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2010

I've noticed a slight bug where the slow from Crystal Scepter either sometimes or never works with kog'maw's ult, so I tend to go for Void Staff instead b/c of its high MP

schadenfreude

06-26-2010

Fair enough, I can't say I've noticed this though.

Malusion

06-26-2010

KogMaw build = Kayle build, both hybrids with range activtion skill.

I recommend it for both

Nashor + guinsoos = rape.

Kajitii

06-26-2010

I actually went ahead and tried out Kog'Maw before reading guides and stuff. For summoner spells, I thought about picking Ghost and Clairvoyance. While it seems everyone would pick Ghost, I want to hear some thoughts about the usefulness of Clairvoyance for Kog'Maw =/

Other things of note:
--R reveals your location when you use it. Be aware of this.
--You can First Blood with Icathian Surprise (not recommended, rofl).
--If you're going AS build, Madred's Bloodrazor stacks with W (for a total of 10% of their health per hit, before MR). Combine this with Lizard buff, and you could potentially do serious damage to anyone, if not outright kill them, provided you aren't CC'd. It's just something to think about.